Threaded View

Default Joined the Moomba Club – 1998 Mobius

Just picked up a 1998 Moomba Mobius. It’s rough looking on the outside, but runs strong. I was a car mechanic for a few years after college and do all my own work on cars. I have a 67 GTO I restored in the mid 90’s, as well as a non-restored 69 GTO and a 67 Olds 442. I have 2 boys who are 6 & 7 and started looking for a boat a few months ago. I wanted an inboard ski/wakeboard boat so I was looking at Mastercraft, Moomba, Nautique, etc… My budget was only around $3k - $5k. Maybe up to $6k if I found something really nice. On Friday I found a Moomba Mobius in the local Craigslist.

When I called, the owner told me the exterior was in rough shape, but ran great. Said he never waxed it. Pulled it out of the lake, took it home and parked it. Never wiped it down, etc… He wanted $5k for it. I looked at it on Sunday. Half of the windshield was broken, 1,200 hours on it. To say the gelcoat is rough would be an understatement. He was very honest and open about everything. Really great guy. I had taken money for a deposit with me, but didn’t make an offer, it was too rough. Thought about it overnight and called him this morning.

Offered $3k and he accepted! Picked it up a little while ago. Got a pile of stuff with it…life jackets, 3 old wakeboards, ropes, etc…

I have gauges to do a compression check. I'll do that later this week, but I don't expect any issues.

She ain’t pretty, but she can dance!

Last edited by 1967Goat; 08-27-2018 at 07:54 PM.