Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Get a Makai with paddlewheel, you will have plenty of storage.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

This is an interesting question.. i surf behind a malibu once in a while that has GPS, and even in the middle of the lake it can lose signal and dump the rider. I am all for keeping it simple.
    2019 Mondo

Quote Originally Posted by Broke Pilot View Post
    I had paddle wheel on the 06 24SSV, and I hated it. Lol it was a stupid system.
    The mechanical connection to the throttle body with the PP motor controlling it and having to rewind itself every time you stopped... I don’t miss it. And like I said, it doesn’t provide the finer control like an integrated gps does.
    Like I said, I’m spoiled, I play with fancy Garmin G5000 electronics all day in my Lear 75, hate some it, love some of it. The SA, same thing, hate some of that fancy screen, but the GPS cruise is the tits.
    I’m out! Lol
    Ha! I replaced more servo motors on that era of perfect pass than I can count! I'm not sure that is comparing apples to apples, though.

I haven't had any issues with the paddlewheel on the Mojo. I think either work for fine 95% of the people out there. Certain circumstances may dictate one is better for that scenario.

For your record keeping Trayson .... I've been behind a Tige that took off on me when it lost GPS signal.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

I had paddle wheel on the 06 24SSV, and I hated it. Lol it was a stupid system.
    The mechanical connection to the throttle body with the PP motor controlling it and having to rewind itself every time you stopped... I don’t miss it. And like I said, it doesn’t provide the finer control like an integrated gps does.
    Like I said, I’m spoiled, I play with fancy Garmin G5000 electronics all day in my Lear 75, hate some it, love some of it. The SA, same thing, hate some of that fancy screen, but the GPS cruise is the tits.
    I’m out! Lol
    Like kg said. You're not comparing apples to apples. Come ride my 2008 that is dbw! No throttle cable here. And I have a paddlewheel.

How can you say that it's the GPS? I'd say it's the dbw!

Quote Originally Posted by cpropes2005 View Post
    On my Mojo I had significant surging when surfing with the stock paddle wheel. I could actually hear the engine rev higher and then the wave would disappear as it overshot the speed. I upgraded to the nautilogic GPS receiver and it has been perfect ever since. I will say that I never had the surging issue on previous boats with perfect pass and paddle wheel so it might just be specific to the stock system/hull/placement on the mojo.
    There's a setting in perfect pass to filter out the surging. You should have tried to adjust your settings before dumping money on the nauti logic.
    (But then they wouldn't sell units!)
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I mentioned earlier that my Perfect Pass has been perfect for us and that I've experienced issues with factory built solutions. Could this be the common theme in several of these posts and the GPS/paddle-wheel part might just be coincidental? I know people had trouble with the Moomba cruise. It sounds like there is some bad experiences with the Centurion, Malibu Nautique and Tige systems as well (but it's not clear if those were PP or not)

It always bugs me that car (and boat) manufacturers get into the mentality of "not invented here". For example, I wish that car makers fully outsourced their stereo/infotainment to those who do it all the time, but they try to make it their own "Ford" system and it's a little more integrated into the car but it's just not as good as if it were a "Pioneer" or whatever. Perhaps speed control is the same? Embedded control systems as an engineering skill set was completely outside the realm of these boat builders just a few years ago. Maybe it would be better to outsource this?

Along these lines, I don't love the new style of touchpad/digital display dash board controller. To me, it just seems like too much integration by a small market manufacturer... "oops, we have a bug in our software, sorry your boat died in the middle of nowhere". I know they have lots of wow factor, but I like having my ballast switch separate from my cruise control.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Trayson drive by wire means electronic throttle. There’s a rheostat in the throttle that tells the ECM how to open the throttle body, there’s no direct link between the 2. Your boat should be a direct cable throttle. Not drive by wire.
    I dunno if my 06 was any different than your 08, not familiar with Moombas of the era, so yea maybe not a fair comparison. My buddies 17 Craz works great. I’m in no way bashing paddlewheel!
    Like I said, I’m just spoiled and so far love the GPS, it gets my vote!
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Trayson drive by wire means electronic throttle. There’s a rheostat in the throttle that tells the ECM how to open the throttle body, there’s no direct link between the 2. Your boat should be a direct cable throttle. Not drive by wire.
    I dunno if my 06 was any different than your 08, not familiar with Moombas of the era, so yea maybe not a fair comparison. My buddies 17 Craz works great. I’m in no way bashing paddlewheel!
    Like I said, I’m just spoiled and so far love the GPS, it gets my vote!
    LMAO. dude. How many times do I have to tell you that my boat is a 2008 with drive by wire. I do not have a physical throttle cable. I have a TPS at the base of my throttle lever sending electronic signals to my ECU via a wire harness. The only cables there is to shift my transmission. My boat was the first year to have CATS. And the first year to have MEFI-5. The first year of the redesign on the XLV hull.

I'm not sure when they went to DBW, but it stands to reason they introduced it in 07 or 08.

I can take a picture for you if you'd like!
    Last edited by trayson; 09-19-2018 at 07:59 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Oh crap, I’m sorry... lol maybe I missed it! I woulda sworn yours would be cable driven, my bad!!!!
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Oh crap, I’m sorry... lol maybe I missed it! I woulda sworn yours would be cable driven, my bad!!!!
    Ha ha, the old Moomba has a few tricks up her sleeve!
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Trayson says “I love my boat, better not say she has a cable broke pilot”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA