Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Issue with 2018 Craz

Today some guy brought a 2018 Craz to my neighbors house.

All day long he kept trying to back it into this guys driveway, but couldn't get the boat over a real small grade.

I'm talking a bump that is no more than a foot above a level surface.

Every time he backed into the driveway, and hit this small grade his brakes would lock up.

The trailer actually had a round 7 pin connector on it. He said it came this way from the dealer.

He just bought this boat from the Orlando dealer. Didn't even come with pvc guide pole rollers or pads.

Any idea of what his problem was?
    2003 Outback Sold (went to Oklahoma)

2009 Outback V Sold (stayed in Florida)

Something is triggering the reverse solenoid. Without the solenoid active, you can’t back up.

The solenoid is triggered by the trucks reverse lights, it’s the center pin.

Possibly.....
    1) truck or trailer ground is bad
    2) solenoid is bad

Boatmate trailers come with a key that you insert on the side of the tongue that will allow you to back up your if your reverse solenoid is acting up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 07-14-2018 at 04:40 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I saw that key (about 3" long) and it was installed.

I'm just surprised that this dude spends $60 grand on a boat and can't get it into a driveway. He really didn't know much at all about his boat. I'm just shocked the Orlando dealer let this guy go without a thorough check up and an owner orientation.

He brought it to my neighbor so they could install tower speakers. They ended up parking it in the street

What a shame to treat a new Moomba like this.

It’s probably his trucks reverse light pin.

Odds are it’s not the trailer. But that is how surge brakes are designed to work.

http://www.boatmateparts.com/faqs.php

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Geary View Post
    I saw that key (about 3" long) and it was installed.

I'm just surprised that this dude spends $60 grand on a boat and can't get it into a driveway. He really didn't know much at all about his boat. I'm just shocked the Orlando dealer let this guy go without a thorough check up and an owner orientation.

He brought it to my neighbor so they could install tower speakers. They ended up parking it in the street

What a shame to treat a new Moomba like this.
    The key you are describing sounds like the key to lock the trailer onto the ball. The key to lock out the brakes from working looks like this

David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Did the backup lights work on the trailer? Let us know what the fix is.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

When i brought my new boat home I had the same problem, despite my thorough understanding of how it worked. A few things:

The reverse lockout solenoid works to DISENGAGE the brakes and block them from working when in reverse, note ENGAGE them as described above... Your truck has to be wired for a reverse light signal. Most modern trucks with a factory 7 pin round connector are ready to go, but if you're towing with something older, all bets are off.

Without buying the option on the trailer for the 7 pin, the trailer comes with a 5 pin flat connector which is rarely (or never) found on the truck, so you'll need an adapter.

The key they're describing is a manual override for this electronic function. It's in your trailer manual.

Last, my issue was that everything on my truck was working fine, trailer brake lights worked fine, but the reverse lockout solenoid never did it's job. I found a bad ground connection on the solenoid body itself. under the tongue of the trailer, near where the brake line hooks to the solenoid and actuator. Since these trailers are powder coated, electrical grounds can be tough. Once I tightened this connection, zero problems - except for when I forget to plug the lights back in to roll into the garage... But that's user error!
    2018 Moomba Craz | Autowake 2.0, Zero-Off, G6 Pumps | Captain Blue/Dark Graphite/Silver Flake | Enzos + Lead

In my case it was just a fuse.
    2016 Craz

always keep nickels in your rig. they do the same thing as the trailer backup key that will get lost at some point.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Guys boat did come with a round 7-pin connector on a coiled cord. I asked him if it came like that from the dealer, he said yes. I have no idea if he got it straightened out - I probably will never see him again. I was just curious why a brand new boat had the issues it did.