Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boat fenders

I have them on my Supra SL. Really makes things quick and easy at the dock - and saves room on your cleats. If you have “help” from a spouse or child it’s nice to know the fenders will always be secured properly vs just using the rope

1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

So, I religiously use the Exile Buoy Balls. They are actually a thicker rubber than the kids hippity hops and they're designed to be soft and not scratch your gelcoat.

I have more of them than I even need and all of them put together take up the space of maybe 1 traditional fender when deflated. I use a loop of nylon webbing with sidebuckle clips to attach them and vary their length. I've found that what matters for me is keeping that physical distance between my boat and whatever I'm tied up to. With docks, I've had chop and rollers that rocked my boat so hard that I can guarantee I'd have had gelcoat damage with traditional fenders. Same with another boat in a tieup. The exile balls have protected 100%.

I inflate them with a 12v pump (the type that other people use for tubes). I even like the clever messages that are on some of my exile balls, "Bump your tunes, not my boat".

I only dock my boat when mooring it for camping or the rare tie-up/dock visit. for daily use, we just nose up to the dock to pickup or dropoff the driver of the tow rig.

Okay, 3 buoy balls is PLENTY, but I think I was bored and had extra ones for my camping trip! LOL
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I personally use Lets Tie Up balls, but regardless, I highly recommend the bigger fender balls. I wouldnt go with anything less than 15". Youll find that some people wont even tie up with you unless you have big fenders, and I dont blame them.
    2019' Moomba Max

Lets Tie Up for sure. We use 4, 2 per side, when tied up and haven't had an issue.
    2018 Moomba MOJO
    4100lbs. ENZO's, Center Tank, IBS
    780lbs. Lead Wake
    Raptor 400
    Surf Prop: OJ 945
    2019 Ford F150 FX4
    5.0L V8

Mission bumpers are over priced, take up too much room in the boat and don't keep your boat far enough away from other boats if you tie up.
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

For loading at a dock and fueling etc, the missions seem like the ticket don’t they? Not dealing with ropes and setting regular bumpers at correct height. We don’t tie up with other boats (we anchor when coving out)..we have the regular Taylor buoys and they are a pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I run the 18"+ Hippity hops attached to Phender Pro plugs. Best fender setup I have ever used. They are fast as hell to deploy and remove and we never have to adjust them. I keep 2 inflated in the rear locker and 2 more deflated if need be. I've used hippity hops as fenders for over a decade and have never punctured one. They are nice and soft and won't scratch your boat.
    2019 SUPRA SE 450
    2015 Tige Z1 (SOLD)
    2014 Tige Z1 (SOLD)
    2012 Yamaha 212SS (SOLD)
    2008 Yamaha AR210 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
    For loading at a dock and fueling etc, the missions seem like the ticket don’t they? Not dealing with ropes and setting regular bumpers at correct height. We don’t tie up with other boats (we anchor when coving out)..we have the regular Taylor buoys and they are a pain

IMO Mission fenders don't offer a lot of protection, especially if it's rough or tying up to other boats. The whole point of a fender is to create space and keep your boat at a safe distance from other things like the dock or other boats. When you look at a Mission fender it looks no more thick than a traditional cylindrical 6-8" fender so I don't see how it offers any additional protection. If you want to create the most distance and safest means of protecting your boat I'd switch to ball fenders like the Exile, LetsTieUp or the kids hippity hop balls.

2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    IMO Mission fenders don't offer a lot of protection, especially if it's rough or tying up to other boats. The whole point of a fender is to create space and keep your boat at a safe distance from other things like the dock or other boats. When you look at a Mission fender it looks no more thick than a traditional cylindrical 6-8" fender so I don't see how it offers any additional protection. If you want to create the most distance and safest means of protecting your boat I'd switch to ball fenders like the Exile, LetsTieUp or the kids hippity hop balls.

We don’t tie up with other boats (we anchor when chilling) and I was just wondering best option for tying up quickly to the gas docks etc. I don’t want to mess with inflating and deflating things when I have a boat full of kids.

If I had a private boat dock of my own, I can see using those balls as they would just hang off the dock...I thought the missions would be easier to hang off a cleat vs our traditional cylinder buoys with rope attached...sometimes they are hung too high and other times too low by the kids...seems the missions would just hang there and protect high up and over and below the rub line? But they do seem a bit thin like you said