Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Indmar Raptor 400 Engine Whine 1000rpm

I have a 2018 Craz and from day one it has had this high pitch whine at 1000rpm and seems to only happen moving forward. Video Below: Starts right around 9 seconds in you will hear the sound come as the boat gets to 1000rpm. Haven't noticed it in reverse. Boat now has 17 hours on it and it hasn't gone away. Dealer initially said just keep an eye on it but now I have it back with them for the 20 hour service and I've asked them to help resolve the whining noise. It is pretty high pitch and really irritating. It's right at the almost ideal no wake speed! Almost sounds like a harmonic resonance type sound.

Has anyone else had this on their boat? Any ideas of what to go after? I was thinking maybe shaft alignment but I'm not sure. Salesman said he heard it during another demo on a Craz Pro they sold recently too but the service department said they hadn't heard of this before. I'm in no way doubting their skills and they hopefully will figure it out! But I thought I'd ask here too and see if anyone else had this happen so we can pinpoint it faster.

I probably should have taken the video with the engine compartment closed to muffle some of the normal engine noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUBF49wBf2o
    2018 Moomba Craz with Autowake
    Stock Ballast - 3,000lbs 6 pumps
    ACME 2775 prop

My new 450 (460) whines a little bit like that. But it doesn’t strike me as something wrong. Must not be as severe as yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's pretty obnoxious. I don't expect the boat to be quiet like a luxury sedan... but this doesn't seem normal. It gets pretty loud. The video almost doesn't do it justice.
    2018 Moomba Craz with Autowake
    Stock Ballast - 3,000lbs 6 pumps
    ACME 2775 prop

That does seem loud.

I got the 400 in an 18SA and last night the wife asked how fast it would go, even at 5300rpm, 38-39mph, it was pretty darn quiet.

My point is, the Raptors are very quiet

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Mine does NOT sound like that...

Check alignment.
    2018 Moomba Craz | Autowake 2.0, Zero-Off, G6 Pumps | Captain Blue/Dark Graphite/Silver Flake | Enzos + Lead

I re-listened. When you throttle back up it’s plain to hear. That seems loud.

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    That does seem loud.

I got the 400 in an 18SA and last night the wife asked how fast it would go, even at 5300rpm, 38-39mph, it was pretty darn quiet.

My point is, the Raptors are very quiet

My experiences in the realm of VDrive inboard motors, Raptors are actually not very quiet. The GM based motors seem to be quite a bit quieter. At least to my ears.

Have not heard a GM V drive boat to compare.

But very familiar with LS engines and other than loud valve trains they are otherwise quiet.

It’s very possible that in a Supra (more sound deadening ??) along with a surf pipe adds to the quietness of the Raptor?

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

They (Raptors) aren’t loud, but GMs are quieter. In boats. Typically.

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Have not heard a GM V drive boat to compare.

But very familiar with LS engines and other than loud valve trains they are otherwise quiet.

It’s very possible that in a Supra (more sound deadening ??) along with a surf pipe adds to the quietness of the Raptor?

There’s really not much in the way of “sound deadening” that I am aware of. Just fiberglass panels and upholstered stuff. I have dynamatted my boats lately—a 2016 SE and now Makai. Makes a nice difference.

Point here is—the OP seems to have a. Unusual noise worth checking into.