Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Congrats! They are sick.

How much ballast are you running? I was underwhelmed with the surf wave at full stock ballast and 925lbs of people/lead. We messed around a lot with speed and tab settings but couldn’t get much push beyond 10.7mph, plate all the way up, and the surf tab at 40%. I am hoping someone knows how much weight is needed to get a “great” wave. Don’t get me wrong, the wave was surf-able, but I need to go faster and have more push to get decent airs. The makai is huge and I suspect it will need a lot of weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Mojo

Most I have had is full factory and 2100# lead with 4 adults. That was very very good. I am awaiting the wakemakers 1500-1600 upgrade sacks. They will be perfect. I think then I can leave 1000# in the boat all the time.

The 460 doesn’t care at all about the weight. Ridiculous motor with reduction. 16x16.25 prop on it now.

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    Most I have had is full factory and 2100# lead with 4 adults. That was very very good. I am awaiting the wakemakers 1500-1600 upgrade sacks. They will be perfect. I think then I can leave 1000# in the boat all the time.

The 460 doesn’t care at all about the weight. Ridiculous motor with reduction. 16x16.25 prop on it now.

This gets me excited! Thanks for the info.

2016 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post

I have demo'd the Makai with 400 and 450 Raptors. i didn't see much of a performance difference.... the 400 actually seemed to perform better running lower RPMs. My question is how will it run with 6k ballast?? I can't justify spending 7k for the motor upgrade, but it's insane to me that i need 6k+ to get a good surf wave out of that boat. LOT'S of modifying to get it to function the way you want..... Did you move all the lead to the rear? what RPMs are you running with that much weight? The upgraded bags from wakemakers will require the removal of the rear locker trays. what will you do for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjaeger13 View Post
    I have demo'd the Makai with 400 and 450 Raptors. i didn't see much of a performance difference.... the 400 actually seemed to perform better running lower RPMs. My question is how will it run with 6k ballast?? I can't justify spending 7k for the motor upgrade, but it's insane to me that i need 6k+ to get a good surf wave out of that boat. LOT'S of modifying to get it to function the way you want..... Did you move all the lead to the rear? what RPMs are you running with that much weight? The upgraded bags from wakemakers will require the removal of the rear locker trays. what will you do for this?
    They probably had different props on them....for starters. Of course you could make them behave like that. Don’t forget the 400 has 1.5:1 trans too. It’s not a one variable situation.

Lots of modifying? It needs more weight. Can you surf it stock? Sure. Have at it. But I want it to be massive. I am coming from a slammed 2016 SE. Also added weight to that one. Lots of weight.

I don’t give a rip of the rear lockers are gone personally. In every boat they’re gone if you’re slamming it. The Makai still has silly storage with its hidden side bags and underfloor belly bag. I also had thought of shortening my stock locker tubs after the new sacks go in, to make more of a tray configuration. For ropes or whatnot. I kept nothing but lead in the stock tubs anyway. I will just see.

Most of the lead will rest rearish-midship with the WM bags.

460 ran 3700 or so RPM with 2100# of lead and 3 adults w/ a 16-16.25 prop. The 400 would not even sniff getting that to surf speed. The 460 with the 1.76 pulls an incredible amount harder than the 400/1.5 would. I had a 2016SE with a 440/1.5 for comparison. That motor had a definite and frustrating limit at times with a big crew. Small crew it was fine—maxed but fine at 1300’.

Physics are physics. There are NO magic shortcuts. In a Makai you have an SE-sized floating hull that weighs 1000# less than an SE. it’s a light, huge, relatively hollow boat. If you’re going to sink that to awesome surf depths, it’s gonna take weight. Weight weight weight.

It’s easier to get a great surf wave out of a shorter boat. They’re easier to sink. See the Max as an example. BUT, if you go to measures to sink a bigger boat similarly deep, the end result will be better (longer wave). But it can only be achieved with weight. Makai is light for its size. That has to be made up for.

If should also be stated that you could throw a 1000# lead into a stock Makai with a 400 and have a riot. The wave will be very good. It won’t be incredible, but will be very good. If that’s ok for you, then you’re in business.

But if you’re looking for top 3% stuff, the 460 is necessary equipment to go with the weight.

You will have a damn near 2019 SE surf experience on 2/3 the spend. And nothing at the 100k price point will touch it.

What’s the upgrade price on the 460?

All the boats I see online are the smaller motor.

2018 Supra SL400

6-7k I think? Unsure exactly. It also has the 1.72:1 trans and that’s really the key ingredient.

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    What’s the upgrade price on the 460?

All the boats I see online are the smaller motor.

Moomba $7150
    Supra $8400

The Supra tax is strong......lol

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

So I am in the process of ordering my Makai (have to lock everything in before the end of the year for the Febuary build date) and I have had this very concern about the 400 vs the 450. I brought this point up with my dealer and they suggested that we hit the water again with the boat and load it up. Their boat has the 400 with the wake prop upgrade (OJ 945 15x13). We ran the boat with 6545# of total ballast/displacement, I was wanting to go to 7500# to see how it would handle it but we didn't have access to any additional ballast in the time frame we had to get it done in and apparently I need more friends LOL.

Our ballast/displacement was as follows: 4,000# standard ballast, 1100# lead, and 7 people @ 1445# = Total 6545#

Also to be noted we are in Houston, Texas so elevation is a non factor

To test the motor we ran the boat with Autowake OFF so that we would retain all of the ballast and not dump any. We ran the boat from 10.5 MPH to 12.5 MPH to see if there was any change in RPMs and @ 10.5 MPH the RPMs were 3400 steady!!! @ 12.5 MPH the RPM gauge flickered to 3500 twice but ran 3400 98% of the time so I called it 3450 RPMs (since the display does not show 50s).

If I am being honest I was pleasantly surprised at how the 400 performed with the weight. I would have loved to have seen how much the RPMs changed and how the 400 would have handled another 1K but I was happy to be able to get out and see how it did with that weight.

Now all of this being said if we were to keep throwing ballast in the boat there will definitely come a point where the 400 will not be able to over come the load and the 450 should be able to. The question is what is that limit and is it even worth considering? Unfortunately I wasn't able to find that limit on my trip but it is definitely not 6,545#.

So for the time being I have my boat spec'd with the 400 and feel good about it but I would be lying if I said I still don't have a little voice inside me saying "spring for the 450!!" LOL. I have asked my dealer what the cost is to upgrade and they said $6,321. While that is less than 10% of the overall cost for a Makai that money could go a long way in boards and mods!
    Last edited by TXSurf4; 12-18-2018 at 04:15 PM.