Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Exhaust Modifications

Been looking at all the DIY setups for fresh air exhaust and decided to make the plunge.

Shout out to Trayson - I'm stealing your efforts, but with a couple twists of my own added to maybe allow me to call it my own?

More to come but I thought the group might like a teaser or two...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    2008 OBV
    325 EFI with closed cooling
    Gravity III with 750's in the rear, 400 stock floor, 750 IBS
    Servo valve ballast upgrade
    Wetsounds Rev10
    JL Amps, WS420BT

2000 Outback LS <-- Sold!!!
    310 Carb Direct Drive
    800# Rear Locker
    750# IBS (should have kept this for the OBV)
    Dual Batteries with 2 Bank Charger System
    Kenwood Head with Remotes
    Too many hours restoring exterior from prior negligence to count!

very interested........
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I think ABS melts at a pretty low temperature...
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

180* is the "recommend" high operation temperature by most manufacturers. It will never see that unless it is run out if the water on the trailer and it's ran to full temp. Lake water cools the down time as well, should be fine.

Several others have been building out of PVC which has a melting point of 140* and they seem to be fine.

If it melts, it melts. Will be replaced with similar shape stainless rolled and welded by me. Just trying to have some low cost fab fun on a short deadline.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    2008 OBV
    Wetsounds Rev10
    JL Amps, WS420BT

310 Carb Direct Drive
    800# Rear Locker

Perfect, I was thinking ABS was lower temp than PVC. I wish I had skills/tools to work SS like that, should be sweet.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Very interested in this. Any updates?
    '07 LSV
    340 EXT CAT SS
    Probably the only one in the UK
    [/SIGPIC]

ABS works fine. never had ANY problems with temp on it. In fact, I overheated my engine once after the door blew off the water pump and the inside of my exhaust flanges got melty and warped and the ABS on the outside of the flanges was perfect and never had any issues.

I'm intending on changing my downpipe to aluminum (that will be inserted into the threaded cleanout coupler) so I can bend it to an oval (like a wing) that's thinner (like 1.75" like the real FAE) instead of having a 3.5" PVC tube adding that bit of extra drag.

Having exhaust flange extensions (mine are made from SS pipe that was flared at an exhaust shop) is really important IMO because before I had the extensions mine had trouble always retaining the connection where the rubber coupler connected to the exhaust output flange lip.

I do like the big wood tube holders Aaerolland made. My support to the swim deck is made with angle aluminum and I've had 2 instances where the angle bracket I'm using to attach that to the swim deck brackets have actually broke. (it's a little L bracket that snapped, so it'll be easy to step up my bracket game).
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I suck when it comes to updates on stuff like this. Forgot that I hadn't uploaded anything since the 'teaser' photos... sorry!

It has been used now for a season and a half now and I have no complaints. I have lost 1 downtube and had to remake one. Seems to not like the threads in the cleanout tee, the first one unscrewed in the propwash, the second pulled the threads out and broke the male thread fitting. My third one was the shortest Z dimension of all of them (still works as supposed to). I don't think it enjoys crabbing sideways with the surf gate on, it definitely acts as a fixed rudder.

Surf Exhaust.jpg

This is an old picture, need to take a daylight one of the latest version of the downtube, glued via threads.
    2008 OBV
    Wetsounds Rev10
    JL Amps, WS420BT

310 Carb Direct Drive
    800# Rear Locker

So I have been thinking... walk me thru this.

What if you used flexible exhaust hose (same as factory) and inserted it through the hull/port and then extend the hose to drag into the wave? You could secure it internally with screws, flapper would be an issue I guess. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by jph3 View Post
    So I have been thinking... walk me thru this.

What if you used flexible exhaust hose (same as factory) and inserted it through the hull/port and then extend the hose to drag into the wave? You could secure it internally with screws, flapper would be an issue I guess. Any thoughts?
    are you talking about having exhaust hose go thorugh the hull and then downturn into the water under the boat? I.E making the FAE out of exhaust hose rather than PVC?

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but keep in mind that the reason why you have exhaust flanges is so that it functions as a big through-hull and doesn't allow water to get into the hull. I think that sealing flexible exhaust hose so that water didn't penetrate the hull would be a challenge.

Second, the reason why the FAE joins and has a downpipe in the center is to make it so that the exhaust that's output under water is in the prop wash and doesn't mess up your wave or prevent excess drag.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com