Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Does your boat have catalytic converters?

On mine, there wasn't an easy way to draw antifreeze directly into the water pump. I used a fake-a-lake. You do need to drain all the water first, and reconnect all the hoses and plugs.

I suppose I will be fogging the cylinders directly though at some point. Maybe tomorrow if it's not raining.
    Last edited by Shoebox; 10-29-2018 at 01:13 AM.
    2019 Supra SL450

Many will tell you that it's silly not to do anti-freeze. IF you do, you need to be sure that either the thermostat is pulled or the engine is up to temp to ensure it's getting into the areas behind the thermostat. OR they say that you DRAIN first completely, then fill with anti-freeze. This seems the best suggestion.

Personally I subscribe to the "drain completely, there's nothing left to freeze" camp. The downside to this is that the Pro-antifreeze camp will say that the antifreeze makes it so your empty block isn't getting corrosion.

If I was going to use antifreeze, I'd add a flush pro valve or intert a brass ball valve Tee so you can tap the garden hose into the intake line. No way I'm going to mess with a plunger whatever setup. Sure the flush pro is expensive (my boat already had one) but it's dirt cheap to add a brass ball valve tee so you simply connect the hose and turn the lever.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Many will tell you that it's silly not to do anti-freeze. IF you do, you need to be sure that either the thermostat is pulled or the engine is up to temp to ensure it's getting into the areas behind the thermostat. OR they say that you DRAIN first completely, then fill with anti-freeze. This seems the best suggestion.
    That's what I did. Worked great.

Personally I subscribe to the "drain completely, there's nothing left to freeze" camp. The downside to this is that the Pro-antifreeze camp will say that the antifreeze makes it so your empty block isn't getting corrosion.
    That's fine if you live in an area where you don't regularly get below-zero weather. I look at it as cheap insurance, and the mechanic at the marina puts antifreeze in all the boats he winterizes. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

If I was going to use antifreeze, I'd add a flush pro valve or intert a brass ball valve Tee so you can tap the garden hose into the intake line. No way I'm going to mess with a plunger whatever setup. Sure the flush pro is expensive (my boat already had one) but it's dirt cheap to add a brass ball valve tee so you simply connect the hose and turn the lever.
    That would be a great solution. However, the fake-a-lake worked great and was easy to do, and I don't have a bucket of antifreeze inside my boat.
    2019 Supra SL450

So if we use the garden hose to bring the boat up to temp we can shut it down and put the hose into a bucket of antifreeze and it will suck it in and we can run that into the system?

Since the garden hose should prime the system

Quote Originally Posted by Dom08 View Post
    So if we use the garden hose to bring the boat up to temp we can shut it down and put the hose into a bucket of antifreeze and it will suck it in and we can run that into the system?

Yes, but then the antifreeze will be diluted with water. Better to drain the water out. Took me about an hour, having never done it before. Probably half that next time.
    2019 Supra SL450

I do not recommend this method, as you end up with a diluted mixture in the block, thats impossible to predict its protection level. A good portion of the A/F is going to divert right to the exhaust. What does enter the block, will mix with the water. You wont get a wall of A/F that pushes the water out.

Drain all the water first, then induce the A/F if you feel its still needed.

As to corrosion protection, that depends on what type marine/RV antifreeze you use. Some are intended for fresh water systems that are 99% plastic and rubber.

Use marine AF propylene glycol. Avoid RV alcohol based AF intended for RV and marine plumbing systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Use marine AF propylene glycol. Avoid RV alcohol based AF intended for RV and marine plumbing systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ^^^ Use this ^^^

This was an interesting read: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=70342
    2018 Supra SL400

Dom08 - Drain all water. Then, fill with antifreeze. Take a look at this. Did it every year for 2007 Outback. Lived in Midwest where temps could dip below zero. Probably not necessary, but my effort to give the engine best care I could and avoid corrosion. - Deerfield

https://forum.moomba.com/album.php?albumid=320
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Quote Originally Posted by Dom08 View Post

NO do not do this.....it will not work.....the thermostat lets hot coolant out... most of the antifreeze will bypass the block and flow right out the exhaust mani. What little that does enter the block will be so diluted with block water you will have no freeze protection.
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 11-03-2018 at 12:45 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug