Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Melted Board

I wonder if the new Doomswell boards with the air release pressure valve thing is legit or a gimic?
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

I need “Awesomeness”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Looks like my Dooms bag with a different label.

2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    Looks like my Dooms bag with a different label.

yeah, guess who was producing these first and whose been manufacturing board bags specifically for wakesurfboard for well over a decade.....

Vents are not new, vents have been going onto EPS cored surfboards since expanded and extruded polystyrene were first used as core material. We use to manufacture our own vent system that we sold to others. Vents go out of style and come back into style. Most custom board don't have vents because the core material is better or can be better quality.
    General rule of thumb if the core material is less than 2lb pcf and the board is over 6' long you might consider a vent, also if the board is produced in china with potentially lower quality core material then a vent is a cheap safe guard. Might help, might not.

Nick

Hi,

OP Update - My first attempt to use the sun to reshape the board was not the best idea, the board has become very badly delaminated to the extent that last night I used a dremel to cut out a large section of glass - about the size of an LP if anyone remembers them. Under the glass, the foam is badly melted in a pattern that follows the black pattern of the paint scheme.

In addition to the delamination the glass itself is also warped, if it had not warped as badly I would have tried injecting resin under the glass to fill and rebind the glass/resin/foam.

My current plan is to learn what I can from the many surfboard repair videos online and have a go at filling and reglassing.

Will take some pics as I go in case anyone else finds themselves with a melted board and wants to learn from my repair/mistakes.

mpbanskie

Soooooo, no black surfboards with foam cores if they plan to see direct sun for any extended period of time.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by mpbanskie View Post
    Hi,

OP Update - My first attempt to use the sun to reshape the board was not the best idea, the board has become very badly delaminated to the extent that last night I used a dremel to cut out a large section of glass - about the size of an LP if anyone remembers them. Under the glass, the foam is badly melted in a pattern that follows the black pattern of the paint scheme.

In addition to the delamination the glass itself is also warped, if it had not warped as badly I would have tried injecting resin under the glass to fill and rebind the glass/resin/foam.

My current plan is to learn what I can from the many surfboard repair videos online and have a go at filling and reglassing.

Will take some pics as I go in case anyone else finds themselves with a melted board and wants to learn from my repair/mistakes.

mpbanskie
    Go get some lightwight spackle and fill/cover over your melted foam. Once dry it will sand nice and easy. In the past these products were bright white, but many of the brands at big box stores have been colored grey to match normal spackle/mud, or have pink dyes that turn white. In your case since you will likely be painting it anyway you can use the grey stuff. Lightweight spackle is used by the industry to fill and smooth out rough foam, especially low quality EPS. Modern high quality EPS designed for surfboards does not require this step. This will seal your foam and allow you to get a finish suitable for re-glassing. You can hit us up and we can walk you through everything and even get a rebuild kit together to redo your board.

Cheers, Nick

Winter project

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

I don't know how many guys suggested it...but surf sock your board when you are not riding it. If it's really hot and / or in a bimini surf pocket, put your board in the sock. Throw the whole thing in the water. A wet surf sock acts as A.C. for the board. Direct sun on hot days will warp surf boards. And they aren't cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    Winter project

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    Winter ?
    Winter.png