Page 29 of 56 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: New for 2019

There is always a consequence to exceeding a boats max payload. Premature engine and drivetrain life.

No different that exceeding a trucks tow capacity, will it pull overloaded? Sure, but for how long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by goose View Post
    That makes sense and we know that and expect it. Maybe thats another value to the amplitude bar. I've always thought of it as a way to set expectations on wave or wake size. But it can also set expectations on how much load you will have on your specific engine and prop. As you said, all boats eventually have a max displacement that the engine can push. With amplitude bar it makes that visible before you attempt to accelerate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Love it. This amplitude bar measures hull draft—basically—yes? Excellent idea. I could learn the limit and know before working the piss out of the motor in vain.

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    There is always a consequence to exceeding a boats max payload. Premature engine and drivetrain life.

No different that exceeding a trucks tow capacity, will it pull overloaded? Sure, but for how long.

Probably not apples to apples on this comparison.

I think before you start wrecking mechanicals, the boat simply will not get to speed. I don’t think you’re going to grenade a motor or tranny running overloaded. It simply won’t pull it.....?

I am sure you will disagree with me, as per forum dynamics, but I have not heard of premature driveline failure in a surf boat due to heavy loads.

Maybe someone has.

Max capacity ratings are not correlated with driveline wear limits as far as I know. They’re correlated with the hull’s ability to float the weight safely, no?

If the former were true, the 575 boats would have higher ratings than the 400 boats.

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    Really no place to write this post, but I just spent some time on an SL 550 in 11 feet of water with about 1200 pounds of passenger weight and 1000 pounds of lead.

Ummmmmmmm....YEAH. Holy balls. Incredible!

I truly wonder if a 450 could move that load. Simply because there are more 450s available out there than 550s at a nice price.

Let’s see pics of that ride! How fast? R U sold on the SL now?
    I’m waiting on the 19 SL, a closeout one The problem is, if they are that good there won’t be any

Quote Originally Posted by Mgigs7 View Post
    Let’s see pics of that ride! How fast? R U sold on the SL now?
    I’m waiting on the 19 SL, a closeout one The problem is, if they are that good there won’t be any

I didn’t take pics, unfortunately, but do I have expensive taste coming from the big mama pump SE.

I was impressed. ESPECIALLY in 11’ of water. Something I would typically avoid!

11.4 I think. Autowake ON. Pitch at 8.5 degrees and roll at 4 degrees, amplitude 100. People moving everywhere, pumps running all directions....just sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
    Your dealer is brave to hand out all that info!!! With that said, I hope its true.
    I truly hope that the dealer gave me this info because I was talking about trading in and I also hope that this info is not that secret ... I wasn’t told that but neither do I want the dealer get into trouble as this isn’t my intent.
    2018 Supra SL400
    2017 Malibu 23LSV
    2011 Epic 23V
    2007 Epic 23V

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_butt View Post
    I truly hope that the dealer gave me this info because I was talking about trading in and I also hope that this info is not that secret ... I wasn’t told that but neither do I want the dealer get into trouble as this isn’t my intent.
    The cats are out of the bag anyway—all over the place. So so exciting!

Default New for 2019

I cant comment on anything Supra at this time, but i can tell you the moomba sensors are NOT on the bag or tank. They are standalone sensors that measure the water level regardless what bag you use. So as long as you get a bag that has the correct fittings, you can add a bag and it will turn off when full. I will try and elaborate more later but this is an industry first and should fix a problem the entire industry has been facing of inaccurate ballast timers, gauges, etc. AND we are working with wakemakers so they can make custom bags with correct fittings that will hopefully be available later this year.
    Well I guess you did spill the beans ... the tube/sensor will have a wireless connection ... which is where a lot of things are going if they aren’t truly required to be failsafe ...

Well on 2nd thought maybe not ... you’re running the sensor between bag and pump so if sensor indicates that bag is full then pump stops ... whatever you put in between the reversible pump as a switch will do ... same concept as you have on the touch screen and the manual switches ... in an home you would call it a 3way switch I guess ...
    Last edited by monkey_butt; 07-22-2018 at 10:53 PM.
    2018 Supra SL400
    2017 Malibu 23LSV
    2011 Epic 23V
    2007 Epic 23V

This is for goose:

Regarding full bag sensors. With the 2018 auto wake equipped boat the computer doesn’t really care how much ballast is in each bag, is this right? It will continue to pump in or pump out in the appropriate spots in order to satisfy its sensors I assume. In other words when a ballast bag that is on timers reaches “100%“ does auto wake stop trying to fill that bag?

Fast forward to 2019 and bags with sensors. I would think this offers an advantage from the standpoint that once the bag is ful—auto awake will stop trying to fill it; and if it’s sensors are not satisfied yet at that point, it will tell you to move people. Because no ballast is available to affect running attitude.

What does the 2018 boat do in this scenario? What if you had your ballast timer set super long? Would it just pump water overboard trying to fill a bag that is already full in order to satisfy a sensor?

That makes sense and we know that and expect it. Maybe thats another value to the amplitude bar. I've always thought of it as a way to set expectations on wave or wake size. But it can also set expectations on how much load you will have on your specific engine and prop. As you said, all boats eventually have a max displacement that the engine can push. With amplitude bar it makes that visible before you attempt to accelerate.
    Except that prop is the one thing you can’t control ... I’m the perfect example for that. Ordered the SL400with the 2277 prop because it worked well in my 2017 Malibu 23LSV ... except that the SL has a 1.5:1 tranny and not the 1.76 ... call me stupid because I was ...

So you would need to know pretty much every prop combination and test it to tell if the boat can do it or not ...

I learned the lesson quickly as nothing was happening when loaded up so got a different prop ... and it runs fine since. But with 5 people, 4 dogs and the additional 800 lbs of ballast the engine is running at 3800 to 4000 to push the weight ... and the wave is marginally better ... snot like your getting another 10 feet to play ... maybe 1 or 2 ...

As said before by others ... there’s only so much the boat can displace effectively regardless of engine ... except you consider a submarine a great surfboat
    2018 Supra SL400
    2017 Malibu 23LSV
    2011 Epic 23V
    2007 Epic 23V