Default Alternator Upgrade - 16 Craz w. Raptor 400

Hello All,

Is anyone on here running an upgraded alternator on a '16 Raptor 400? I'm curious as to why people upgrade them and what amp output they ended up going with. I'm also interested if anyone knows the stock alternator output on this age of Raptor 400.

Thanks in advance

Is this a reported problem? Haven't heard anything about an issue here....
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

I’m pretty sure they are a 95A alternator on the Raptor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I didn’t respond to them sooner but they didn’t pop up on my feed!

Hadn’t heard of an issue, just seen a few people ask about upgrading due to stereo builds etc. also have seen some upgrade units and packages on various websites so was curious if anyone had swapped theirs out and why.

I need to know what I have from the factory in order to select suitable wire gauge and fuses for hooking up my ACR. Based on 95A Blue Sea recommends 2 AWG wire and 150A fuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Craz

Bigger stereo builds are typically dedicating battery power to the stereo specifically instead. Then using shore power to maintain the batteries.

For example, I have 2 6v golf cart batteries for "bank 2" while the starting battery is on "bank 1". When we put the boat up, we plug into shore power through the use of an onboard charging system.

Alternator upgrades seem to be almost nonexistent.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

4ga (still overkill) and skip the fusing.

Are you just adding an ACR or are you swapping to the Dual Circuit Plus switch and ACR setup? Recommended over adding an ACR to the 1/2/BOTH switch.

95+ amps have been used on various motors for 15 or so years. Have never upgraded one. You get more mileage from a cheap pair of.....oh, um, I mean you get more play time from a larger house bank and then rely more upon shore charging.

I’m changing from the standard perko 1/2 switch to the add a battery kit with ACR.

I saw others had suggested 4AWG, but on older boats that I assumed had 50A alternators. Blue Sea instructions contain a table for suggested wire sizes per alternator output. That’s where I got 2AWG from.

2016 Moomba Craz

This is my updated wiring diagram based on earlier recommendations.
    IMG_1309.JPG

2016 Moomba Craz

I cant blow that diag up, but something looks a little off, just cant put a finger on it.

So what was the consensus? 95A output on the stock factory alternator? moparsigfan, did you go with the 120A kit from Blue Sea?