Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Maybe i should just bring it in to get it done, im not catching on...
    Maybe ill just subdcribe to the drain the system club

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    NO do not do this.....it will not work.....the thermostat lets hot coolant out... most of the antifreeze will bypass the block and flow right out the exhaust mani. What little that does enter the block will be so diluted with block water you will have no freeze protection.
    I’ve done this for 4 years in northern Saskatchewan never had a problem I usually run the boat dry for about 10 seconds to get as much of the water out before putting 12 jugs of anti freeze through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 outbackv

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    I’ve done this for 4 years in northern Saskatchewan never had a problem I usually run the boat dry for about 10 seconds to get as much of the water out before putting 12 jugs of anti freeze through

And when the thermostat is closed that’s when it’s bypassing the block the thermostat open is pulling cold water from the lake through the block to cool

2013 outbackv

And when the thermostat is closed that’s when it’s bypassing the block the thermostat open is pulling cold water from the lake through the block to cool

not quite, Water flows from the impeller thru the water distribution housing above the thermostat over to the j tube and down to the circulating pump that then circulates it into the block. Excess water bypasses the pump and flows to the exhaust manifolds. Water only flows out of the block thru the thermostat if the block is up to or above 160. Take off your thermostat housing and look at how water is directed. Your block is living on borrowed time

please tell me how the hot hot water exits the block in your scenario if the cool water is being sucked in thru the thermostat?

to make it simple to understand.....what do you think would happen to the thermostat as soon as anything less than 160 degrees passed thru it? I'll give you the answer.... Close!...... and how much antifreeze do you then think will enter the block?........
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 11-04-2018 at 12:16 AM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    not quite, Water flows from the impeller thru the water distribution housing above the thermostat over to the j tube and down to the circulating pump that then circulates it into the block. Excess water bypasses the pump and flows to the exhaust manifolds. Water only flows out of the block thru the thermostat if the block is up to or above 160. Take off your thermostat housing and look at how water is directed. Your block is living on borrowed time

please tell me how the hot hot water exits the block in your scenario if the cool water is being sucked in thru the thermostat?

to make it simple to understand.....what do you think would happen to the thermostat as soon as anything less than 160 degrees passed thru it? I'll give you the answer.... Close!...... and how much antifreeze do you then think will enter the block?........
    So in your understanding of a cooling system is that the thermostat opens flushes the block and closes? And as for the sucking through the thermostat I’m not sure where you got that from never said that it was at the beginning of the cooling loop and lastly a thermostat opens and closes at 100 not 160

2013 outbackv

So in your understanding of a cooling system is that the thermostat opens flushes the block and closes? And as for the sucking through the thermostat I’m not sure where you got that from never said that it was at the beginning of the cooling loop and lastly a thermostat opens and closes at 100 not 160

The tstat begins to open at 160 and is not fully open until approx 170 degrees F. If you think its 100 whether celcius or farhenheit , and that the thermostat can be open or closed at that same temperature you need to do a little more reading and educate yourself. There is no flushing, the thermostat maintains the engine coolant temperature around 160+ with a 160 degree thermostat by allowing appropriate amounts of hot coolant out and cooler coolant in on a continuous basis dependant on the cooling requirements of the motor. You said " the thermostat open is pulling cold water from the lake through the block to cool
    Your right, you said pulling not sucking. The thermostat does not pull cold water(coolant) is what I should have said instead of sucking. (Pulling is a synonym of sucking but sucking is not a synonym of pulling so I was incorrect in that assumption and appologize for that) So in your scenario how does hot coolant exit the block if an open thermostat is pulling it in?
    The impeller pulls water from the lake and pushes it up to the distribution housing where it goes to either to the exhaust manifold or the circulating pump where it will then be pushed or circulated into the block only if the coolant temperature is above 160 and the thermostat has allowed some of the 160+ coolant out of the block.
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 11-06-2018 at 08:29 AM. Reason: For fun
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

I don’t have an open loop system, but why not simply remove the thermostat to make filling with antifreeze immediately versus waiting for it to warm up?

Drain water, remove Tstat, pull AF in, then add Tstat back in before next season.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

but why not simply remove the thermostat to make filling with antifreeze immediately versus waiting for it to warm up?
    The empty block will fill on its own, when you restart engine with the A/F sucking in. No need to split a gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    The empty block will fill on its own, when you restart engine with the A/F sucking in. No need to split a gasket.
    +1^^^^^^^^^^^
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug

We need a how to video on how to do this for AF