Default Torsion axle failure and replacement on my 2008 boatmate trailer

Well, it happened. One of my torsion axles failed. Not surprising as 2008 is right in the range of years where Dexter got a bad batch of rubber.

I noticed it because unloaded the wheel was an inch of the ground.

It had no real load bearing ability or rebound on that one side of the front axle. I tried taking off the fender and locking out the brakes. I eventually just limped the trailer with 3 wheels on it the 10 miles to and from the launch. At least I have a tandem and put higher load range D tires on it.

So I for the warranty form from Dexter UFP.
    Have them info on the trailer and off the axle tags.

Sent it in asking for 2 new replacement axles on Monday July 16th. They shipped it on July 25th from CA, and I had the axles on my doorstep on July 30th. (They paid shopping too, and the axles are 90 pounds each)

The next challenge will be getting the trailing arms off. I tried once and was able to removed the pinch bolt and drove a wedge in the gap. But they arm wouldn't budge from the splined end. I'll update my progress on that as it develops.

Last night I painted the axles with herculiner bedliner.
    I also have new trailer bunks and carpet ready to go in.

Tonight I'll be dropping the boat in a friend's slip (in exchange for a bottle of vodka). Once the boat's of the trailer, we'll get to work with removal of the old axles.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

You did say you got the bolt completely out, right?

I'd soak those babies in some PB Blaster or Kroil Oil and prepare to use the biggest hammer you got!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    You did say you got the bolt completely out, right?

I'd soak those babies in some PB Blaster or Kroil Oil and prepare to use the biggest hammer you got!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I was able to get that bolt off using a 30" prybar with a pipe on the end of it. And I drove a chisel as a wedge in that gap. But yeah, I've been giving it a couple doses of PB Blaster and will be ready with the air hammer, the deadblow, and a torch if necessary.

Dexter sent me new hardware for the pinch bolt on the trailing arm to spline connection, so that's nice.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I changed one on 08 and it wasn’t that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After work today, I went home and hitched up and launched the boat. Drove it across the river to the Marina where my buddy lives. He hooked me up with a slip to use while I did my trailer work. Pretty stoked about that. It's made all the difference having the boat off the trailer.

As far as trailing arm removal, knowing the "trick" makes ALL the difference. We pounded a thicker wedge (end of a prybar) into the gap of the trailing arm and then put the air chisel on the back of the arm and let it pound away. The arm was off in about a minute! It took a lot of trial and error to get to that point. But even with us running in circles at the beginning, we had one axle swapped out in under 90 minutes! We had to quit at 9pm because we didn't wanna be jerks to my neighbor with air tools.

Axles painted with Herculiner bedliner.

textured bedliner finish. I'm cool with that.

My boat is black and blue, so black axles on a blue trailer are fine.

feels damn good to have one new axle on!
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by lakelife101 View Post
    I changed one on 08 and it wasn’t that bad.
    Once I knew what I was doing, I'd agree. Although a decade of corrosion didn't help.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Gonna do the brake pads while its all apart?
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    Gonna do the brake pads while its all apart?
    My goal is to get it back to normal status ASAP. Having boat downtime at the beginning of August was NOT in my summer plan. I can do brakes anytime, and with the boat on the trailer. I'm focusing on doing the things needed to get the boat/trailer back in service so I can get back to summertime playtime.

I've been able to keep the assembly of the trailing arm/hubs/rotors/calipers all in tact so all that will be necessary is a flush/bleed of the brakes. (i.e. when I took the trailing arms off, I was able to do it leaving the hubs/brakes on the arm. so when I slipped the arm back on, all that was necessary was to reconnect the brake line because it goes through the mounting plate of the axle)

I will however be replacing the trailer bunks. New boards, carpet, and SS hardware for that!
    www.TraysonsToybox.com