Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Melted Board

Good call . . . thanks.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxMojo View Post
    Where are you finding them for $30? The cheapest I have found is $38 on Wakemakers.
    I found some surf socks for ocean boards that were of course too long, but a good deal on amazon. I used them with the too long end for a while, and eventually had my mom cut them down to length and sew them back together. The wife has one with a round tip that works great for her Doomswell Spark Plug, and mine has a pointy tip (like an ocean shortboard) that's great for my Doomswell Nubstep.

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Thanks for that, hence why Supra has a surf locker.

Wake boards in board rack, surf boards in surf locker or a board bag.

Making sense now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would wonder how many of our boards would fit in the surf locker. I have a Doomswell Nubstep with the John John Grom fins and it's pretty thick all together. I'd think that maybe my board could fit, but certainly not 2 or 3 of them.

We'll regularly be out on our boat with mine and my wife's Doomswell surf boards (on the cargo bimini in board socks with bungees securing them on padded crossbars). Then we'll have 3 wakeboards, and two more compression molded surfboards (my kid's phase 5 scamp and a ronix caption "boat board" that all fit in wakeboard racks. We usually carry the wakefoil board, and that goes on the overhead board racks that I built, and we'll also throw my buddy's EPS foam core board up on the overhead rack also (because it's too thick and fragile for board racks).

Here's a good example of my need for board storage. Typical weekend day and we used all of these boards. (and my son wasn't with us, so his wakeboard and surfboard weren't on the boat that time).

But you can see the board socks on mine the the wife's boards. When we're trailering, we can fit the Ronix caption, adult wakeboard, and my friend's EPS surfboard in our playpen locker under the bow. My wakeboard and surfboard go in the Port locker (my son's surfboard can go in there too). The wife's Surfboard and my slalom ski ride in the starboard locker and we can put my son's wakeboard in there too if desired. The Foilboard goes on the floor when trailering. We can leave surfboards up on the overhead racks if we want when trailering--they have cambuckle straps and it's like having a surfboard on a roof rack of a car.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Default Melted Board

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I found some surf socks for ocean boards that were of course too long, but a good deal on amazon. I used them with the too long end for a while, and eventually had my mom cut them down to length and sew them back together. The wife has one with a round tip that works great for her Doomswell Spark Plug, and mine has a pointy tip (like an ocean shortboard) that's great for my Doomswell Nubstep.

I would wonder how many of our boards would fit in the surf locker. I have a Doomswell Nubstep with the John John Grom fins and it's pretty thick all together. I'd think that maybe my board could fit, but certainly not 2 or 3 of them.

We'll regularly be out on our boat with mine and my wife's Doomswell surf boards (on the cargo bimini in board socks with bungees securing them on padded crossbars). Then we'll have 3 wakeboards, and two more compression molded surfboards (my kid's phase 5 scamp and a ronix caption "boat board" that all fit in wakeboard racks. We usually carry the wakefoil board, and that goes on the overhead board racks that I built, and we'll also throw my buddy's EPS foam core board up on the overhead rack also (because it's too thick and fragile for board racks).

Here's a good example of my need for board storage. Typical weekend day and we used all of these boards. (and my son wasn't with us, so his wakeboard and surfboard weren't on the boat that time).

But you can see the board socks on mine the the wife's boards. When we're trailering, we can fit the Ronix caption, adult wakeboard, and my friend's EPS surfboard in our playpen locker under the bow. My wakeboard and surfboard go in the Port locker (my son's surfboard can go in there too). The wife's Surfboard and my slalom ski ride in the starboard locker and we can put my son's wakeboard in there too if desired. The Foilboard goes on the floor when trailering. We can leave surfboards up on the overhead racks if we want when trailering--they have cambuckle straps and it's like having a surfboard on a roof rack of a car.

The surf locker would hold 1-2 medium length boards, it is length limited.

The Supra Bimini sleeves are nice with the attached cinch straps, skim boards will fit the ptm racks......just need to get some sleeves.

I can sew , so thanks for the ocean board sleeve idea.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 09-07-2018 at 01:47 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    The surf locker would hold 1-2 medium length boards, it is length limited.

The Supra Bimini sleeves are nice with the attached cinch straps, skim boards will fit the ptm racks......just need to get some sleeves.

I can sew , so thanks for the ocean board sleeve idea.

I wouldn't be concerned with length, I'd be concerned with thickness with the big thruster fins on my surf style boards. (ya know, it's not always about length, it's thickness! THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!). Mine and my wife's Doomswell boards are 4'6 and 4'4 respectively, so they're short but thicker. For us, the cargo bimini is really important. I've got my setup pretty dialed for storage, but I wouldn't complain if someone parked an SA in my driveway!!!

The skim board we have is compression molded. I don't see that one having any melting issues. Just our thicker EPS foam core surf style boards that get socks.

do a search on Amazon for "Surf board sock" and you'll get lots of hits on ones that you can chop down to size.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    Good call . . . thanks.
    That looks like the Ronix sock I have. It's nice but not very durable. It's almost like woven yarn, and gets holes easily.
    2019 Supra SL450

That foil makes the boat look like a spy plane. Pretty cool.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

With all those boards, who needs a bimini?
    2019 Supra SL450

I can fit 2 skim boards with fins in the SA locker, maybe my Doomswell Drone with no fins and one skim. 3 skims with no fins attached. I have surf socks, paid about $25 each on eBay. The mission are nice, but they aren't $30, the ones he posted are a different brand.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    That foil makes the boat look like a spy plane. Pretty cool.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    haha. you know that I REALLY just keep the foil up there to look cool while cruising around. It's all about the 'street cred'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    With all those boards, who needs a bimini?
    Exactly. We pretty much NEVER run the fabric on the bimini frame. (I modded the frame to have bungees that work w/o the cover)
    In fact, the only time we really ever take the bimini cover out is if it starts raining! LOL

Oh, and you can't discount the use of the bimini frame for drying out wet life jackets and neoprene once we get back home!
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Best to keep quality surf style boards in a board bag, this will thermally and impact protect it. Sock really only provide some amount of UV protection. Sock, actually get very hot in the sun. Many people get their boards wet and the sock damp to provide an evaporative cooler effect. The resins do not melt, but can soften, all epoxies can soften with heat. Epoxies used for surfboard are designed around flexural characteristics, modulus, viscosity, clarity, ease of use, etc. You aren't going to recreate the wheel here by trying to come up with a better resin. Air inside a foam core will expand with heat, this can cause pressure to build up which can result in many different things depending on the board build, age and condition. Maybe nothing, maybe water pushed out from a hole or ding, maybe a small bubble, maybe a big delamination. Warping or sagging can occur can also occur. Often people don't realize their board is warped. I see garage band builders all the time put out warped boards because they do not really understand the building process.

Best board socks around and best prices anywhere:
    https://chaossurfco.com/board-bags-r...os-board-socks

Best board bags money can buy:
    https://chaossurfco.com/board-bags-r...haos-board-bag

Nick