Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Removing upholstery on engine cover

Hey,

So I have a Moomba Mobius LSV 2013. I really hate that all the access to the inside of the boat is over padding.... I can see it ripping very soon! Any way I would like to know if anyone has removed the upholstery on the engine cover and replaced it with gatorstep or SeaDek?

Thanks,

I’ve never heard of anyone doing that. It think it look like crap. That upholstery is just covering some ugly looking panels. It would like a couple doors with some really nice gatorstep on ‘em. In addition the foam padding and upholstery seal the area. I would think without it the engine noise would be quite loud.

I have an 08and haven’t had any issues with it. I don’t access the engine compartment but maybe a couple times per year.

If you pull the trigger, I’d be interested in some pics and a review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    I’ve never heard of anyone doing that. It think it look like crap. That upholstery is just covering some ugly looking panels. It would like a couple doors with some really nice gatorstep on ‘em. In addition the foam padding and upholstery seal the area. I would think without it the engine noise would be quite loud.

I have an 08and haven’t had any issues with it. I don’t access the engine compartment but maybe a couple times per year.

If you pull the trigger, I’d be interested in some pics and a review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You’re probably right... maybe I’ll scale it down a bit. Something more like the engine covers on the new Supra’s

I have thought about having a walkway built down the middle. Somehow you’d have to build up the walkway higher. I’d be interested in seeing any ideas.

The walkway sounds like a great mod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

I'm going to be putting Gator Step down on the engine cover as suggested in the OP. I just pulled off the vinyl and started on the foam last night. I contacted the local dealer about getting the factory transom walkthrough from a 2014 or 2015 LSV for my 2013. The dealer said it was available but would not work. I couldn't get much of a reason or detail as to why it won't.

2013 Mobius LSV
    -345 Surf-

Here is the engine cover with all the foam and vinyl removed. The material is a honeycomb aluminum panel made by Plascore. There's a notch on each side of the panel in the middle I need to figure out how to fill. I think the notch was placed to make room for the welting to wrap around without getting pinched. I think I'm also going to fill the big square hole for the latch somehow as well. Maybe just a piece of HDPE supported by some aluminum angles on the backside of the cover.

2013 Mobius LSV
    -345 Surf-

Seems like you could remove the cover. Then cut a piece of thin hdpe to the size of the step-through you want. Use that as a template to cut the foam in the right spot. Reattach the foam and cover, attach the hdpe where the foam was cut out, over the vinyl. Gatorstep over that. Done.
    2019 Supra SL450

I have considered this also on my 12 for the same reason....I hate having everyone that rides with us constantly clambering over the vinyl with boards etc. I would probably approach it like @Shoebox mentioned above. Try and keep the original vinyl intact and removed a center couple feet wide section of foam all the way from the front to back then rewrap the vinyl around the existing foam. In the new center flat section I would doe maybe 1/2 or 3/4" HDPE cut nicely to fit topped with seadeck etc. This wouold essentially look similar to the way the newer LSV's are made.

2012 Mobius LSV (Sold)
    2020 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by license to ill View Post
    I'm going to be putting Gator Step down on the engine cover as suggested in the OP. I just pulled off the vinyl and started on the foam last night. I contacted the local dealer about getting the factory transom walkthrough from a 2014 or 2015 LSV for my 2013. The dealer said it was available but would not work. I couldn't get much of a reason or detail as to why it won't.

I can't imagine why getting one for a 14 or 15 wouldn't work....Assuming you are getting the whole fiberglass panel, foam, and upholstery. It looks like they have a higher section molded in fiberglass in the center in which the seadeck material attaches. The hull I would almost guarantee is identical. and would allow you to simply install the entire new center section. I DEFINTELY would not go simply based on the dealer's comment that it won't fit. They are more often clueless other than what the computer tells them when they punch in a model number or year. I'm sure that's all they were going off of. The "computer" told the parts guy that panel is only for a 14-15 therefore he claimed it wouldn't fit.

2012 Mobius LSV (Sold)
    2020 Mojo

I am in Process of doing this to my 13 lsv. I removed old and took off vinyl, but my factory piece had gotten busted, So i went the Marine plywood route. Took (2) 3/4" thk. boards. Glued / screwed together for height. Glassed, Wrapped sides in Vinyl to match boat, and waiting on Gator step at moment, Once its done i can provide a picture