Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Over time the resale value will be close to the same for similar boats. My 98 dd went up in value the last three years and the NADA actually exceeded other brands of the same year. BTW, I sold my boat of 16 years for the same price I bought it for. I gain more information on products reading people's reviews rather than listen to a salesman especially if issues are mentioned multiple times.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I would not worry about any issues with the mondo. it's a solid boat that will hold up well and still be in the ballpark of resale with all the other brands...

as mentioned on another forum, my .02 is always look for the longest hull you can if you are going to surf as your primary activity. Your wanting for another boat will not be due to issues/problems with the mondo, it will be having spent time on a longer hull and want a different wave.

a salesman that is disparaging others' products would be my first clue to find another dealer if those are the tactics they resort to.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by jwl019 View Post
    Did you demo both boats?

I don't think you will regret it, if you got a boat you can comfortably afford and checks all the boxes of what you were looking for in a boat. Also, if the Moomba dealer has a good reputation and service department then you made a great choice.

I bought a new boat recently and it came down to Moomba and a leftover 18 Malibu 23 LSV. I was looking for a good size bimini, storage, ease of set up to surf/wakeboard, and no bags on top of seats in the boat.

I wanted a Moomba, so I tried the Makai, Mojo, and Craz. I thought the Makai was going to be my boat but the stock surf wave completely disappointed me. It could get better by swapping out bags and adding more bags under the seats and lead, but then I loose my storage. The Craz really impressed me how easy it was to get a good wave, and with upgrading the rear bags to a little bigger and adding lead in places (additional $7-1,000 just guessing, maybe more) it will get even better. The Mojo was about the same as the Craz but needed a little more weight.

Next up was the 23 LSV, since I had already prepped myself for the Makai price, the Malibu price was already feasible. It could use around 250-300 lbs of lead at most near the bow and no need to swap out the bags that the dealer put in the boat. It came down to price for me, since the spread between a '19 Craz and a '18 Mojo to the Malibu was only $10-12k, it made it a no brainer to go with the Malibu. If it would have been $16-18k spread, the Craz or Mojo would have been more appealing to me. No need to upgrade bags, and the Malibu already had surf pipe on it so no additional cost for those items.
    You found a leftover boat with upgrades that was heavily discounted. This scenario will always win—that’s a high trim boat (comparable to Supra) vs the entry level boat. Of course it’s going to win out.

Similarly if you had found a leftover Moomba, then it would be a valid pair to compare. I would sure hope you would buy a 23LSV in that scenario!

It’s really too bad people demo Makais with stock ballast. That’s not gonna cut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    Similarly if you had found a leftover Moomba, then it would be a valid pair to compare. I would sure hope you would buy a 23LSV in that scenario!

It’s really too bad people demo Makais with stock ballast. That’s not gonna cut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There was one leftover '18 Craz, but my buddy who I took to demo the Makai bought it lol! The '18 Mojo was the Pro which is why it didn't have a big enough spread for me to to pass on the LSV.

I did look at the Axis T23 and I definitely agree with the sentiments above that I would take a Craz or Mojo over it, based on the look of the boat/interior alone. Price was somewhat similar too. I did not demo the T23 since I dislike the interior, small bimini, and no assist mechanism for lowering the tower.
    Jeremy

2018 Malibu 23 LSV
    2010 Malibu VLX - Sold
    2001 Malibu VLX - Sold
    1999 Malibu VLX - Sold
    2001 Malibu LXi - Sold
    1997 Malibu LX - Sold
    1994 Mastercraft PS205 - Sold
    1985 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes - wish I still had

Trust your gut, you did the research and made the call. Don't let some sales guy try to undermine your gut! He's gonna say anything to make the sale which should be a huge red flag.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Get it weighted properly, you'll love the Mondo.
    Last edited by Shoebox; 11-22-2018 at 03:29 AM.
    2019 Supra SL450

Wow. That's a beautiful wave. If you would let me know how ballast it took.
    2019 Mondo

Good pic. Clean!!

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by jason1973 View Post
    Just got a few concerns;

I recently ordered a new Mondo with the surf package that includes a bag in front and upgraded bags in the rear with surf prop etc... i think we got a lot for the money so buying a Moomba worked out for us. I feel we would have had to sacrifice to much going with Malibu/Axis and Mastercraft for the price we wanted to pay.

so i have a dealer (NON Skiers choice) who i was working with on a Malibu/Axis. He is still trying to convince me that Moomba is not a good choice. Telling me i will be sorry if we want to surf and that resale is bad, it won't surf well, it doesn't have surf gate etc... and that no one ever buys another moomba again after owning one.

Since i am a new buyer and not a familiar with these boats as many on this site, i am looking for validation that i did the right thing. Just here to see if others agree. Please be honest and take brand bias out of it best you can. I worked hard to get this boat so i am hoping it will be right for us.
    thanks.
    IMO resale is only up to the owner and how well you maintain your boat. Keeping every receipt and showing maintenance records says "I love my boat" and not I own a Malibu. Your buying/building a boat, last thing you should be thinking about is resale.
    Negative selling tactics is the WORST! Bashing other brands to make yours look better IMO is signs of a week sales person.
    So did you make a good choice... YES! Surf gate is a wonderful product and works fantastic! My experience with it is on a 23LSV & M235. I felt I was fighting the steering wheel all day and just got old. Another issue that i didn't like is you had to take the surf gate off turning around. With the gate deployed you couldn't steer in one direction. The owner just told me to turn the opposite way, all good a great till you have to adjust on the fly approaching your down rider. Surf waves were great but as a full time driver the last thing I wanted was fighting to keep the boat tracking on a long hot day. Dealing with Moomba and mostly a MAX last season I was able to let go of the steering wheel and the boat would stay pretty much on track when the surf tabs were deployed. Zero issues turning with the surf system on and felt confident around down riders. It's going to take more tweaking out of the box for a Moomba but once you get it you wont look back. Not sure if you got Autowake but this is what will set Moomba higher then any other brand. No matter the crew, ballast, gas, etc. you will always have that consistent wave. Being able to watch your pitch and roll almost becomes addictive, it's so damn cool.
    That surf pic of the Mondo... WOW!
    DFTR Josh
    Supra/Moomba
    www.marine-products.com (Discount Code: DFTR-1)

Quote Originally Posted by jason1973 View Post
    Wow. That's a beautiful wave. If you would let me know how ballast it took.
    1100s in the lockers, stock center tank, 750 IBS, 150 lead under each rear bag, 170 lead under the bow filler cushion, and 200 lbs on the surf side rear floor.
    2019 Supra SL450