Default I love my new Outback but problems filling with gas

Hi

I love my Outback, every bit of it. One of the issues I am having is filling it with Gas. It is a 2006. When putting Gas in from a gas pump we always end up wearing it. We have to go real slow to get the gas in. Am I doing something wrong? It seems like there is a tight turn from the fuel inlet but I am not sure. Anyone else having this problem?

That being said even if it takes a while I still love it!!!!

I have the same problem with my 2001 Outback. I will not use the handle lock at the pump, only hold the handle about 1/2 way down, and I keep my ear close to the fuel fill. This way as soon as I hear the gas starting to back up the filler hose, I can let off quickly. However, it only works about half the time. The other half of the time I am cussing at the boat and gas pump, and reaching for the windshield cleaner stuff to try and clean the gas off the side of the boat. The good news is that the gas will clean the brown lake scum off the hull where it runs down it. I think it has something to do with the filler neck being so short, since the tank is right under the back seat?

You probably have a partially blocked vent hose. I have read about that numerous times on this board. If the air can't escape faster than the fuel in pumping in, then the filler tube will back up and you get a little petrol shower.

Good luck, and enjoy your Outback.

Dave

Dave has it right. Take a look or have your dealer look for a blocked or kinked overfill / vent line.

But the more you use the boat, the more you will learn how much it needs based on previous use and gas gauge. Then just fill it 1 gallon short and you will still have lots to go play for the day and not smell like 90 octane the rest of the car ride.

-Joe

One other thing. If your gas vent is lower than where you are filling, then you will end up with that backwash. At first I had the trailer hitch too low on the suburban or where I fill up, the bow was lower in elevation than the backend causing the gas backwash.

When I fill the boat in the water, most of my weight is in the back where the tank is located and my vent is clear so I don't have the same issues.

If you can keep the vent elevation higher than where tank fill is located, this should help you out a little.

CWSPORT
    I have an 04 Outback and have the same problem. I had just posted this same topic in Service and repair. After looking into mine, I believe that the hose is about 1 inch too long and has a kink in it. I opened up the full wing doors on the back ski locker and took the screws out of the back wall and could see the kink in the hose. The previous owner disclosed this as an issue and said his dealer told him that was the way it was. Mine is unacceptable. I have tried holding the pump at half throttle, 1/4... nothing helps.. it backs up and splashes out. Previous owner used 5 gal cans with a siphon hose that drained into tank.... I think the key there was the siphon hose went past the kink. I plan on either taking the gas tank filler cover assembly off and shortening my hose or going back into the ski locker to try to take it off. I found ONE gas station this fall where I could turn the nozzle upside down and for some reason, it would not splash back. But that is not convenient to where I store the boat now...

I would love to hear back if you find a solution to yours.

04OUTBACK
    Madison, MS

Default Vent Hose

I had the same problem with the kink in the vent hose, so I replaced, routed it just right with wide turns and it still splashes no matter what I do!

This spring, I took mine out and replaced it with a hose about 1/2" shorter to take the kink out.... It seems that variances in production and cutting of the hoses must randomly cause this... Mine had a bad kink in it. It is MUCH better now that I replaced the hose. It was a 4 hour ordeal.(including running around getting the hose)..
    Well worth the time. The guy I bought mine from had announced the problem but said the dealership told him it was not a problem/ was normal. NOT NORMAL to take a bath in gas everytime you fill up!

BW
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold