Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

However, they don't do much when emptying the bag to keep air from flowing back into it from the vent. I still got a lot of air back into the bag -
    This is the exact scenario I described earlier, that some experience with the Bosworth (again, sold by wake makers) one way check valve.

They won't stop passive drain, regardless of which check valve it is, because the flow direction is from the bag out the vent.
    Absolutely correct, with a flapper style like the Bosworth valve. However, we have had great success stopping passive drain in the vent line. We have even had good results using them in the drain line on aerator system, so reduce passive draining from a pour to a trickle.

@ Shoebox,

You still got some season left? What size is your vent line? Ill send you a couple to try if you like. PM me your address.

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    The check valves are designed to release at a little bit higher pressure point than the water exerts. From what I understand. So they’ll release with air but they will not release with water.

I guess I’m wrong possibly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Air may be able to escape a bit against a closed valve because air molecules are smaller than water, but regardless, you could pop a bag or fitting if you had check valves installed to stop water flowing overboard.

If the valve is spring-loaded, I guess it could stop passive drain once the bag is no longer completely full (i.e., under pressure). I'm fairly certain my check valves are not spring-loaded. That's why I ask which valves MLA uses.

Even with that type of valve, the bag won't remain completely full, because there is quite a bit of pressure in a truly full bag, and would drain overboard until pressure equalizes.
    2019 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    @ Shoebox,

You still got some season left? What size is your vent line? Ill send you a couple to try if you like. PM me your address.
    We have dry suits, so we'll be hitting it through October. I'd be interested to try them. I'll send you a PM.
    2019 Supra SL450

I’m just telling you what the stated purpose of the wakemakers check valve is. I believe they are spring-loaded in some capacity. And are inserted to prevent passive draining during a surfing session.

I think a check valve to you is more about draining after a session then it is preventing passive draining while the bag is full.

Nevertheless, I did find some inconsistency in their ability to release and removed them.

Again, I could be dead wrong!

And, by the way, if I am dead wrong I apologize!

I’m just telling you what the stated purpose of the wakemakers check valve is. I believe they are spring-loaded in some capacity. And are inserted to prevent passive draining during a surfing session.

I think a check valve to you is more about draining after a session then it is preventing passive draining while the bag is full.

Nevertheless, I did find some inconsistency in their ability to release and removed them.

Again, I could be dead wrong!

I was curious, because I had never read the Wakemakers description of their valves. Interestingly, anti-siphoning via the vent is not listed as a possible application. They have an anti-siphoning loop for that, but you have to have room in your locker above the bag for those to work.

I'm going to have to take one apart when I get home to see how they're designed to work.
    2019 Supra SL450

And, by the way, if I am dead wrong I apologize!

Same here. I'm actually enjoying the discussion.
    2019 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    I was curious, because I had never read the Wakemakers description of their valves. Interestingly, anti-siphoning via the vent is not listed as a possible application. They have an anti-siphoning loop for that, but you have to have room in your locker above the bag for those to work.

I'm going to have to take one apart when I get home to see how they're designed to work.
    The valves that were included with my hoses aren’t listed online as a separate item.....interestingly. They came with the vent line upgrade kit.

So we have an apples to oranges dealio going as well...

The valves that were included with my hoses aren’t listed online as a separate item.....interestingly. They came with the vent line upgrade kit.

So we have an apples to oranges dealio going as well...

Do you have a pic of your valves?

This is the mess that was attached to my IBS system when I bought the boat, the kit that the prior owners got from Wakemakers. I cut most of that crap out and moved the check valves to the locker vent lines.
    2019 Supra SL450

Could not put my hands on an actual Bosworth, even though im sure I have one here somewhere. I do have one that works on the same principal. 2 plastic halves with a rubber gasket between them, with a flapper cut about 90% around. No mechanical parts at all in them. They simply work when there is a back pressure against the flapper.

These flapper types can close under vacuum, closing off the sac vent while draining. However, over time and use, the flapper can get a little muscle memory so to speak, and hang slightly open. When this happens, a slight vacuum when draining, may not be enough to seat the valve, allowing air in to the sac.

IMG_20180926_104214619.jpg

IMG_20180926_104239608.jpg