Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Question, where are you guys setting your bypass filters to? Factory had the m880s at 60hz, and the 770s at 80hz. I’m interested to hear what you guys set your filter on for the towers.

On tuning, I can’t audibly hear distortion until it’s really bad. JL amps have a specific tuning procedure using a voltmeter and a 1 kHz sample track. You can also use a distortion detecting tool. I’ve used both and the gains worked out to be set in the same exact spot. No distortion below 75 volume. The ice box put out NO distortion even at 100% volume. That’s according to a distortion detection tool. One weird thing is that over Bluetooth, I get distortion when setting the phone to full volume. No distortion of I back it off one click of volume from full.

SMD distortion tool...
    2022 Supra SL 400 ordered!
    2019 Supra SL 400 passed on for summer fun
    2018 Supra SL 400 Arrived and awesome!
    2014 Axis A20 - Sold to a great family
    1992 Supra Comp T6SM
    1999 Nautique Super Sport

I get distortion when setting the phone to full volume. No distortion of I back it off one click of volume from full.
    Phone volume on max absolutely kills the sound quality. The other thing is the phone internal EQ. We suggest the be set to off or flat, no custom settings like rock, jazz, etc. These are tuned for earbuds, not full range systems.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Phone volume on max absolutely kills the sound quality. The other thing is the phone internal EQ. We suggest the be set to off or flat, no custom settings like rock, jazz, etc. These are tuned for earbuds, not full range systems.
    I couldn't agree more. I can hear the distortion on my SL stereo when my phone volume is at max. I turn my phone down 3 clicks from the max, leave it there and control with boat stereo. I can run up to 100% without distortion with these settings. I will tell you that 4 JL 8.8" tower speakers, with the 2 10" subs, 4 8.8" cockpit speakers with 3 JL amps running it all is a huge improvement over the stereo that was in my 17 SA.
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Prospersigman View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I can hear the distortion on my SL stereo when my phone volume is at max. I turn my phone down 3 clicks from the max, leave it there and control with boat stereo. I can run up to 100% without distortion with these settings. I will tell you that 4 JL 8.8" tower speakers, with the 2 10" subs, 4 8.8" cockpit speakers with 3 JL amps running it all is a huge improvement over the stereo that was in my 17 SA.
    That setup SCREAMS. Do you anchor and play music often?

I'm curious how long your batteries are lasting powering all that equipment. I want to say mine came with two group 27 batts. I haven't found the time limit on even one battery....
    2022 Supra SL 400 ordered!
    2019 Supra SL 400 passed on for summer fun
    2018 Supra SL 400 Arrived and awesome!
    2014 Axis A20 - Sold to a great family
    1992 Supra Comp T6SM
    1999 Nautique Super Sport

We anchor and jam for 3-4 hours sometimes a little longer after surfing 1st thing in the morning. After I throw out the box anchor I switch the battery switch to battery 1 and have never had a problem. After we jam out and drink for a few hours I switch it back to 1+2 on the switch and head out for the earlier evening surf sesh.

Not sure I have found the limit either, but it lasts long enough for us and blows my buddies Nautique and Malibu system away so we typically jam my system.

The 8.8" cockpit speakers are amazing...I'll take 4 of those instead of the six 6.5" cabin speakers I had before.
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

Id suggest not finding the limit of both. Kind of defeats the purpose of having 2 banks.