Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Reintroduction - Helix on its way to Colorado

Quick history on me... Bought a boat when I was 14, and used to pay the upper classmen to haul me to the lake... bought a Ski Nautique in college and got the wakeboard team started at the school (using concrete and homer buckets to get a good wake). Spent my summers as a dock daddy on TableRock Lake in Branson... my wife and I lived in Maui and had a small runabout... so boating has always been our first go-to activity.

We have been in Colorado now for 15 years now, have 3 little girls all under 10... and they all love the water! Spend most of our time on Powell, and then Wolford Reservoir (in Kremmling CO) in the middle of the summer when it is warm enough for the kiddos.

Anyway, we are hopefully coming out of a bad luck streak. I bought an Epic 23V in April 2017 with a brand new 8.1L Merc. Day one, hour one, and about 3 minutes off the trailer... the motor had a real bad lope in it, so I haul it back to Texas for warranty work. Motor is blown. We miss the entire boating season last year. In November, a bad storm hits Lake Powell and takes down our Houseboat. Long story short, the Epic is STILL in Texas... and the Houseboat (shared ownership) did not have a bound insurance policy. This has been a battle of patience, savings, and ultimately now legal, which is never fun.

RIP Epic:
    epic.jpg

RIP Houseboat:
    IMG_7752.jpg

On to better things, we just bought a 2017 Helix last week and are excited to get it going up here in the mountains. It ships tomorrow, and comes in this weekend... I fly back on Monday and we will have it on the water Tuesday! So here's to the next round of adventures... looked long and hard at every brand out there, but this used Helix was definitely the best option for us. Have 1100 bags on the way... a new 2079 prop... and need to do the warranty transfer through Indmar. Will document our experience along the way... and any advice is always appreciated!

Welcome to the forum and SC family! Great resources and info on here!
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

When and if you get ready to do some surfing, let me know and I'll give you some info on getting a great wave out of the Helix. I too have a 2017 Helix so it's been a process but I've finally got mine pretty dialed in wave wise.
    2017 Moomba Helix
    Flow 2.0
    AutoWake
    Surf Edition
    WM Rears 1200s
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    Fat Sac 400s (Midship compartments)
    LeadWake bags

Welcome to Moomba, where in CO are you? in the mountains? We have not had the boat on wolford, green mountain a few times, we own a place in silverthone, but live in Aurora. would love to get on the Helix with you when you get it. we are looking to upgrade from the 08 LSV, but the house rule for the boat is it has to store in the garage.
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

Quote Originally Posted by yearround View Post
    Welcome to Moomba, where in CO are you? in the mountains? We have not had the boat on wolford, green mountain a few times, we own a place in silverthone, but live in Aurora. would love to get on the Helix with you when you get it. we are looking to upgrade from the 08 LSV, but the house rule for the boat is it has to store in the garage.
    We live in Edwards, but will be at wolford Tuesday-Wed this week, then back up there next week and through Labor Day. Then boat is headed to Powell for the rest of the season/winter. Let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by LAwake View Post
    When and if you get ready to do some surfing, let me know and I'll give you some info on getting a great wave out of the Helix. I too have a 2017 Helix so it's been a process but I've finally got mine pretty dialed in wave wise.
    PM sent, thanks! Surfing/Wake foiling is 90% of our time, tubing the other 10%

Quote Originally Posted by jph3 View Post
    We live in Edwards, but will be at wolford Tuesday-Wed this week, then back up there next week and through Labor Day. Then boat is headed to Powell for the rest of the season/winter. Let me know!
    we will be up labor day weekend, do not know the plans yet, will try to coord and see this ride. will be LP mid september for a fall week of fun. sent PM.
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

Quick history on me... Bought a boat when I was 14, and used to pay the upper classmen to haul me to the lake... bought a Ski Nautique in college and got the wakeboard team started at the school (using concrete and homer buckets to get a good wake). Spent my summers as a dock daddy on TableRock Lake in Branson... my wife and I lived in Maui and had a small runabout... so boating has always been our first go-to activity.

We have been in Colorado now for 15 years now, have 3 little girls all under 10... and they all love the water! Spend most of our time on Powell, and then Wolford Reservoir (in Kremmling CO) in the middle of the summer when it is warm enough for the kiddos.

Anyway, we are hopefully coming out of a bad luck streak. I bought an Epic 23V in April 2017 with a brand new 8.1L Merc. Day one, hour one, and about 3 minutes off the trailer... the motor had a real bad lope in it, so I haul it back to Texas for warranty work. Motor is blown. We miss the entire boating season last year. In November, a bad storm hits Lake Powell and takes down our Houseboat. Long story short, the Epic is STILL in Texas... and the Houseboat (shared ownership) did not have a bound insurance policy. This has been a battle of patience, savings, and ultimately now legal, which is never fun.
    On to better things, we just bought a 2017 Helix last week and are excited to get it going up here in the mountains. It ships tomorrow, and comes in this weekend... I fly back on Monday and we will have it on the water Tuesday! So here's to the next round of adventures... looked long and hard at every brand out there, but this used Helix was definitely the best option for us. Have 1100 bags on the way... a new 2079 prop... and need to do the warranty transfer through Indmar. Will document our experience along the way... and any advice is always appreciated!
    I know what storm you're talking about in Powell last year, my buddies houseboat tipped over with the entire family on board. Just 2 days ago another CRAZY storm blew through with 60+ MPH winds and all hell broke loose it sounds like. I'm actually driving to Powell today to enjoy a week on the lake.
    Contrats on the new Helix, that is really my favorite boat out of the line up. The new bags with the added prop you will have zero trouble trying to surf that little monster.
    DFTR Josh
    Supra/Moomba
    www.marine-products.com (Discount Code: DFTR-1)

Quote Originally Posted by DFTR Josh View Post
    I know what storm you're talking about in Powell last year, my buddies houseboat tipped over with the entire family on board. Just 2 days ago another CRAZY storm blew through with 60+ MPH winds and all hell broke loose it sounds like. I'm actually driving to Powell today to enjoy a week on the lake.
    Contrats on the new Helix, that is really my favorite boat out of the line up. The new bags with the added prop you will have zero trouble trying to surf that little monster.
    Yeah it was a really bad storm - 4 65’+ houseboats went down just in G dock at Halls... hope you guys get all the good weather! Say hi to Nick for me from Romoboco if you see him.

Got the boat in the water yesterday and I’m THOROUGHLY impressed. I’ve surfed behind most boats and the G23 is my favorite in regard to ease of use and the wave is tall.

But I have to say, I took LaWakes recommendations on setup (still have stock bags) and the wave was a blast! Surfed 3 different boards, got my oldest up on her board... I can’t wait to get back out there. One more work trip this weekend and then I’m hitting the water for 10 days before the kids go back to school.

1BCACB7E-D76A-438C-858C-5F4A30AF26BC.jpg And yes, I have some Rev 10’s for sale

8A394CE3-DB2A-4D09-B360-40517ABC3A45.jpg
    Last edited by jph3; 08-23-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Yeah it was a bad, hope you guys get all the good weather! Say hi to Nick for me from Romoboco if you see him.
    Sounds like Nick is already there and I will be meeting them later today after a 6 hour drive. You have a shot of the boat on the water?
    DFTR Josh
    Supra/Moomba
    www.marine-products.com (Discount Code: DFTR-1)