Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Towing Vehicle for 07 Mobius XLV ?

Hello Forum, I am new to the forum and also a soon to be new Mobius XLV owner with the 340 engine. Now that I've ordered this boat which is due in Feb. I now need a new vehicle to tow it with. My wife will not stand for a pickup truck and will not drive the bigger SUV's i.e. Suburban. So I am look at the following. A Dodge 4x4 Durango with the 5.7 liter HEMI V8 which will tow 7250 lbs. or the Toyota Sequoia 4x4 with a 4.7 leter V8 and it will tow 6200 lbs. My fear is that the boat and trailer are 4700 lbs empty. Add five people to ride in the vehicle at say 200 lbs each for 1000 lbs. which brings us to 5700 lbs. and the Toyota is only rated at 6200 lbs. Then add in gas and other boating equipment which could bring it up to the liimits of these two vehicles.

The bottom line is will either of the above vehicle tow the Mobius safely or what vehicle would you recommend I look at.

Thanks Richard

richard, congrats on the boat.

Now to your question, I used to have a 02 Outback and now have a 05 SSV 22. I towed both with my previous 04 Sequoia with no problems what so ever.

I now have a 07 Tahoe and can tell you there there is very little difference in the capiblity of towing between the two vehicles. We generally tow about 1500 miles a year, both on the flats and hilly roads.

If it were me I would take the Sequoia way over the Durango. Much better quality and resale down the road.

db

I use Jeep grand cherokee, and it is rated @ 7700. I have no issues at all!

My thing with towing is not just pulling power but also stopping. I know everyone is going to say the trailer has brakes but it may not things do happen. I have a story about it turned out ok no one hurt. My point is talk to people who have them and see how they like them not just overall but really ask. Given the choice between the two go for the Toyota Sequoia. Just my $0.02

I'd go with the Sequoia. I pull my '06 Mobius LSV with a 2005 Tundra 4x4 and haven't had any problems (including braking). The Sequoia is basically the same vehicle as the Tundra so should handle your XLV just fine. I also believe the Sequoia is a much nicer ride than the Durango. Congrats on the new boat.

For mid sized suvs in that price range with the highest tow capacity -

Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 4.7 or overland 5.7
    Ford Explorer 4x4 4.6
    Land Rover LR3

My ML 500 is rated at 7842lbs and pulls the 06 LSV like it's not there - I agree w/ Ed, get more for safety if you are pulling any long distances and with larger loads (like 5 200lb friends)

-Joe

Personally, I would look at the Chevy Suburban. I know it is a monster, but 5 of my buddies have all put our wives in subs. First they complained and complained and now they won't go to anything else and won't go to anything smaller....which hurt when gas was $3/gal last summer!!

I can pull the boat everywhere with all of our gear and still sit 8 people comforatably in the sub on the way down the road.

They aren't as big as everyone thinks they are.

That is just my humble opinion but based on your post, I agree with everyone else on this one....go with the Toyota. Better gas mileage, dependibility, reliability, and re-sale.

Mine is a strawberry blonde. Would give you the measurements, but don't want to make you druel.

We don't do soccer stickers. We have two stickers on our sub. One is HO SPORTS and the other is Browning guns. If we aren't waterskiing, we are hunting/shooting.

In North Dakota you want a bigger vehicle with the snow/ice and the higher percentage of driving on gravel roads. We aren't conjested with people/traffic like many other states, so bigger vehicles aren't a hassle.

I will say do not get a Expedition my wife drives one and when I tow with it I always say why did we buy this? More of a car than a tow rig. Now I'm not saying it's a bad truck just not made out for towing even with the tow package.

Depends on the year of the Explorer. The new Sport Tracs are supposed to be pretty stout and well built vehicles for a mid sized SUV. The newer 3V heads on the 4.6 have it running at 290hp and the tow rating if equipped properly is 7200lbs. The biggest thing I'd worry about is the independent rear suspension and how it will hold up in the long run if you do a lot of towing. I've already decided that before I purchase my next tow vehicle, I'm taking my boat with me. I'll test drive it with and without pulling the boat before I purchase it. If they don't like that then I'll just take my business elsewhere.