Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    Not sure where you came up with 210W? Is he running 4 REV 10’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sssprf4471 View Post
    Add 2 Rev 10's for a total of 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    In addition, I’d recommend he swap 2 of the REV 10’s out for a pair of icons. It’ll sound a hell of a lot better while surfing.

This certainly isn't the consensus on the forum to date.

Would the revs not completely drown the icons?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KG's Supra24; 09-18-2018 at 03:09 PM.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

If you surf the majority of the time; definitely go 2 Icons and 2 Rev10’s.

I sold my 4 REV10’s this Spring and replaced them with 4 Exile SXT9Q Surf speakers. Much happier with the sound quality. As they are not loud speakers, they’re not as loud at wake boarding distance or across the lake, but they sound 100% better while in and behind the boat surfing. Going 2x2 gives you the best of both worlds.

Just my opinion.

2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

I would echo KG's concerns. Going with a mis-match of HLCD's and surf speakers is something that the audio gurus on the forums have addressed before. Similar to going with something like a combo of rev8 and rev10. The bigger, louder speaker drowns out the other. You end up having the biggest HLCD walk all over whatever you're trying to pair it with.

In the case of Jeepers, going from all HLCD's to all Surf speakers is great, as it's maintaining a balance. But the mix and match approach tends not to be recommended from my understanding.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Agreed but does ohm load come into play?

500w at 1ohm is same as 500w at 4ohm? It's certainly possible that 500w is 500w but i thought it was a touch more complicated than that.

Put another way .... Are you saying that throughout a day on the lake i can get 500w consistently and as reliably at 1ohm in a 5 channel as i can running at 4ohms in a stand alone?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    Yes, ohms, or the woofer's impedance plays into it. Thats why I suggested the OP go with the dual 2 ohm over the dual 4 ohm he first listed. This gets him from 3ooW rms @ 2 ohm to 500W rms @ 1 ohm.

Keep in mind though, we are talking about an amp that designed as a 1 ohm stable amp. We not talking about strapping just any amp with any random woofer load. Rockford built the amp to be 1 ohm stable, so why not take the same woofer, just in a different coil configuration, and gain 200W rms.

As long as the amp is driving a safe impedance, then 500W is 500W. Put another way, 500W from a 1 ohm stable amp to a 1 ohm woofer is the same 500W to a 4 ohm woofer from an amp thats rated to deliver 500W @ 4 ohm. Now, thats the simple answer. We can dig deeper and say that a mono amp running at 4 ohm is running at a lesser load then a mono running at 1 ohm. Bust as noted earlier, we already have 25% rms headroom in there at 1 ohm.

Not sure where you came up with 210W? Is he running 4 REV 10’s? The XM30.2 delivers 300W rms x 2 @ 4ohms which is conservative.
    Yes, he's running 2 pair. Boat currently has one pair, he's adding a 2nd. So each chnl will "see" a 2 ohm load. The amp's specs are 420 x 2 @ 2 ohm, so each speaker nets 210W rms.

I’d recommend he swap 2 of the REV 10’s out for a pair of icons.
    Mixing HLCD and coaxials is smoke and mirros used by some, to tone down their harsh 8" HLCD. With a 10" HLCD and proper tuning, coaxials are not needed. Besides, its takes 2 additional amp chnls, additional speaker wire through the tower, etc. Then we get into the fact that an HLCD and coaxial do not play the same frequencies at the same amplitude, not to mention a 10" HLCD is just going to DOMINATE an 8" coaxial.

1 set of Rev 10s is more than enough for just about every application other than winning the who is loudest contest at a tie up. Revs sound great for wakeboarding or turn them down for surfing and enjoy the bass from the killer sub on the boat. My last boat had 2 XM9s, not a Rev10, but could not imagine 4 of them pounding me in the face while surfing. At any rate, these guys know their stuff, listen to them, have your system tuned and enjoy the jams.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I would echo KG's concerns. Going with a mis-match of HLCD's and surf speakers is something that the audio gurus on the forums have addressed before. Similar to going with something like a combo of rev8 and rev10. The bigger, louder speaker drowns out the other. You end up having the biggest HLCD walk all over whatever you're trying to pair it with.

In the case of Jeepers, going from all HLCD's to all Surf speakers is great, as it's maintaining a balance. But the mix and match approach tends not to be recommended from my understanding.
    You have the ability to turn down/off the Loud speakers for surfing and turn up / on for wakeboarding or dj-ing boat party. Nothing gets drowned out. The right tool for the job at your fingertips.

2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Yes, ohms, or the woofer's impedance plays into it. Thats why I suggested the OP go with the dual 2 ohm over the dual 4 ohm he first listed. This gets him from 3ooW rms @ 2 ohm to 500W rms @ 1 ohm.
    If I didn't say it earlier, this was a very nice catch. Simple change for big improvement.

^^^ That should be the take away ... a benefit of getting free professional forum advice.

We can dig deeper and say that a mono amp running at 4 ohm is running at a lesser load then a mono running at 1 ohm. Bust as noted earlier, we already have 25% rms headroom in there at 1 ohm.
    Clearly what I was after ... and could play into how the system plays throughout the day on the lake.

Ohm matching is key and getting him setup up at 1 ohm was a solid save. Gets out of Tier 1 but with a 400w RMS sub I'm not sure it gets to Tier 2, in the above scenarios.
    Last edited by KG's Supra24; 09-18-2018 at 11:39 PM.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxMojo View Post
    1 set of Rev 10s is more than enough for just about every application
    Properly powered, I agree 100%.

4+ properly powered Revs become overpowering if there isn't similar wattage coming from in-boat.
    Last edited by KG's Supra24; 09-18-2018 at 11:46 PM.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

I appreciate the open feedback from each of you. I will be staying with just the 2 rev 10's I currently have and running them on the p1000x2. Changed the 12" to the 2ohm and will stick with the p1000x5 for that and 6.5's. Will see how I like them for the next year and make changes if I think I need more. Really just looking for a good clean sound in boat, floating and surf/wakeboard. No interest in competing. Can use that $ many other places. Dropping the boat off Monday morning for changes and will update when it is done.
    2018 Craz