Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2001 Mobius MDC location ??

After countless hours of research not only online in this forum but others as well .....I for the life of me can not find a MDC unit. I have check under the dash (the complete dash guages and all are removed) , checked under "glove box" battery location , checked rear of boat under every panel (which are all removed as well). ....nothing . No MDC , No breaker panel, no fuse panel literally nothing . I was told to follow the speedo tubes to the MDC . I have 2 speedos with grey wires to each . Followed those to the back to absolutely nothing .

Any suggestions as to where to go from here ? The guages were removed because almost all either weren't working or only for odd moments they would work then stop .

Uh, what's an MDC unit?

I can do some tracing and take pics if I know what I'm looking for.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

MDC 1600 that operates the guages? That's the issue I am having with this boat Haha!! I haven't seen a single fuse box , breaker or the MDC unit which is apparently a black box that your harness connects to for your guages that can be located apparently under the dash , by the battery or in the transom on the starboard side !?! This is my first Moomba boat and have had major issues this far not only finding parts but trying to repair it

This is apparently it . The speedo goes directly to it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Btw from your picture on your profile we literally have the exact same boat ....colors interior etc .

If your boat has one, it had to be very close to the gauges. I replaced my paddlewheel and ran the wire from the hull all the way up to a connector right below the speedos.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

Quote Originally Posted by Darter View Post
    If your boat has one, it had to be very close to the gauges. I replaced my paddlewheel and ran the wire from the hull all the way up to a connector right below the speedos.

Did you run it directly to the speedos? Or did you tap into the harness that connects to the board behind the dash ? All my guages pretty much stopped working. Took them all out including the dash surround. Cleaned each connector , replaced all connectors with heat shrink , cleaned the circut boards (large one and small one for the toggles). Went to reinstall and the guages will not work ....none of them at all will even move . Thought it might just be a ground but the circut board is grounded through the harness . Then I was told it could be the MDC unit , or a breaker etc etc....cant find anything of a sports on the boat ...but they HAVE to be protected somewhere via fuse or breaker or MDC something ....otherwise all those guages ame toggles are open to being blown. I'm missing something here and the bad thing is I do wiring for a living Haha!! (Not for boats or auto though )

Quote Originally Posted by Tydogg View Post
    Did you run it directly to the speedos? Or did you tap into the harness that connects to the board behind the dash ? All my guages pretty much stopped working. Took them all out including the dash surround. Cleaned each connector , replaced all connectors with heat shrink , cleaned the circut boards (large one and small one for the toggles). Went to reinstall and the guages will not work ....none of them at all will even move . Thought it might just be a ground but the circut board is grounded through the harness . Then I was told it could be the MDC unit , or a breaker etc etc....cant find anything of a sports on the boat ...but they HAVE to be protected somewhere via fuse or breaker or MDC something ....otherwise all those guages ame toggles are open to being blown. I'm missing something here and the bad thing is I do wiring for a living Haha!! (Not for boats or auto though )
    Currently each speedo has a grey wire with a Ground, Hot and Signal I'm guessing . Each wire has 3 wires in it . Both run to the rear and both run under the fuel tank one on each side

Sounds like you're set up differently. I just had one cable to the paddlewheel in the middle of the boat. Hot, ground, speed.

My cable ended at an inline plug hanging behind the gauges. I didn't trace beyond that point tho.

2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

You didn't clarify if you are a D-Drive or V-Drive. Under the dash there are no fuses, or MDC. Only a circuit board for your manual switches and a pass through for the engine wiring harness to your gauges.

On mine (V-Drive) under the distributor (technically the back of then engine) and on top of the transmission is the main engine wiring harness connections. That's really all there is on these boats - pretty simple.

I would look there first for any vandalism.

I didn't trace the speedo cables/harness because it's 90 degrees in my garage, I have to go to a neighborhood function in about 15 minutes, and I need a beer or two first.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...