Default 07 XLV or LSV....Enough power?

Hey all. I'm selling my Malibu and getting a Moomba this winter and my question is this....Preferring to get the XLV for the additional space, is the 340hp engine going to be enough power with the bigger hull than the LSV. My friend has an 05 Malibu VLX with a 340hp engine and it chugs pretty hard with 12 people in it just to get up on plane while pulling someone.....and its a 21' hull like the LSV. I routinely have a full boat, not to mention adding ballast and using the wakeplate...Does the XLV have enough power to get the job done??? Your thoughts are appreciated....

Default Re: 07 XLV or LSV....Enough power?

I have a 2005 XLV with the 340HP engine. Using the stock prop and no ballast, I was good with up to 8-10 people. I noticed it struggling a bit with that many people AND ballast (Gravity III -- 1200lbs). With a ballast upgrade in the works, I checked out prop upgrades, as discussed here: https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?p=18900. Problem solved.

I recall reading somewhere here that the prop that I got (14.25X14 LH XMP EDGE 4BLD, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OJ466) or a similar model is going to be the "upgrade" prop on the XLV. Can someone kindly verify?

Anyway, since you like to ride heavy routinely, I recommend bypassing the base stock prop and getting a lower-pitch prop. BTW, the OJ "Just In Case" kit works very well, and is a safe (for passengers) place to store a spare prop.

Definitely get the upgraded wakeboard prop. I would get this on any boat for wakeboarding actually. It helps with the holeshot and saves on gas too because of quick planing times.

Keep in mind with the XLV, if you are running full ballast and have 12 or so people, that may be too much weight. You simply don't need that much weight for that boat. I would say full ballast with 3-6 people and then maybe half rear ballast with any over that. Moombas really lilke weight up front and in the middle so I would always have the playpen locker sack filled.

Also, the Wakeplate does not hinder the boats progress like the Malibu's wing does. MUCH more drag on the wing. The Mobius hull is designed to make a wake without any additional help - "using the wakeplate'" usually means getting it out of the way so the hull can do its job.

-J