Quick update on the melted board as not many of us have taken a power tool to our boards, here is what I found expect first and unexpected second -

Expected
Its a polystyrene foam core, very similar to packing foam
There is a wood stringer with something like fibreglass tape over the top, I assume the tape is bonded and provides some additional rigidity rather than just cosmetic for reasons we will get to in a minute.
The polystyrene core is wrapped in at least two layers of fibreglass cloth on the bottom and at least one on the top

And now the unexpected -
Cosmetics - The paint is not paint, its a thin screen printed synthetic fabric which is sandwiched between two layers of glass on the bottom or the board
On the top the fabric is covered by resin without the layer of glass over it

Impact of the cosmetic layer - While tearing down the damaged area it was possible to score the top layer of fibreglass and pull large sections away this seemed to be a result of a poor bond between the synthetic fabric and lower layer of glass.

I have a video which I will upload if and when I find my go pro cable, in the meantime here are some picks of the current state of the repair, next step is to a new layer of glass on the prepped area.

underboard.jpgoverboard.jpg