Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Larry_arizona,

Spent some time messing with the amps and settings this weekend. I’m setup now similar to your settings you mentioned. It definitely gets loud now. I think it sounds better but I’m still not completely happy with it. My system from my wakesetter just seemed to sound much higher end to me. I expected a lot more out of a 10 year newer system in the SR.

Few questions:
    1. What are using as an input source? I’m playing off my iPhone and have tried BT, USB, and Aux. The latter seems to sound the best to me.
    2. Do you get a loud “thump” (or as my wife calls it “thunk”) when you start the boat through the speakers?
    3. If you turn the music off, can you hear white noise? We can clearly hear a loud white noise through the towers and the dash tweeters.
    4. What battery setting do you use (1, 2, 1+2]?

Now that I type this, I wonder if I have ground issue...

Kharb
    2018 Supra SR400

Default 2018 JL Audio system tuning WOW

1)IPhone X Bluetooth
    2)Yes I get the thunk at start up
    3)slight white noise
    4)battery 1 mostly sometimes 2

What sound system options do you have in the SR?

I think the SA has 2 more cockpit 6.5”’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 08-21-2018 at 06:33 AM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

You're correct. The SA has 2 additional 6.5" speakers, I believe by the driver's knee and opposite in the passenger seat. I have to give mine a little more on the zone control for front and rear (~40% vs your 10%). Otherwise, I think the SA and SR systems are pretty much same if you get the same upgrade package. I have the 1.2W package (sub and 2 JL towers). It was my dealer's demo so he selected everything (and gave me an offer I couldn't refuse after my Malibu sold). I thought I would've wanted the extra 2 towers but, after turning the gain (input sensitivity) up on the tower amp, I'm thinking they would've been way overkill.

Still want to solve the white noise issue. Off to research if I can do anything about it. Thank for the reply!
    2018 Supra SR400

Seems several 2018 owners get the “thunk” on start up. SR, SA, SL included

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    I had my SA in for the 20 hour service, only complaint was the JL system was slightly disappointing, Dealer said they would tune it.

It sounds incredible now!!!!! Something clearly was off from the factory.

Bass and clarity will rattle your teeth now with no distortion.

Hey Larry, any chance you could ask your dealer what they did for your system? Mine sounds pretty clear, no on/off thunk, thank goodness, but not much out of the sub. Would like to tune it some to wake it up before jumping right to replacing it. Thanks.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxMojo View Post
    Hey Larry, any chance you could ask your dealer what they did for your system? Mine sounds pretty clear, no on/off thunk, thank goodness, but not much out of the sub. Would like to tune it some to wake it up before jumping right to replacing it. Thanks.
    Will do, I will call tomorrow and report back

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

First thing, don’t crank your gains up indiscriminately! It’s not a volume knob! It’s to match the level for the ICE box.
    To properly tune the Supra’s by ear, set the EQ to flat, pull all the RCA’s (leave one set in at a time) and tune one set of speakers at a time. Each channel and set of speakers is going to be different. From what I’ve found, the ICE is only good to about 70 on the volume before it sends a distorted signal which is normal.
    I set mine to 65 max, then tuning one set of speakers at a time, turn the crossover all the way down (left) if in high pass mode. Then turn the gain up until you can hear it distort and then back it off a touch. Start adding the crossover back in, 6.5’s shouldn’t be getting anything lower than around 100-120hz signals IMO. Test the volume at 65 again for distortion.
    Do that for every pair of speakers, even the sub, but turn the crossover all the up (right) since you’re in low pass mode.
    That’s how to tune by ear.
    The Hissing at low volume I’m convinced is from the ICE box having a different ground. (Among it’s many other issues) if you can get under there and run a new ground wire to the amps or the battery the amps are powered off of will hopefully stop the hiss. Haven’t had time to run one on mine yet. Mine doesn’t have the on/off thunk, but moving the ground over should help stop that also. Generally that happens when the amps get the trigger signal to turn on before the head unit is ready.

Hope that helps. Tuning that way will let your speakers live a happy long life!
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Talked to dealer tech,

Slightly increased gain on sub and tower channels and simply used the preset rock or jazz equalizer settings. I had the bass and treble eq settings much higher and that was no Beuno.

This system exceeds my expectations now.
    LOVE IT.

I agree with BP, I cant physically take much more than 65 on the ICE. It hurts at that level.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

BrokePilot, thanks buddy. I am not a rookie to the stereo game, have tuned many boats, including my last with a full Exile install, but I do appreciate the heads up. Larry answered my question as I am new to this ICE system and all the settings and how it works. The stereo has been pretty dialed in by the dealers best guy as it was their boat show demo boat. Just wanting to make sure I get the best sound out of the sub as possible being that it is only a 10".
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

My sub THUMPS!!!!

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan