Default Well Water Treatment

Due to excessive rainfall over an extended period of weeks, surface water runoff eventually found its way into the well on which we rely for household water (cooking, drinking, showers, laundry, etc.).

Well has a concrete casing with inside diameter of 30 inches and total depth of 45 feet. Water depth is 34 feet.

To restore water quality, Wednesday of this week I poured the required amount of sodium hypochlorite into the well, recirculated through the system, and then let it sit for 4 hours.

Assuming we consume the average amount of water per day for a two-person household, the sodium hypochlorite should be diluted to zero by Thursday of this coming week.

While waiting for the water to return to normal, we use bottled water where necessary.

This is the first time dealing with a water quality issue since moving into this rural setting from suburbia in January of 2014.

For any of you guys who have experience with this sort of thing, is there something I may be overlooking in restoring water quality? Any tips or words of caution?

Thanks.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Chlorinating your well will fix it. Anytime your well is serviced it should be chlorinated.

Did ground water submerge your well cap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Chlorinating your well will fix it. Anytime your well is serviced it should be chlorinated.

Did ground water submerge your well cap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Cap is twelve inches above ground.

Most likely ground water pushed its way into the well through a seam.

Plan is to create a diversion that directs surface water away from the well.

Well is located in an area that is NOT the highest point in the yard.

Longer term plan is to have the well inspected and, if necessary, re grouted.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

If you are unsure about the sanitation of your water, you can always have a lab test it. They can be difficult to find sometimes, but talk to a local water softening company, well driller, or a plumber. They could probably help point you in the right direction. Also, know that just because you chlorinate it doesn't mean you killed off all bacteria. I have had friends who had to chlorinate wells multiple times before passing allowable bacteria levels required for home inspections.

One more word of wisdom based on experience. Running chlorine through your house fixtures will eat them up. If you have a water softener, turn the bypass valve and flush the crap out of you system until you cannot smell the chlorine anymore. When I chlorinate my well I have to flush for 5 hours or more. I do not run the water through the house. I have the ability to isolate it and just flush by garden hoses outside the house.

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    6 Pump Ballast, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Digital Cruise Pro 3 (paddle wheel)
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

2005 Supra Launch 22SSV - Sold

I would bet your county will come out and test your water for $20-$30 for ecoli and coliform.

Could install a UV filter on your mainline too.
    2013 Mojo