Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Help with wiring sound

Hey Guys,
    Looking for some help with the boat sound system.

I have an outback that we just updated the speakers, we put in the following:

6 speakers Pyle Hydra 75 Watts RMS/150 Watts peak. It has a frequency response of 100 Hz-20 Khz and 4 Ohms impedance

2 tower speakers boss mrwt69 550 Watts, 275 watts rms 4 OhmsFrequency response: 40Hz – 20kHz

The boat has a Excile 800.4 amp which is a 4 channel amp

I may or may not put a sub in depending on the sound quality but i do have a separate sub amp that i can use

Can i use this excile amp to power these speakers? Or will it be over working the amp? I'm not looking to spend alot if anything more

Here are specs of the amp

Into 2ohm stereo 200x4
    Into 4ohm stereo 125x4
    4ohm bridged 400x2

Could i run them in parallel/series and be good to run 2ohm?

Pair up the front 2 speakers in series , pair up the 2 mid speakers in series. Pair up the 2 rear speakers in series. They are 4ohm each. Run them in series and give 8 ohms for each pair. Which
    Last edited by Dom08; 01-07-2019 at 02:51 AM.

First and foremost, I do not like to pair tower speakers and in-boat speakers on the same amp chnls, as this has them playing at the same volume level. Not very user friendly. I suggest a pair of amp chnls just for the tower speakers. With a 4 chnl amp and and 8 speakers, theres no good way, but to run the bow pair on the head unit.

2nd, thats an old-school class-a/b amp. Driving 8 speakers with all 4 chnls at 2 ohm is a hefty load, and could overheat the amp and put it in protect mode from time to time.

The actual RMS wattage from that amp is about half of what those advertised specs are, so running a pair at 8 ohm, is going to be very low wattage output, although it does reduce the load on the amp.

Overall best scenario, pick up a 2 chnl amp, or a small 4 chnl (bridged into 2 chnl mode) just for the tower speakers. Leave the 4 chnl just for the 6 in-boats.

Now if i run a sub ill need an additional amp for that. So 3 amps in the boat?

For the boat speaker should they be in parallel or series?
    Last edited by Dom08; 01-08-2019 at 03:36 AM.

Now if i run a sub ill need an additional amp for that. So 3 amps in the boat?
    You would need a pair of chnls for the woofer. You could go with another 4 chnl, or a 5 or 6 chnl that would drive the tower pair and the woofer. So technically only one more amp to wiring up, but it lends the number needed chnls.

Ok.
    So from the head unit we would use the sub preout and plug it into the sub... and also use the speaker preouts from the head unit and plug them into the same amp and hook up the towers and sub to that amp?
    I believe my kenwood head unit has 6 pre outs for speakers so for the towers they would share the preout for the front speakers for audio?

With the 3 pair (front, rear, woofer) pre-amp rca outputs, there are a number of ways you can configure the setup. Part, with depend on the final amp choices and what speakers they end up driving. You can signal the woofer amp chnls with a full range front or rear RCA pre-amp output, as well.

Ok the other amp i have is a

Kenwood KAC-7021
    150 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
    230 watts x 2 at 2 ohms
    460 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms
    stereo or bridged mono output
    4-ohm stable in bridged mode

Excile 800.4 amp
    Into 2ohm stereo 200x4
    Into 4ohm stereo 125x4
    4ohm bridged 400x2

Speakers
    6 speakers Pyle Hydra 75 Watts RMS/150 Watts peak. It has a frequency response of 100 Hz-20 Khz and 4 Ohms impedance

2 tower speakers boss mrwt69 550 Watts, 275 watts rms 4 OhmsFrequency response: 40Hz – 20kHz

And looking to put in my boston acoustic 12inch sub in also

Can you guys help me with the proper way to hook these up?

With that setup, I would run the 3 pair of in-boats on the 4 chnl

pair of tower speaker on the 2 chnl

This leaves a mono or 2 chnl to pick up for the woofer. If you know more details of the woofer, like model and coil impedance/configuration, we could offer some specifics on what amp for be good for it.

Thanks for the reply, I don't have a manual as i bought the boat last year. I dug into the set up last night and found the 2 front speakers are wired up individually and the 4 back speakers are wired in series (left mid and left rear wired in series, right mid and right rear are wired in series) so on the amp there are 4 hook ups for 6 speakers. Can i keep this set up? Or will it run the amp too hot?