Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Melted Board

Default Melted Board

Hi,

Just a short note of caution, we left one of our boards exposed to sunlight while we were out for two hours. On return the board had sagged very badly in the areas where the paint was darkest.

I won't name the brand as having had a search on surf board forums, I believe this would apply to all of our surf style construction boards on a warm enough day, be especially of boards with dark colours.

Regards

Duane.

Quote Originally Posted by mpbanskie View Post
    Hi,

Just a short note of caution, we left one of our boards exposed to sunlight while we were out for two hours. On return the board had sagged very badly in the areas where the paint was darkest.

I won't name the brand as having had a search on surf board forums, I believe this would apply to all of our surf style construction boards on a warm enough day, be especially of boards with dark colours.

Regards

Duane.
    You shouldn't be leaving the board out like that, if you do you should buy a board sock.
    Last edited by parrothd; 09-01-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Are you boating on Venus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More information on where board was left in the sun? Was it on the boat? In the board rack?

I would hope a board is designed to sit in a board rack on the boat for the day without a sock on it.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I leave mine in the Bimini top all day while on the water. I have never had an issue, but I would love to know where yours was left out. I did have a issues with a board expanding on me, but that was because it had a chip out of it and I didn’t repair it. Water got in the board and it had about an 8” round bulge that was 1” tall. Learned the hard way and had to buy a new one. Thank goodness it was a old spare board.

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    6 Pump Ballast, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Digital Cruise Pro 3 (paddle wheel)
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

2005 Supra Launch 22SSV - Sold

2 hours? Not doubting you, wow.

2018 Supra SL400

Says on my two LF boards to not leave them in the car.
    2006 Mobius LSV
    New to boating and surfing

Automotive interiors can reach 185F max in Death Valley. But realistic temps are maxed out at 165F even in Texas.

Interested in what resins are used on boards than melt below 165F

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Automotive interiors can reach 185F max in Death Valley. But realistic temps are maxed out at 165F even in Texas.

Interested in what resins are used on boards than melt below 165F
    Most epoxy used in surfboard construction had a HDT (heat deflection temperature) of 120F + or -

Def do NOT leave them in the sun. Keep them in a bag/sock when not in use. In addition to heat UV will cause discoloration. Def do NOT leave them in a car.

Rule of thumb - if you wouldn’t leave your dog in the situation don’t leave your surfboard. - hahaha
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

Yep. Bought my first wake boat last year and the salesman sold me a decent $700 board to get started on. Left it in the board rack all day while on the water and the glue holding the carbon fiber shell let go, caused a huge bubble on the bottom of the board. At first they weren't going to warranty it but I convinced them if they don't they damn well should start putting a sticker on the board warning people against leaving in direct sunlight. I had no idea but do now. They gave me a new board and now I make sure that all my boards get used (water will keep them cool obviously) or stored in the shade for longer periods.
    '19 Moomba Max