Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bigger gas tank & new carpet?

I have a couple of sort of odd questions. First, is there any way to put a larger gas tank in my 2001 Outback DD? With only a 27 gallon tank and about 1300 pounds of ballast, I only get 6.5 hours at the absolute maximum on the lake. Now considering that in the middle of summer there are 14+ hours of daylight, this can be annoying. I have to either get to the lake late or leave early all while keeping my eye on the hour meter (since the fuel guage is useless). If I take out the factory ballast tanks, there is physically room, but is it worth the hassle to find a larger tank (which one would fit or, worst case, would I have to get one made) and deal with switching it out?

Second, my carpet could use replacing, and I don't want to deal with cutting the new carpet around everything, and I want a properly done job. So is it possible to separate the top and bottom hull pieces without too much work? Are they just screwed together or is there some NASA developed super epoxy in the joint as well. It would be nice to be able to do this, then the new carpet can be laid down in large pieces and it would go under everything, just like it is from the factory.

So are these possible or do I just need to buy a few 5 gallon gans cans and deal with some carpet that is not perfect? Or maybe I should just buy a new Mobius LSV. It has both a 40 gallon tank and new carpet! Although 40 gallons is still only abuot 8-10 hours of fuel.

Or maybe I should just buy a new Mobius LSV...

My vote!

And since the hull is larger and the v-drive creates a larger wake already, you will need less ballast, that plus the more efficient engine and you will probably get a much longer day.

-J

Hey NCU,

Have you considered any of those large gas cans that actually have the nozzle right in them I think you can get ones that would hold a full second tank of gas. They have wheels on them etc. It might be worth looking into.

Cheers

Jay

Yea, man. I have seen those portable tanks with the hose. Its a great idea, but I'm concerned about leaving it in the back of the truck all day at the boat ramp. I wonder if you can lock those somehow.

Any thoughts on the hull separation idea?

And one more question too. Has anyone tried to reverse the hull spreading phenomenon? Do you think using ratchet straps or similar to hold the hull together over the winter would help it "remember" where it is supposed to be? Or pull it further than where it is supposed to be so when the tension is released it will settle back to where it is supposed to be? Make any sense? Was there ever any warranty issues with this problem? It is not a huge deal, but if it moves much more, then my walk through windshield could fall through the opening. Do I have to unmount the entire windshield and move it in and remounted it? Sounds like kind of a pain, and solving the wrong problem, ya know.

Thanks!

NEW LSV - first choice!

2nd choice - 5 gallon gas cans and deal with it.

New carpet is a "fun" winter project. I installed new carpet in a 2001 Mobius DD. It wasn't to bad. I used wood shims to to get a little clearance between the points where needed. Then I pulled and pushed the carpet under the points of contact. For instance, the observation seat, remove the brackets that attach it to the floor and shim it up, you then have enought room to get the carpet through. I spent somewhere in the area of 40 to 60 hours installing new carpet. I did a little at a time over the course of a month or two.

I even have photos I could e-mail if you are interested.

Yellow - did you recarpet the deck or inside the underseat compartments as well ?

I think NSCU wants to rip out ALL the carpet and start fresh.

I think the two halves of the boat are held together only by screws - hundreds of them , but screws nontheless. They are all under the rubrail. My question is: Ok, so you remove the rubrail, you unscew the hundreds of screws, you remove all the larger objects holding the two pieces together, unattach the the sterring and throtle systems... disconnect all the electronics, now what ? Do you have a forklift that can pull the 2 pieces apart and then set the top one somewhere safe ???

Just curious - I am so amazed at people who want to undertake projects like this. Impressed even.

Have fun no matter which direction you chose.

-J

Just the main floor area, not under everything. I have to agree, seperating the top and bottom hull is something only SC should be doing. I can't imagine getting everything to line back up and the problems one might encounter down the road.

I do have access to a forklift of sorts, a bobcat with a set of pallet forks. However, I was thinking more along the lines of possibly rigging up a lifting frame somehow, maybe weld one up from some steel or aluminum angles and suspend it from the trusses in my garage. Of course if the tower and windshield are taken off, and the upholstery is out, there is not a lot left to weigh that much. I am sure that I could call my wakeboard buddies from www.endofropegang.com, and six to eight guys could probably pick it up and move it. The connections to everything make me less nervous than realiging the hull putting it back on. It is quite an ambitious undertaking and I am sure my anal-retentive perfectionism is driving some of this, but mostly it is from a previous owner not taking care of the boat as I would. Thanks for the help gang, and more advice would be appreciated, or to just tell me I'm nuts.

Your're nuts!

I bought my Outback new because I planned on keeping it for a long time, and I didn't want to pay for other people's neglect and laziness. I think that you should enjoy your current boat and save the money that you would spend on restoration to put towards a new one. I am a bit anal retentive myself, so I do get where you are coming from. There is nothing like a new boat!

My friend bought a 2004 Tige 21i with 187 hrs for $17k three months after I spent $30k on my 2005 Outback. I still feel that I got the better deal. His seats are sun-damaged, carbed motor (320hp) is a dog, tranny feels like it has gravel in it, and the starter sometimes needs to be coaxed into working (with a hammer.) Mine is now a year old with 80 hrs on it, and it looks better then when I picked it up at the dealership (I'm better at detailing than Z-Marine.)

Just my $.02.

Dave

LMAO - going to lift half my boat with a bobcat.

That's a hoot. Please film this event.

Gona wrap her back together with duct tape?

I'm with gotmyboat - that plan is nuts.

A neighbor redid his Nauty carpet vinyl etc. The boat was never lifted in two by a bobcat. I'd use a corner trim myself.

Actually - I'd buy a new boat.

SD2