Exclamation 1998 moomba won't start, just clicks

1998 moomba won't start. Battery shows 12 volts. When key is turned it just clicks. I need help trouble shooting starter and solenoid. I have put 2 starters in this boat in 14 years. So yes I know about the sealed starter and the adverse reaction to info given, which caused a shut down of my thread years ago as skigirl1212. Please help me troubleshoot my issue. I don't belive this is a loose connection, but I am checking it's next. Thanks in advance for the input. Fyi. 350 chevy, indmar, holly 4 Barrel carb.

Quote Originally Posted by Skigirl View Post
    1998 moomba won't start. Battery shows 12 volts. When key is turned it just clicks. I need help trouble shooting starter and solenoid. I have put 2 starters in this boat in 14 years. So yes I know about the sealed starter and the adverse reaction to info given, which caused a shut down of my thread years ago as skigirl1212. Please help me troubleshoot my issue. I don't belive this is a loose connection, but I am checking it's next. Thanks in advance for the input. Fyi. 350 chevy, indmar, holly 4 Barrel carb.
    What is actual battery voltage? 12 volts is borderline dead on a lead acid. Voltage at rest should be 12.6-13.2V if fully charged.
    Verify battery voltage is present at starter when key in start position. If it is, voltage drop test the ground cable. If voltage present and cable test good, starter is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found some info from a 2010 post about starter and solenoid issue, back to troubleshooting.

Ty, I'll check this.

Update- basically it was a bad battery. I had 12.4 volts at the battery, and also at the starter. Tried to jump the solenoid and it would not start. The boat would start with an additional jump start. The battery checked bad at the auto parts store, so they gave me a new battery. This original battery was 5 months old.

Default Additionaly

Quote Originally Posted by Skigirl View Post
    Update- basically it was a bad battery. I had 12.4 volts at the battery, and also at the starter. Tried to jump the solenoid and it would not start. The boat would start with an additional jump start. The battery checked bad at the auto parts store, so they gave me a new battery. This original battery was 5 months old.
    I am not sure what type of tester or how they test the bad battery, but the guy said the battery had no amp output. Not knowing a great deal about batteries, I can assume the test put some sort of load on the battery. I am also still wondering if my starter is drawing correct amperage. If anyone cares to share more info I am up for batteries/starter 101

You may be having something draining your battery. A quick fix is to use a battery tender or a disconnect on the negative post. Amperage check is recommended.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD