Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Tab head-to-head test was yesterday.

I went out with some buddies (we all surf regular) to test both sets of tabs I made to see if one is better.

We filled all the bags (1100s rear, 400 center, 750 IBS, and a 400 on the floor in the pass through) and 150 lead in each locker, 50 under right rear seat, 150 on surf side rear floor, 170 under bow filler cushion. So just about 4k total. 3 guys at 210ish and 1 girl maybe 140.

The first set were the smaller of the 2. At 11.0 and wakeplate up, the wave was great, big with lots of push.
    2019 Supra SL450

Then we went back to the dock where I swapped out the starboard tab for the larger, black one. The pic shows the size difference between the two.
    2019 Supra SL450

We went back out and surfed the black tab, same weight and placement, just less gas. If I didn't tell you the tabs were different, you probably wouldn't know the difference. But the wave seemed a little bit larger, a little bit longer, and a little more push. It also seemed "harder" or firmer. It was kind of weird and took some getting used to.

The most surprising thing was how little downward angle the tabs had for the best wave. I measured the silver set just before swapping out, and it was only 5° down. I wasn't able to measure the black set, but the angle was similar.

Overall, I'm torn on which set I'm keeping. I like that the black set wave is a tiny bit better, but I also like how much smaller the silver set is. Decisions, decisions...
    Last edited by Shoebox; 09-20-2018 at 10:47 AM.
    2019 Supra SL450

Well, since you copied the GSA tab perfectly I think you have discovered why that system is quite remarkable. There is a TON of R+D behind those tabs, and they are for sure legit.

Granted, the improvement is marginal, because even your small tabs accomplish 95% of the key tenants of making a wave. But the GSA design puts a little frosting on top.

I admire those tabs a great deal. Those guys indeed made a great product. Enough to receive a patent despite aggressive Malibu patent protection. That’s saying something.

People often complain about the cost of GSA, but there is a difference. I had a set on my MB and was always impressed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No ones gonna go for the bigger, blacker joke? I’m kinda disappointed in y’all... lol
    Dude, those tabs are awesome, nice work. With the black tab, did you have to run the same deployment or less? Did you notice more roll since it displaced more water?
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    Well, since you copied the GSA tab perfectly I think you have discovered why that system is quite remarkable. There is a TON of R+D behind those tabs, and they are for sure legit.
    Honestly, they are not remarkable enough to justify the price tag. Like I said, if I didn't tell you there were different tabs there, I don't think you'd notice the difference.

If I were going to spend $4k on a system, I'd buy the Wakeland retrofit and have the dealer install it.
    Granted, the improvement is marginal, because even your small tabs accomplish 95% of the key tenants of making a wave. But the GSA design puts a little frosting on top.

I admire those tabs a great deal. Those guys indeed made a great product. Enough to receive a patent despite aggressive Malibu patent protection. That’s saying something.

People often complain about the cost of GSA, but there is a difference. I had a set on my MB and was always impressed!
    They are a quality product, just overpriced for me. Even if I bought the Wake Logic controller for the silver tabs, I'd be at maybe half the cost of the GSA kit.

I have $350 total in the black ones, and currently $60 in the silver ones.

Deciding which one I keep is going to be tough. Does the marginally better wave outweigh the benefits of the physically smaller tab? (less temptation for people to use it as a step, less leverage and force on the hinges and transom)
    Last edited by Shoebox; 09-20-2018 at 03:03 PM.
    2019 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by Broke Pilot View Post
    No ones gonna go for the bigger, blacker joke? I’m kinda disappointed in y’all... lol
    Dude, those tabs are awesome, nice work. With the black tab, did you have to run the same deployment or less? Did you notice more roll since it displaced more water?
    They were pretty close to the same deployment. I wasn't able to measure it because we were in the middle of the lake and I didn't want to drop my phone. Basically, the best wave was at the minimum deployment required to make a wave.

There was not a lot of roll with either one.
    2019 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    Honestly, they are not remarkable enough to justify the price tag. Like I said, if I didn't tell you there were different tabs there, I don't think you'd notice the difference.

If I were going to spend $4k on a system, I'd buy the Wakeland retrofit and have the dealer install it.
    They are a quality product, just overpriced for me. Even if I bought the Wake Logic controller for the silver tabs, I'd be at maybe half the cost of the GSA kit.

I have $350 total in the black ones, and currently $60 in the silver ones.

Deciding which one I keep is going to be tough. Does the marginally better wave outweigh the benefits of the physically smaller tab? (less temptation for people to use it as a step, less leverage and force on the hinges and transom)
    I think you missed my point just slightly, 99% of people don’t have the time or skills to fabricate their own. I would say the guy invented and has fielded a pretty sweet little system, and has sold a lot of them, whether not you think it’s worth it? You obviously thought it was worth it enough to photocopy a patented product, so there must be some degree of appreciation. You would not have known where to start if those didn’t exist.

And yes the channeling of flow on those tabs is remarkable. No one has ever done anything quite like that. And you yourself, with slightly less weight, noticed the effect of that little invention.

Never mind the controller, which is a beautiful little piece. Everyone thinks everything is overpriced these days, but it really has way more to do with the entire cost of going scratch to fielded system rather than the cost of some aluminum and fabrication time for a one off copy like yours. Much more complicated than that.

I have a great deal of admiration for Ryan and his system! I don’t think he is a guy out there getting rich off of it, either. But he has sold a lot of them.

Default Homemade surf tabs

Also “$350” and “$60” is quite misleading when you’ve spent hours researching planning and assembling these things. Yes?

Sorry for the rant, I just think that GSA is pretty cool and everyone ragging on it all the time because it costs money doesn’t make a lot of sense.

If you want the best, they are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    Also “$350” and “$60” is quite misleading when you’ve spent hours researching planning and assembling these things. Yes?

Sorry for the rant, I just think that GSA is pretty cool and everyone ragging on it all the time because it costs money doesn’t make a lot of sense.

If you want the best, they are the best.

Like I said, FOR ME, it's overpriced. Yes, it absolutely is a good system. Yes, I copied it because people like you raved about it, and I had the desire to do so. I have never built anything like that before, so if I can do it, anyone can. To make the smaller set, all anyone needs is a circular saw, a drill, a sander, and some metal.

I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about GSA other than how expensive it is. Obviously, the quality is top-notch, as is the controller. Honestly, I'd guess that most of the value is in the controller.
    2019 Supra SL450