Default Ballast impeller replacement

Hi, any recommendations on how often to replace the ballast impeller? They're all filling and draining properly. I've read annually and/or 100 hours, but what if you don't use the ballast often? Should I just wait until there is some kind of symptom? I was quoted an extra $475 for that with my usual winterizing, seems high.
    Thanks

I got 250+ hours never a problem you can take them out and see how they look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 outbackv

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    I got 250+ hours never a problem you can take them out and see how they look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I'll let them be for now, they're working perfectly, I'm not sure what $500 would get me.

Quote Originally Posted by drlynes View Post
    Thanks, I'll let them be for now, they're working perfectly, I'm not sure what $500 would get me.
    New impellers... and lots of labor. Just pull the covers and do it yourself, they will either be dried out/damaged, or in good shape/usable. Heres a video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im4Xz7yvzd0

leave them alone if they are working. I suck p antifreeze from theban fill hose thru the pumps to winterize and mine are 9 years old and still running.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

I've read annually and/or 100 hours,
    Engine raw water pump impeller maybe, but not ballast pump impellers. These synthetic impellers last a long time, unless one is left on drain cycle and runs dry. Even then, they are resilient.

IMO, keep a spare and the tools needed, and change on the water as needed, if one fails. Other wise, I doubt they need serviced sooner then 4-5 years, depending on use. In that case, id gauge on number of outing, rather then boat engine hours. Figure 15-20 minutes run time per pump, per trip out.

No standard rule of 100 hrs. If they are sticking or you are getting slow fill times, time to replace. I'm on year three or four.

I take mine out every year during the winter. Easy access.

I did aftermarket Johnson pumps in my 07. They came with a black impeller. Year two they started to stick and blow fuses. Replaced with the orange ones. Softer. No more issues.

Jabsco uses he green replacements.

$4-500 sounds like a lot of labor. Not sure what they need to take remove to get access. Probably $100 in parts. Dealer might get them cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-Impell.../dp/B076GX3WCN

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Engine raw water pump impeller maybe, but not ballast pump impellers. These synthetic impellers last a long time, unless one is left on drain cycle and runs dry. Even then, they are resilient.
    ^^^^ This ^^^^

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400