Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

That's a good question Joe. I can tell you that 4 of the 5 guys I ski with like the wake best at about 75% deflection and one guy likes it at about 30%. It definitely flattens and softens the wake at ski speeds and I can definitely tell the difference when it's not set right.

With that said, the 4 guys who like it at 75% all ski the course at 15 off and are skiing the 30 or 32mph pass. The guy who likes 30% is skiing into 32off at 36mph. So, it may be that the faster you ski, the less deflection you need (or it's just personal preference--if I ever get that good I'll let you know ).

Thanks Carsondoc.
    I am very interested in the wakeplate at slower speeds since we have a daughter that is nine and running the course but the wake eats her up at such a slow speed.

Hey guys I have the wakeplate on my outback, and if you have a bunch of people in the boat and you are skiing it really makes a difference because it pushes the back end up and compensates for the extra weight.

If I go out for a wakeboard set after someone has been skiing and forget to adjust the wakeplate up I can totally tell by the size and shape of the wake..

cheers

The wakeplate on my Outback almost caused me not to buy my boat...
    We test-skied the bought that I bought. I skied behind it 15' off/30 MPH and and found a very noticeable bump similiar to what I have on my '83 MC. My son skied it next 15' off/30 MPH (he weighs 55lbs soaking wet) and when he hit the first wake he jumped almost to the buoy line. He was freaked out and I was disappointed. Then the dealer says "Oh-the wakeplate is partially down" (a little less than 1/4 of the way.) He put the plate back up and we reskied the boat. The wake was awesome, my kids gave me the thumbs up, and I bought the boat.
    Sean
    06 Moomba Outback
    and lovin' every minute of it...

Thanks for all the wake info.I'm now wanting to ask about the durability of the boats.Has anyone had any interior issues or anything that I should be on the lookout for if we find a used outback.I know that I have seen many a MC or Nautique with torn or separated seat seems....

That just seems to go with the territory. I have seen the most expensive boats out there with torn and ripped seams. I know that in 06 SC changed the stitching material to be more resiliant than the former cotton based and that seems to have improved that issue for moomba owners. (at least I havent heard anything here from peeps with this issue)

Regardless of what type of boat you have be extra strict.. Never left people stand on the seats or where the seams join together. Put stress on them its just asking for it.

Cheers
    Jay

Thanks to everyone that has responded to my questions.All info has been greatly appreciated.We have a 2001 four winns 180 le that has been a great boat. But With our girls doing the INT league we need a comp boat but are also on a budget.I am very pleased with the attitudes of the owners that have responded here.I have seen on other boards that some of the higher end owners are more worried about name brands than the memories that boating with the family bring.Thanks again and keep the info coming.I am making an options list as we go.

Wakeplate:

I ski 34-36mph at 28-35 off. If the outback did not have a wakeplate I would NOT ski behind it, it is dangerous. (My wife forgot to lower it once). The Outback has a good ski hull, but the wakeplate gives it a great ski hull. I ski behind a nautique when I get lessons at the local ski club, and have to admit the wake is more supple than my Outback, but I ski with a guy who has a Malibu Response, and I can't find anything better about his wake, (he agrees by the way). I haven't skied behind a MC for quite some time, so I can't personally comment, but I have pulled MC owners, and they (reluctantly) admitted they liked the wake.

My wife is 120lbs soaking wet, skis around 28mphand15off. The wake is a little bumpy for her, but it is giving her motivation to shorten the line and speed up.

If there wasn't 2 feet of snow on the ground I'd take my boat on the water and show you pictures of the wake at 34 mph with the wakeplate up & down.... HUGE difference! Especially at the shorter line lengths. Which is what we all aspire to ski at next season right!!?

p.s. If you have to turn the heat off in your house for a month to afford pp, do it! I have every option possible in my boat except for tandem axle trailer, and tower speakers. The only one I couldn't live without is pp. My wife and I are still married thanks to that ingenious piece of technology. MUCH cheaper than a divorce lawyer!!

My 2cents.

I have 2 Malibu Sportsters LXs, 01' and 05', and one Moomba Outback 02'. I don't know if there is a hull difference between the 02 Outback and the newer ones, but at 15 off the wake is nice doing the slalom course. At 22' off, my Outback has a hard bump where as the 2 Malibus do not. According to previous comments, it sounds like getting a wakeplate would be worth the money if you can get rid of the bump at 22' off and shorter.