Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: New for 2019

Default New for 2019

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    I have only ever heard that. I am not a boat shaft angle engineer as a disclaimer 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As a former driveline engineer, I can tell you that that is bullshit. The driveline angles do not change when you change gear ratios. The only thing that changes is the number of teeth on the drive and pinion gears.

2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    As a former driveline engineer, I can tell you that that is bullshit. The driveline angles do not change when you change gear ratios. The only thing that changes is the number of teeth on the drive and pinion gears.

That's what I was thinking though I'm no engineer. It's just a gear box not a trans as we're familiar with.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Default New for 2019

But....

I think it’s more about the size of prop that you would then use with said gear ratio.

I think we all know and realize that the angle would not be correlated with any internal gear ratio.

But if you reduce the ratio, you’re gonna want to take advantage of its benefits by ramping up the prop diameter, and that has challenges when it comes to a thrust vector and a forward moving boat coupled with adequate hull clearance.

Again, all heresay. But I like the belligerent BS call! Makes others feel good. 🤣

Default New for 2019

But....

I think it’s more about the size of prop that you would then use with said gear ratio.

I think we all know and realize that the angle would not be correlated with any internal gear ratio.

But if you reduce the ratio, you’re gonna want to take advantage of its benefits by ramping up the prop diameter, and that has challenges when it comes to a thrust vector and a forward moving boat coupled with adequate hull clearance.

Again, all heresay. But I like the belligerent BS call! Makes others feel good. 🤣

Yes. With Mastercraft now running a 20” prop on the X-star, then that requires a steeper Driveline angle to for more hull clearance, unless they change the hull design instead.

The other thing is that with lower ratios and bigger props with more pitch (as a consequence) the torque on the Propshafts has seen a major jump, with boats moving towards a 1-1/4” shaft instead of the regular 1-1/8” shaft. This increase in diameter although not trivial, is also questionable whether it is sufficient as there are numerous reports of people shearing the shaft right off with these higher ratio setups.

Last edited by Stazi; 08-01-2018 at 11:18 AM.
    2017 Moomba Craz

Yes. With Mastercraft now running a 20” prop on the X-star, then that requires a steeper Driveline angle to for more hull clearance, unless they change the hull design instead.

Exactly what I was alluding to. I don’t think the Supra clan is good to go with more angle....yet.

Heresay. Nothing more with regard to credibility.

The other thing is that with lower ratios and bigger props with more pitch (as a consequence) the torque on the Propshafts has seen a major jump, with boats moving towards a 1-1/4” shaft instead of the regular 1-1/8” shaft. This increase in diameter although not trivial, is also questionable whether it is sufficient as there are numerous reports of people shearing the shaft right off with these higher ratio setups.

Also a worthy consideration!

I will say this, a recent adventure on an RZX3 with 2:1 was nice. 440 with 17” prop and 2:1 ran very well.

[QUOTE=Stazi;330090] there are numerous reports of people shearing the shaft right off with these higher ratio setups.

Just hop over to Planet Nautique if you want to read about props shearing clean off of G23s...
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    I know what they're saying. First, how are you going to verify that it's 10° cooler? Second, I can guarantee that that dark gray "Cool Tech" vinyl is still going to be hot, and way hotter than light gray "Cool Tech" vinyl.

The basic point being, I don't care what you call it, dark gray (or any dark color) vinyl is going to be damned hot in the sun. A little cooler than the exact same shade old school vinyl? Sure. A little cooler than scorching is still scorching.
    Guess there's no convincing you...

Pretty sure they have “thermometers.”
    No they don't! LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by korey View Post
    I don't know how it works, but I sat in an all black Mastercraft with their version of this 2 days ago on a fully sunny 89 degree day and it was cooler than the lava-infused dove grey in my boat!

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Even if it’s cooler than white vinyl, I am not feeling the look of dark interiors in a boat.

Dark accents look better on lighter interiors.

FTR, the max coverage Bimini pretty much shades the entire seating area from behind windshield, so there is always a shaded option
    No offense to your boat, but I've said it before, I don't like Poop colored interiors, so dark blacks and grays are legit! And blue/black metalflake exterior with blue/black/slate interior is gonna look amazeballs. My Audi is black on black and I love it. Nothing wrong with a murdered out interior if it can not burn ya!
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Guess there's no convincing you...

No they don't! LMAO

No offense to your boat, but I've said it before, I don't like Poop colored interiors, so dark blacks and grays are legit! And blue/black metalflake exterior with blue/black/slate interior is gonna look amazeballs. My Audi is black on black and I love it. Nothing wrong with a murdered out interior if it can not burn ya!
    No offense taken

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

for those hoping for the 1.76:1 or 2:1 tranny … be careful what you wish for … last year with the Malibu 23LSV I had the 400 raptor/1.76:1 combination and the 2279 prop … well I ordered the same prop for my SL not knowing that it would have a different ratio. Boat didn't plane as soon as half of the ballast was filled …

So obviously a mistake and went to the 2775 (wake prop) which works great. But what is equally important is the RPM … now I'm running at 3400 - 3500 when surfing at 11.2. With the Malibu I ran at 3700 - 3800 and with more than 4 people more in the ball park of 4000 … anything above 3500 will make the raptor considerably louder …

One more thing I heard this year from multiple people on the lake … they can't believe how quiet the boat is - you can't hear it … nobody told me that last year and both boats were equipped with the fresh air exhaust …

So different tranny = higher RPM = more noise and if you really want to know how much … here you can get a taste … themalibucrew forum discussing 2019 changes there - and read the comments below that video …
    http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.p...anges/&page=30
    2018 Supra SL400
    2017 Malibu 23LSV
    2011 Epic 23V
    2007 Epic 23V