Default Tachometer doesn't work correctly on 2004 LSV

I have a 2004 LSV lately my Tachometer does not read correctly it stays at around 800~1000 rpm or so all the time, and once a while it will flip to max or normal. I have went to a shop they said i need to order a new Tachometer and sensor is that correct? and where can I oder these things. And other problem is that the LSV is not in USA anymore i have shipped it overseas. Please help guys

Before you order a new one check the wiring and make sure you don't have any loose wires that could be causing the problem.

Brian Raymond Guest

On the backside of the tach, there are 8 mini switches. These are used to tell the tach what type of motor it is running (4,6,8, cyl). Be sure these switches are in order. For the 8 cyl. application, The #2 switch should be in the up position, and all other switches in the down position. Also check and make sure the wire connections are tight while your back there. Verify you have a good connection at the engine harness. If all is good, a tach replacement may be in your future. Contact a dealer, and get a (part #104699) tach. Hope this helps, keep us posted. Brian Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Raymond
    On the backside of the tach, there are 8 mini switches. These are used to tell the tach what type of motor it is running (4,6,8, cyl). Be sure these switches are in order. For the 8 cyl. application, The #2 switch should be in the up position, and all other switches in the down position. Also check and make sure the wire connections are tight while your back there. Verify you have a good connection at the engine harness. If all is good, a tach replacement may be in your future. Contact a dealer, and get a (part #104699) tach. Hope this helps, keep us posted. Brian Raymond
    I havent touch the tach at all, I will double check the wiring. Is a new sensor needed?

Brian Raymond Guest

There is no sensor on the tach, it receives its signal from the coil. I would venture to say, that, if the connections are clean and tight, the switches in the proper positions, you may need a new tach. If it was a coil breaking down, or giving a varied signal, you would definately hear and feel it with poor motor performance. Brian Raymond

Lots of stuff I never touch gets moved, lost, or broken - I'd check the switches.

I think i have to order a new tach. and how do i order the tach or more like where? and whats the price range be?

and i want to order replacement navigation light thats on top of the tower since it snapped, and the front navigation light fell in the water so i need that too.

where and how do i order these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Raymond
    I have just checked the tach it does not have any switches on it? I guess its a different model and i guess i have to order a new one. Can some one please guide me where to buy this tach? cheaper place if possible?

Brian gave you the part number. Contact a dealer in your area and tell them you need one. They are not terribly expensive.

-J