Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    I guess I should have clarified not to demo the surf wave. Definitely drive both.
    This is just hypothetical but if I was a dealer I would ask what the demo is for: ski, wake, surf, foil? Why would you not set the boat up for the activities the interested party is wanting to try? I think the dealers should learn to set boats up correctly. Or get a guy like dtfr to take d mo boats.

To the OP, go drive both and get the one you like better. Make sure to look for things like rough water ride, bow rise while at different speeds, and comfort and ease of use for coolers, radio and other accessory. And ballast fill times. Good luck!

mondo will not produce a great wave out of the box so I can understand shoeboxs' point. the mondo I was on had upgraded bags in the back and having ridden it before and after it was night and day. I am guessing that most dealers either don't know enough to demo them that way or won't due to it being over the capacity plate in most cases.

and did I mention that the surf wave was night and day with the upgraded bags
    Last edited by sandm; 09-25-2018 at 11:10 PM.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I would be buying the mondo with 750's in the rear and the upgraded bow package. Comes in somewhere around 2600lbs of ballast.
    2019 Mondo

Quote Originally Posted by jason1973 View Post
    I would be buying the mondo with 750's in the rear and the upgraded bow package. Comes in somewhere around 2600lbs of ballast.
    You want at least 900s in the rear, 750 in the bow.
    2019 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    You want at least 900s in the rear, 750 in the bow.
    this........

will that be needed to surf? or will not be needed to create a PRO wake. I am a weekend surfer, not competing or anything like that. Just want to be able to drop the rope for a change which i can't do on my X2 of old.

i don't need to pro wake. We are just recreational.
    2019 Mondo

Starting out, no it won't be needed. But you'll be wishing you had more really quickly.
    2019 Supra SL450

900's made the difference between a surf wave that you had a hard time letting go of the rope and a surf wave that you could ride/carve/enjoy.

almost every boat out there needs more weight out of the box to have a decent wave. I rode a craz the first year they were released to help a guy set it up on the fox. the wave on that boat out of the box was not good. upgraded bags and he had a good start with some work ahead playing with the tabs.

would it be fair to say Moomba (mondo) needs far more weight to get a surf wave over the competition?
    2019 Mondo

From my experience, that is not true...just about every boat out there needs more than the stock ballast gets you. There is a reason why all the new boats are coming with additional weight...see the following:

1) Makai - 4000lbs stock

2) Supra SL - 3500lbs stock

3) Supra SR - 3300lbs stock

4) Centurion RI217 - Options to put 4950lbs from factory

5) Centurion RI237 - Options to put 5100lbs from factory

I know that these are not apples to apples comparison due to size of boats...but it shows that displacement is the #1 priority for a good quality wave. 2300 lbs creates a surfable wave out of the box(I am 175 lbs and had no problems going ropeless stock...if you put the wakemakers 1100lbs bags in-place of the 650lbs stock bags...it just makes a BIG difference in the wave quality(length, height, push). I haven't been behind a ton of sub 21 foot boats...but I think both the Helix and Mondo will compete with any smaller boats from a wave quality perspective.
    2022 SA450
    2019 Mojo
    2017 Mondo - SOLD