Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Question for the Stereoheads

Working with a good local audio shop, but still have some questions for those on here with experience. I currently have 2 Rev 10's and 6 in boat Kicker 6.5". They are underpowered from factory. So this is what changes I want to make and would like feedback.

Keep 6 Kicker 6.5's
    Add 2 Rev 10's for a total of 4.
    Add Fosgate P2D4-12 Sub in ported and Rhino lined custom box.
    Add Fosgate Punch 1000x2 for 4 Rev 10's
    Add Fosgate Punch 1000x5 for 6.5's and Sub
    Add Fosgate Sub Knob Control

I am not asking for pricing feedback. I really want feedback if amps listed are adequate for speakers listed. Audio shop says yes. I still want feedback before pulling the trigger.
    2018 Craz

Nothing at all wrong those pairings. However, Id go with the D2 12" so you get the amp's 500W potential from the woofer chnl.

It's pretty light for what the zones could handle.

250w being on the lowest end of the Revs recommended power and 300w being a low powered 12".
    Ideally you would be around 300-400w per Rev and 600w sub zone .... to come close to keeping pace with 4 Revs.

As far as I know, though, that requires going from 2 amps to 3, which may seem like a lot.

In regards to adequacy, it will work and be enjoyable but there is definitely lots of room on the table.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

You can under power the kicker 6.5’s and they’ll still sound great. The REV 10’s will sound like shit if you under power them. The sub can be underpowered a little.

I think as stated above you’d be better off going with 3 amps. You can run all 6 of the kickers off a 400 watt amp. You won’t gain anything by running more watts than that. Going with 3 amps will be more efficient. No offense; but I’m not a big fan of Fosgate. They made great products in the early 90’s. I guarantee those Fosgate amps don’t produce the watts they’re advertising and they’re expensive.

Take a look at Exile Audio. Their equipment is as good if not better than wetsounds and their prices are very reasonable.
    I’d run the REV 10’s off an EXILE XM30.2
    They always have demo amps available at a discount. If they don’t list any demo’s on their website, give them a call and they’ll get you one. If want one hell of a sub, check out exile’s Big 12 DVC 2000 watt RMS, 4000 peak. I’m pretty the technology for that subwoofer was created by the Soviet Union during the Cold War for use as a weapon of mass destruction!

Just make sure you run min 12awg speaker to to the REV’s and Sub. The kicker’s you can use the stock wire that was run at factory. Run 0awg power and ground wire from the battery to the amps. And good quality RCA’s.

Many stereo shops like selling their customer on “mega” amps ~ i.e bragging rights: “mine’s bigger than yours.” The reality is; it limits your ability to expand, adapt or modify the system overtime. Most of those “mega” amps are power hogs and will clip if your really pushing them. In addition, they produce a lot of heat which is not good for the longevity of the Amp. Wetsounds and Exile are the exception when it comes to big amps. But again you loose the adaptability.

Just my 2 cents.

Keep us posted and share the final install pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

The REV 10’s will sound like shit if you under power them.
    I’d run the REV 10’s off an EXILE XM30.2
    @jeepers,

You do realize that the amp you just recommended, will only deliver 210W rms to each of the tower speakers? And the OP's original amp choice will deliver 250W rms to each tower speakers. Sadly, your suggestion is a step back.

And to KG's post about needing 3 amps. As noted already, the 1000.5 will deliver up to 500W rms to the correct woofer. There is no audible difference between 500 and 600 watt rms.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    And to KG's post about needing 3 amps. As noted already, the 1000.5 will deliver up to 500W rms to the correct woofer. There is no audible difference between 500 and 600 watt rms.
    Sure, but is it not a leap to think you will get a consistent 500w at 1 ohm and at varying voltage levels, on that amp?

I'd certainly defer to your experience as I have very little. It has been my understanding, though, it is tough to compare a 5th channel to a dedicated 600w amp for sub power. I've always seen the sub zone options in the following tiers:

1. Use a 5th channel and lower power handling sub (300-500)
    2. Use a dedicated mid power level amp and sub (600-750)
    3. Use a dedicated big power level amp and sub (1000-1500)
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Sure, but is it not a leap to think you will get a consistent 500w at 1 ohm and at varying voltage levels, on that amp?
    This would be applied equally to any amp at any safe/rated operating impedance, would you agree? In other words, if the 500W amp is going to not be constant for the above stated, then a 600W will also not be constant.

It has been my understanding, though, it is tough to compare a 5th channel to a dedicated 600w amp for sub power.
    Most every 5 chnl amps are 2 amps in one chassis. A mono low-pass woofer amp and a 4 chnl full range amp. Absolutely no reason you can compare for example, a 500W rms mono to the 500W woofer chnl of a 5 chnl amp. Take another 5 chnl amp that delivers 400W and you can safely compare it to a 400W rms mono. As long as the company is known to be reliable with the rated specs, and I have never known Rockford to NOT be credible in the their advertised rated specs.

Since the woofer he is looking at is a 400 rms/800 peak, with a 500W amp, we are at 25% above the woofer's RMS. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Now, are there advantages to going with a higher output amp? Sure! More headroom always means the amp can be run a little more Conservative.

Agreed but does ohm load come into play?

500w at 1ohm is same as 500w at 4ohm? It's certainly possible that 500w is 500w but i thought it was a touch more complicated than that.

Put another way .... Are you saying that throughout a day on the lake i can get 500w consistently and as reliably at 1ohm in a 5 channel as i can running at 4ohms in a stand alone?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KG's Supra24; 09-18-2018 at 01:32 PM.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    I've always seen the sub zone options in the following tiers:

1. Use a 5th channel and lower power handling sub (300-500)
    2. Use a dedicated mid power level amp and sub (600-750)
    3. Use a dedicated big power level amp and sub (1000-1500)
    Sssprf4471 , pony up for option 3 and don't look back. I have a REVO 12 XXX being pushed by a SYN-DX2.3 HP and this combo slams in my Craz.
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Default Question for the Stereoheads

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    @jeepers,

You do realize that the amp you just recommended, will only deliver 210W rms to each of the tower speakers? And the OP's original amp choice will deliver 250W rms to each tower speakers. Sadly, your suggestion is a step back.

Not sure where you came up with 210W? Is he running 4 REV 10’s? The XM30.2 delivers 300W rms x 2 @ 4ohms which is conservative. Each exile amp is bench tested individually and comes with a certification stating the amps true output; which is always higher than their advertised output. If I missed that he is running 4 Rev10’s then you’re correct. In addition, I’d recommend he swap 2 of the REV 10’s out for a pair of icons. It’ll sound a hell of a lot better while surfing.

I guarantee the true output of any Fosgate amp is no more 75-80% of what they advertise. If you run that thing for any length of time close to max output; It will clip and over heat.

The point of running three amps is efficiency, power output consistency and heat reduction. In addition, you’ll get better tunability (if that’s a word)

I’ve got no stake in this horse race. I was providing an educated opinion on how I would build this system. At the end of the day the guy sitting in the captains chair is what’s important. My opinion is just that; my opinion.

If the goal is bragging rights: “I’ve got 1000W Amp!” Then that’s the way to go. If the goal is a great sounding system that will last a very long time and can be easily adapted to future expansion or modifications; then the 3 amp system is the way to go.

I just want the individual who asked for our input to be happy with final build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Jeepers; 09-18-2018 at 03:03 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV