Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tow vehicle

Default Tow vehicle

Anybody have experience towing with a 5.7 Durango or jeep grand Cherokee? We picked up a 13 Durango this week, just wondering how it will tow our craz. We don't tow much, an hour each way, maybe a couple times per year. For the most part the boat stays at the cottage.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

What is the tow rating and how much are you towing?

i think you should be fine depending on how much boat you are towing, i think the craze is listed at 4200lbs.. so with trailer, batteries and gas i would be you are around 6k total. . I had a grand cherokee a while back and it towed really well if i kept it under 5k. Durango is the same but i think the tow rating is higher than 5k.
    2019 Mondo

Tow rating is 7400. I'm just over 6k with the trailer I believe.

2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Just double check the hitch weight rating on your factory hitch as well as your draw bar and hitch ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Good point. I know my draw bar and ball are rated for 10k. I will have to check the factory hitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Just double check the hitch weight rating on your factory hitch as well as your draw bar and hitch ball.

2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Also keep in mind.. not sure how dodge does this, but tow ratings can include what you pack in the car.. total weight. I think you should be fine as long as you check the hitch, draw bar and ball to make sure it all matches the 7300lb tow rating. A very good rule of thumb however is to get a vehicle that has a tow rating 30-40% higher than what you tow. Meaning if i am towing 5k lbs, i want a tow rating of 7000 lbs (rounding).. I tow 6200lbs and my truck is rated for 8300.
    2019 Mondo

A friend towed his axis t22 with a Durango for a few years and he said it was fine, but when he got a yukon he said there was a big difference between the two for towing. I know this is all obvious, but long story short you'll be fine, but it will push you around a bit more than you would like.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2016 Mojo surf edition
    1100lbs rear w/ 475lbs piggyback mid/ center 700lbs/ 500lbs IBS/ 600 lbs lead
    ACME 2315

I towed my 08 LSV (book says boat and trailer is 4150 lbs) with a 08 Jeep GC with the 5.7 hemi. Plenty of power. But the lighter weight and shorter wheel base meant the boat could really push the jeep around. Definately doable but probably not the safest setup. Now that I have a 1/2 ton pickup, it is night and day!

2008 LSV. 1100 rear sacs and IBS. ACME prop is next
    Ronix One w/ Parks bindings

I hooked the Mojo up to our 13 Grand Cherokee with 5.7 hemi and auto level.

Much like the above comments, it was plenty of power but being lighter weight and shorter wheelbase was a noticeable difference from pulling with a full size SUV or truck.

I should be fine for a couple times a year.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Using ford raptor for boat towing, ford trucks are great we are also using for emergency roadside assistance service ny.