Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Upgraded Boat Cover Offered?

Skier's Choice,
    In the below topic on the General Chat BB, I posted about my new boat cover:

https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.p...asc&highlight=

I have gotten significant numbers of complements on the new cover. More importantly, I believe the cover makes the boat look much better (see the old cover picture versus the new cover pictures). I absolutely hated the original cover and it never worked worth a darn. The new cover enhances the graceful, sleek look of the boat.

Here's the thing - why doesn't Skier's Choice offer this cover as an upgraded cover? A poleless, towable, great looking cover was well worth the money to me and I don't see too many others that value their boats squawking about the cost. Just wondering why not?

You guys should really check out the 2007 Supra and Moomba covers. They are made of a new material called weather-max. It is SOOO nice. It looks very similar to the custom one you had made. I know the Supra one is trailerable. The only difference between the Supra and Moomba covers for 2007 is that the Supra straps come off. I think that if you find a way to control your straps from flapping around, the Moomba cover could be towable as well.

Jon, I agree with what you are saying about the new covers offered for the 07 supra's/ moomba covers. Very nice.

In my point of view anyone with a 06 or older Supra or a 05 Moomba(new models) are out of luck having the option for these much better updated covers unless someone from sc can give us any feedback.

On my first use of my cover the front starboard strap ripped all the way half way thru to the playpen.

db

These new covers will fit on a lot of the older boats. Like the 2007 Outback V cover will fit on 2001-2005 Mobius LSV's and LS's. The 2007 Outback cover should fit back to 2002 Outbacks. The 2007 XLV cover will fit all XLV's.

For Supra, the 2007 21V cover will fit all 21Vs and 21s back until 2005. Of course the 2007 24 covers will fit all 24's. Anybody with older 22SSV's, LTS's and slightly older boats will have to get something custome made.

Jon,
    Are you 100% certain the new covers have no poles and are trailerable? And, they will perfectly fit the older Moomas? It sounds like SC may have come to sanity on some of its covers, but your comments on guessing on the Moomba covers does everyone no good. How about a solid, response from Skiers Choice on this???

Yes, I am sure the covers will fit on the boat I have mentioned above. The new covers DO HAVE the sleeves for poles but I have found that the covers fit so good on the boat, the poles are usually not needed. Also, these covers DO HAVE straps. You will need to find a way to secure the straps inside the cover (or remove them) so that they do not flap on the side of the boat.

The factory will tell you that the Moomba covers are not trailerable but in my experience they have worked fine at low speeds at short distances with the straps secured inside the boat. Also, let me clear up some confusion. I am not saying to use this cover while trailering a boat. I do not think there is a cover on the market anywhere that is truly trailerable that will not hurt your boat in any way. I am saying that if you must tow with a cover, this may be an option. In my experience it has worked.

As long as the covers have sleeves for poles and SC says they are not trailerable,, my posting stands. My cover requires no poles, has no sleeves for them and comes without them. It is clearly supported as trailerable. This is the upgrade we need, not an unsupported version of a weak cover from SC.

Ed,
    You're being facetious, aren't you? I know you know that most of the add-ons from Skier's Choice are after market, not manufactured by Skier's Choice (such as the tower, racks, stereo, pop-up cleats, ....). In fact, Skier's Choice (as are most of the boat manufacturers) is more of an assembler than a manufacturer. Other than the hull, most of the boat is off-the-shelf , aftermarket components (engines, transmissions, etc). I would also bet big that Skier's Choice does not make their own boat covers.

What I am asking is having an upgrade choice, from Skier's Choice on the covers. I would bet that Skier's Choice has a majority share of first time new boat owners. Based on this website and the discussions, I believe I would easily win that bet. For a first time new boat owner, you tend to get what is recommended. In fact, the boat cover was one of the five add-on items offered for free as part of the boat show promotion. I bought at the boat show and it was highly recommended that I get the boat cover as one of the five free items. It was the only item I regretted getting - a complete waste of money. And, in following these forums, it is a universal complaint. For $600+ dollars, the cover never worked worth a damn (the poles and sleeves are a joke and continue to be if you look at the BB forums) and wore out in 2.5 years. I would have loved to have Skier's Choice or the dealer tell me I needed a boat cover, but for $200 more I could get a trailerable, poleless, easy to use and much better looking cover than the regular cover and it would last much longer.

That didn't happen because SC only offers one basic cover.

BTW, I likewise would bet that SC makes significant profit on what you call accessories.

Ed Im going to stop by Watersports of Central Florida next time Im down there just because of all the little plugs you give them!

Attwood made the SC cover the last few years - this year they changed, so I am not sure who makes the new weather-tek one.

-J

p.s. Bob & Rob @ WS of CFL are the best !