Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I think gps just gives a finer speed control than a wheel. If I want to tune my wave it’s done in .1 mph increments. Plus with the fly by wire throttle it’s always spot on. With a PP I think you can only adjust in 1-200rpm increments. That may be too much or not enough to hold your wave. But hey, I’ll admit I’m spoiled now.
    What would we do without technology. Y’all are getting it done, and that’s all that matters!
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Trayson, I guess my question would be, why do you care? You like paddlewheel, use it. I like GPS, so that's what I'm using. If you're on a river, paddlewheel is the only way to go. On a lake, it's whatever you prefer.

And your XM comparison is not valid. You lose the signal due to mountains, trees, buildings. Those are extremely rarely considerations on a boat. Again, if those are considerations where you boat, then use paddlewheel.
    2019 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by Broke Pilot View Post
    I think gps just gives a finer speed control than a wheel. If I want to tune my wave it’s done in .1 mph increments. Plus with the fly by wire throttle it’s always spot on. With a PP I think you can only adjust in 1-200rpm increments. That may be too much or not enough to hold your wave. But hey, I’ll admit I’m spoiled now.
    What would we do without technology. Y’all are getting it done, and that’s all that matters!
    So I guess I've got a foot in each. Paddlewheel, but drive by wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    Trayson, I guess my question would be, why do you care? You like paddlewheel, use it. I like GPS, so that's what I'm using. If you're on a river, paddlewheel is the only way to go. On a lake, it's whatever you prefer.

And your XM comparison is not valid. You lose the signal due to mountains, trees, buildings. Those are extremely rarely considerations on a boat. Again, if those are considerations where you boat, then use paddlewheel.
    It got me thinking because in another post on Social Media I complained that the GPS speed control on the Centurion I rode on was garbage. I got called out saying that GPS is better, blah blah blah.

But I genuinely struggled coming up with reasons how and why it was supposedly better. I'd honestly never considered the considerations with the wakeboard pull and doubles. So that was enlightening.

As far as my sat radio comparo, I don't know if the trees that line the river would block a signal like the trees that line the roadway. I don't know if the 300 foot sheer canyon walls of my favorite lake would block the signal. I'd think yes, because it certainly makes the sun disappear way earlier than the official sunset and kills cell service.

My buddy with the new centurion hates his GPS speed control on his new FI21. And he literally has no option to fix it. even with a $300 retrofit to paddlewheel, it won't integrate into his systems controls. And his doesn't have a river mode like some moombas and supras do. I would be really unhappy if I "upgraded" to a 6 figure boat and was stuck with the hassles of GPS that he has to deal with. And he's not an idiot--he works as an airline pilot, but was frustrated having to measure river current, do math, reprogram if we changed direction, and have hole shots killed by the speed control. It really put a damper on our fun. And that's crazy with a surf specific brand new boat that's supposed to have all the tech you could dream of.

I adore my XLV and it's paddlewheel PP. But my boat isn't going to last forever, especially at the rate that I'm putting hours on it. So I do think about "what's next". And it's already disheartening that I'm going to lose a ton of storage space because modern boats don't have my playpen bow with the locker under it that holds 3 to 4 boards. I want my next boat to be a gain, lot mixed bag of gains and losses. So I guess that's why it matters. Plus I'm hyper-analytical and love to figure out how and why.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    So I guess I've got a foot in each. Paddlewheel, but drive by wire.

It got me thinking because in another post on Social Media I complained that the GPS speed control on the Centurion I rode on was garbage. I got called out saying that GPS is better, blah blah blah.

But I genuinely struggled coming up with reasons how and why it was supposedly better. I'd honestly never considered the considerations with the wakeboard pull and doubles. So that was enlightening.

As far as my sat radio comparo, I don't know if the trees that line the river would block a signal like the trees that line the roadway. I don't know if the 300 foot sheer canyon walls of my favorite lake would block the signal. I'd think yes, because it certainly makes the sun disappear way earlier than the official sunset and kills cell service.

My buddy with the new centurion hates his GPS speed control on his new FI21. And he literally has no option to fix it. even with a $300 retrofit to paddlewheel, it won't integrate into his systems controls. And his doesn't have a river mode like some moombas and supras do. I would be really unhappy if I "upgraded" to a 6 figure boat and was stuck with the hassles of GPS that he has to deal with. And he's not an idiot--he works as an airline pilot, but was frustrated having to measure river current, do math, reprogram if we changed direction, and have hole shots killed by the speed control. It really put a damper on our fun. And that's crazy with a surf specific brand new boat that's supposed to have all the tech you could dream of.

I adore my XLV and it's paddlewheel PP. But my boat isn't going to last forever, especially at the rate that I'm putting hours on it. So I do think about "what's next". And it's already disheartening that I'm going to lose a ton of storage space because modern boats don't have my playpen bow with the locker under it that holds 3 to 4 boards. I want my next boat to be a gain, lot mixed bag of gains and losses. So I guess that's why it matters. Plus I'm hyper-analytical and love to figure out how and why.
    I think some poeple are confusing older perfect pass systems with newer GPS control systems. They're trying to compare a 1990s perfect pass paddle wheel system to a modern GPS system. There's literally no difference between GPS and paddle on modern boats. Except if your on a river, then it's a big difference.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    I think some poeple are confusing older perfect pass systems with newer GPS control systems. They're trying to compare a 1990s perfect pass paddle wheel system to a modern GPS system. There's literally no difference between GPS and paddle on modern boats. Except if your on a river, then it's a big difference.
    That's kind of what I'm thinking. I keep hearing BrokePilot talk about how great his GPS is because it's Drive by wire. But it sounds like he's never experienced paddlewheel with DBW, which is what I have and works great. So the benefits of DBW have nothing to do with PW vs GPS... I had the PP that had a motor wheel that was piggybacked to the throttle cable. Vast difference between that and what I have now where it's literally plugged into my engine harness and fully computerized.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

And that they didn't know how to adjust the perfect pass settings to help with the lag from extra weight or hard cuts. So they installed the new GPS version which had newer updated software and electronics but they attrib the improvements to being the switch from the paddle wheel to the GPS. I think what they really like is the improvements to the whole system because it worked better but believe it to be the switch to the GPS.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I keep hearing BrokePilot talk about how great his GPS is because it's Drive by wire. But it sounds like he's never experienced paddlewheel with DBW, which is what I have and works great. So the benefits of DBW have nothing to do with PW vs GPS... I had the PP that had a motor wheel that was piggybacked to the throttle cable. Vast difference between that and what I have now where it's literally plugged into my engine harness and fully computerized.
    Theyre also getting confused about drive by wire, it's just removing the mechanical connection to the throttle butterfly, older perfect pass motor setups essentially made older boats drive by wire. The perfect pass motor directly controled the thottle butterfly, just not integrated like modern drive by wire systems today. Just the older systems had lots of slop and play so it sucked.. Lol
    Last edited by parrothd; 09-18-2018 at 07:50 PM.

I had paddle wheel on the 06 24SSV, and I hated it. Lol it was a stupid system.
    The mechanical connection to the throttle body with the PP motor controlling it and having to rewind itself every time you stopped... I don’t miss it. And like I said, it doesn’t provide the finer control like an integrated gps does.
    Like I said, I’m spoiled, I play with fancy Garmin G5000 electronics all day in my Lear 75, hate some it, love some of it. The SA, same thing, hate some of that fancy screen, but the GPS cruise is the tits.
    I’m out! Lol
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

On my Mojo I had significant surging when surfing with the stock paddle wheel. I could actually hear the engine rev higher and then the wave would disappear as it overshot the speed. I upgraded to the nautilogic GPS receiver and it has been perfect ever since. I will say that I never had the surging issue on previous boats with perfect pass and paddle wheel so it might just be specific to the stock system/hull/placement on the mojo.
    2015 Mojo with autoflow

That would only be true if the trees and cliffs were on the south side of the river or lake, you hugged closely to the shore - and if GPS relied on the XM satellite. As it is, GPS relies on a system of 24 satellites, of which only 3 are necessary to fix position, and the chances of all but 2 being blocked are almost nonexistent.

That sucks about your friend's boat, and sounds like he may have a malfunction or they wouldn't be selling many boats.
    2019 Supra SL450