Thread: Taking in Water

Default Taking in Water

Hello all,

I am new to the forum. I have owned my 1999 moomba outback for 3 years now. I put it in the water for the first time this season today. After I launched and parked the trailer I came back and saw that the bilge was running. I opened up the engine compartment and it was full of water. I ended up just taking it right back out of the water. My drain plug was in. I know that it is impossible to know exactly where the water is coming in without seeing the boat, but can anyone point me in the right direction on where/what to check first? Thanks in advance!!!

I would check the packing around the shaft seal going through the hull. Those should be checked each year to make sure you have a drip at certain intervals to cool the shaft. My 05 Supra was one every 8 seconds. I bought it used and had the same issue the first time I put it in the water. Once I tightened the packing nut, problem solved. The packing nut may just need tightened, or the packing may need replaced due to the age of your boat. Don't over tighten it, or you won't be cooling the shaft and can cause other problems. I would leave my boat on the trailer at the start of each season, back it into the water, and make small adjustments until I had the correct drip.

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    6 Pump Ballast, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Digital Cruise Pro 3 (paddle wheel)
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

2005 Supra Launch 22SSV - Sold

1. shaft packing
    2. ballast pump fitting at bottom of tanks if you have them
    3. exhaust thru hull fitting
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Also check paddlewheel through hull and rudder.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

Put the boat in the water and turn the bilge pump on. Start looking around for leaks. Look at the places mentioned already. That much water will not be hard to spot. Also make sure your water jacket drain plugs are in if it was winterized that way. If it was not winterized properly then it could be a freeze seal popped out. In that case it will be coming out from around the cast iron exhaust manifold or right below the manifold from the block. Look at all hoses. An alternative to putting in the water would be to fill the bilge with a water hose and inspect for leaks under the boat. If that is inconclusive then you will have to thoroughly inspect all suspect places and hoses, or put it in the water and then find where it comes from.

If you fill the bilge with water to check for leaks it is a good time to add a little dish soap. May as well give your bilge a little cleaning if you are wasting water anyway. Pump out onto the lawn to use the water twice.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Who winterized and/or summerized (is that a word?) the engine? I have forgotten to tighten a hose clamp and had a brief but scary overheating and leaky bilge before.
    2013 Mojo

99% that it is the packing. First run of the season is when it happens. Replace with an upgraded cord from the wax cord crap. It will last you a couple of decades. You will need to take the engine cover off, remove the rear panels and then remove the floor. Tightening the gland but may fix it but since you have so much removed it is better to replace the cord.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD