Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kids in bow...

Sad story. Probably leaning too far over and things happened too fast to react. Yikes.
    2018 Supra SL400

Very sad story and only 1h15mins up the road from here.
    Was a still and foggy day, while no doubt a few boats out it wouldn't have been busy by any stretch.
    Having visited and run a SeaRay around that same area it is full of snags, rocks, trees, old fence lines etc and the lake being at 57% would bring all that closer to the surface. Just saying it's a bit freaky driving around there and not something you'd do at speed. The family visited the area frequently and was known to the locals so they obviously knew the area. Said in the news reports that the kid had a life jacket on and was apparently sucked into the prop rotation/path. Don't really understand how that happens, my heart goes out to the family and those that helped. Not sure how you'd get over something like that...ever.
    Just re-considering what I say to my teenage daughters when they're up in the bow if I see them fooling around while underway.
    Cheers BruceR, Melb AUS.
    Bruce
    2014 Moomba Mondo

Terrible situation to all involved.
    I have 50+ years experience in boats and a 5 and 8 year old. For me it's is an absolute rule NO KIDS in the bow when towing EVER, whether it my boat or someone else's. To me if i am towing surf or wake it is 100% about the rider. I do not need the distraction or responsibility of checking kids in the bow while towing and more importantly while I'm picking up fallen riders.
    It takes a split second for someone to fall out and another split second for them to be munched by the prop. Even at idle they will be under the boat in less than a second. If you are picking up a rider you cannot watch the rider/rope and your kids at the same time. If you think you can or you think that your kids are 100% going to keep there bums on the seat you are kidding yourself.
    Sure the chances are that this is never going to happen, it rarely does until it does... and then, well it is unimaginable!

Quote Originally Posted by cpropes2005 View Post
    I saw the post in the facebook group about the accident in Australia. It sounded like there was a 5 year old riding in the bow and he went overboard. So tragic and I cant even imagine what that family is going through.

It did get me wondering if this is a freak accident or should I change my own behavior to make sure this never happens to us. Our kids (5 and 7) love riding up front and so do all of their friends. Every kid on our boat knows that the rule is if you sit up front your bottom has to be touching the seat at all times, no bouncing, sitting up on your knees or horseplay. I have been know to yell in my most scary voice at any kid who violates this rule so for the most part they all follow it nicely. We have been doing this for a long time without any issues but it only takes once and I don't want to be complacent with the kids safety.

Thoughts from any of you guys that have young kids on your boat on a regular basis?
    I think that your rules and approach are reasonable. You're being plenty responsible IMO and I wouldn't feel compelled to be any stricter. Around here, you have to have your life jacket on while underway if you're under 13, so that's just part of the expectations around here. I'm fine with people in the bow while doing watersports. Heck, bow ballast is great for surfing! If the kids aren't mature enough to handle themselves, they get corrected.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

This is no joke... I consider myself as an above average driver and I've had a grown ass man go over the bow. You will have the worst minute of your life if this happens. Till this day I still have no clue how he went over but thankful he didn't get hurt.
    DFTR Josh
    Supra/Moomba
    www.marine-products.com (Discount Code: DFTR-1)

I cant even imagine how terrifying that would be.

I like the idea of no kids up front while towing people. Like Slinger said that can quickly become too much for the driver to keep an eye on everything at all times. Either that or just tell one of the other adults to sit up there with them and put them in charge of supervising the kiddos.
    2015 Mojo with autoflow

Default Kids in bow...

The whole towing piece makes good sense. Lotta stuff going on there.

I have even considered some little rail up there to supplement the safety. Never really found something elegant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I leave my snap bow cover on, keeps the kids in the boat. They camp out in the bow but can't go over the side with the cover on. It's like a fort on the water..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

If you got room for kids in the bow, you don’t have enough ballast lol

Quote Originally Posted by padge View Post
    If you got room for kids in the bow, you don’t have enough ballast lol

Lead.....
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold