Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Information on purchase.. did i do the right thing...

Just got a few concerns;

I recently ordered a new Mondo with the surf package that includes a bag in front and upgraded bags in the rear with surf prop etc... i think we got a lot for the money so buying a Moomba worked out for us. I feel we would have had to sacrifice to much going with Malibu/Axis and Mastercraft for the price we wanted to pay.

so i have a dealer (NON Skiers choice) who i was working with on a Malibu/Axis. He is still trying to convince me that Moomba is not a good choice. Telling me i will be sorry if we want to surf and that resale is bad, it won't surf well, it doesn't have surf gate etc... and that no one ever buys another moomba again after owning one.

Since i am a new buyer and not a familiar with these boats as many on this site, i am looking for validation that i did the right thing. Just here to see if others agree. Please be honest and take brand bias out of it best you can. I worked hard to get this boat so i am hoping it will be right for us.

thanks.
    2019 Mondo

Of course he wants to do anything to sell you a boat. That’s great...it puts you in control. Make the bastard work for your money. What’s he willing to sell a comparable boat for? I’m guess a $20k premium over what you paid.

Mondo surfs just fine. What are the prices you paid for your Mondo and what he is offering...what is it a 20 VTX, or an A20?

If it’s an Axis, go sit in one and look at the dash, vinyl, and tower and compare that to the new Moombas. They can’t hold a candle to the Moombas and are more expensive too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

I went through the buying process last year. After looking at ALL the options we decided on a Moomba Craz. None of the other boats we looked at with a similar price point even came close. With a season and 100hrs under our belt I would 100% buy the Moomba again. Fit and finish is as nice if not nicer than all others similarly priced. Nice touches in the boat (stainless cup holders, billet aluminum accents) really dress it up. As far as the surf I'm totally satisfied. I had the opportunity to surf behind a Tige and a Supra this summer and the Moomba holds it's own with boats twice the price. I did add a couple 400lb floor sacs for days with a small crew. Also as a new boat owner I found autowake to be a great learning tool. At the beginning of the season we could just turn it on and have a very good wake. At the end of the season and more understanding of the system I was able to tweak the settings and make a great wake. You will love it. Lmk if you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The dealer is getting comparable pricing on Axis and Tige. Leftover 2018's vs what i ordered (2019 mondo). And trust me, Axis is out.. I don't usually brand bash but the quality just isn't there comparing it to Moomba. I was horribly surprised and ruled them out. Tige, i don't know anyone who has one and never heard any good things but that was in the past and not the newer line up (R21).

For a 21 LSV the pricing is much higher.. about 18k. Just don't want to go that high. I don't want to name the dealer (live in Ohio).
    2019 Mondo

My decision was down to the Craz and the Tige r21. Once again bang for the buck Moomba was far ahead. Look at the finish between the two as well as the layout (didn't like the extended bow cushion between the windshield). Surf would be very comparable as well. FYI if you haven't pulled the trigger on buying the Moomba yet I'd wait till boat show season. I got an additional $1500 off plus 2 extra years on motor warranty.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That 21lsv is a really nice boat... but I was in your shoes a few months ago (narrowed down to Malibu or Moomba) and I could not justify the $18k difference. Yes the Malibu has touch screens (I prefer switches) and I did like the wave with the wedge and gates... but I added bags and am very happy with how my boat surfs.

We bought our boat new in 2007 and have not regretted it once since then. We also bought the Moomba because of the price point but have had no issues with it and have enjoyed every second in it. I cannot speak to the Mondo specifically but you will not be disappointed in buying a Skiers Choice product. As for surfing, I have upgraded ballast etc and have a very surfable wave. If we can get a good wave out of a 2007 LSV, I have to believe you will get a good wave out of a new Mondo.
    twkoehn
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1100s in rear lockers
    750 lb IBS
    Acme 1847

Did you demo both boats?

I don't think you will regret it, if you got a boat you can comfortably afford and checks all the boxes of what you were looking for in a boat. Also, if the Moomba dealer has a good reputation and service department then you made a great choice.

I bought a new boat recently and it came down to Moomba and a leftover 18 Malibu 23 LSV. I was looking for a good size bimini, storage, ease of set up to surf/wakeboard, and no bags on top of seats in the boat.

I wanted a Moomba, so I tried the Makai, Mojo, and Craz. I thought the Makai was going to be my boat but the stock surf wave completely disappointed me. It could get better by swapping out bags and adding more bags under the seats and lead, but then I loose my storage. The Craz really impressed me how easy it was to get a good wave, and with upgrading the rear bags to a little bigger and adding lead in places (additional $7-1,000 just guessing, maybe more) it will get even better. The Mojo was about the same as the Craz but needed a little more weight.

Next up was the 23 LSV, since I had already prepped myself for the Makai price, the Malibu price was already feasible. It could use around 250-300 lbs of lead at most near the bow and no need to swap out the bags that the dealer put in the boat. It came down to price for me, since the spread between a '19 Craz and a '18 Mojo to the Malibu was only $10-12k, it made it a no brainer to go with the Malibu. If it would have been $16-18k spread, the Craz or Mojo would have been more appealing to me. No need to upgrade bags, and the Malibu already had surf pipe on it so no additional cost for those items.
    Jeremy

2018 Malibu 23 LSV
    2010 Malibu VLX - Sold
    2001 Malibu VLX - Sold
    1999 Malibu VLX - Sold
    2001 Malibu LXi - Sold
    1997 Malibu LX - Sold
    1994 Mastercraft PS205 - Sold
    1985 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes - wish I still had

Quote Originally Posted by jwl019 View Post
    Did you demo both boats?

I don't think you will regret it, if you got a boat you can comfortably afford and checks all the boxes of what you were looking for in a boat. Also, if the Moomba dealer has a good reputation and service department then you made a great choice.

I bought a new boat recently and it came down to Moomba and a leftover 18 Malibu 23 LSV. I was looking for a good size bimini, storage, ease of set up to surf/wakeboard, and no bags on top of seats in the boat.

I wanted a Moomba, so I tried the Makai, Mojo, and Craz. I thought the Makai was going to be my boat but the stock surf wave completely disappointed me. It could get better by swapping out bags and adding more bags under the seats and lead, but then I loose my storage. The Craz really impressed me how easy it was to get a good wave, and with upgrading the rear bags to a little bigger and adding lead in places (additional $7-1,000 just guessing, maybe more) it will get even better. The Mojo was about the same as the Craz but needed a little more weight.

Next up was the 23 LSV, since I had already prepped myself for the Makai price, the Malibu price was already feasible. It could use around 250-300 lbs of lead at most near the bow and no need to swap out the bags that the dealer put in the boat. It came down to price for me, since the spread between a '19 Craz and a '18 Mojo to the Malibu was only $10-12k, it made it a no brainer to go with the Malibu. If it would have been $16-18k spread, the Craz or Mojo would have been more appealing to me. No need to upgrade bags, and the Malibu already had surf pipe on it so no additional cost for those items.
    You found a leftover boat with upgrades that was heavily discounted. This scenario will always win—that’s a high trim boat (comparable to Supra) vs the entry level boat. Of course it’s going to win out.

Similarly if you had found a leftover Moomba, then it would be a valid pair to compare. I would sure hope you would buy a 23LSV in that scenario!

It’s really too bad people demo Makais with stock ballast. That’s not gonna cut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll be very happy with your moomba, especially how they have improved with 2019. Honestly, I would be worried about resale with an axis right about now, they improved their vinyl, but I can't believe they still haven't improved the helm for 2019. They are well overdo for a style update.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2016 Mojo surf edition
    1100lbs rear w/ 475lbs piggyback mid/ center 700lbs/ 500lbs IBS/ 600 lbs lead
    ACME 2315