Default '05 xlv running rough and no power

Here's the problem:

Boat sat under canopy since labor day. Fire it up before heading out and it is a little slow to start but fires up and idles a little spuratic but nothing out of the ordinary so we head out. We make a few passes in the water and all seems fine until we sit for a few minutes while switching riders. When we turn the boat back on it is running rough and has no power at all. When turning the key to engage the fuel pump you hear it turn on but it sounds like it is surging from not getting enough fuel, we put in 15 gallons before heading out. There is a major vibration while the motor is running and the exhaust note has completely changed. It sounds like the exhaust is packed up but that doesn't explain the motor running fine for the first 30 min. or so.

340hp FI
    175hrs

Thanks for the help

I am guessing you may have gotten some water in the gas. If it sat for a long time and you were able to fit 15 gallons in then maybe there was some condensation. I would change the water separator and filter if you haven't done it before. If you do, dump the contents of the separator into a glass jar and see if you can see any water. My EFI engine seems to be very sensitive to water - especially the 10% methanol blends they use in the Northeast in the summertime. I figure it is worth a shot. It's only about 10 bucks worth of parts.

Quick update: I pulled the fuel filter and the there seems to be no flow problems as when I covered the outlet side and filled the inlet side with gas it flowed through with no restriction, I am still going to replace it.

I can't find the water seperator!!!! The fuel line comes out of the tank and goes through the fuel filter which is mounted on the left side when facing the engine and then directly into the fuel pump. Here are some pics:

Hopefully I am just missing it and someone can point me in the right direction.

I also pulled all of the plugs and they all look the same, some carbon and a light greyish brown but none are different so this leads me to believe all cylinders are firing the same. I am going to get some Sta-Bil for the tank but hopefully I can find the water seperator in the boat!!!

Brian Raymond Guest

There is not a water/fuel separator on the boats. It sounds like the fuel filter may be the bandit here. First, make sure there are no kinks in the fuel feed line or return line from the tank to the pump, and all the clamps are tight. There is a Wix part # on the side of the filter, which can be cross referenced to other brands at a local parts store. I would start here, and top the tank off with fresh fuel. Keep us posted. Brian Raymond

Did they get rid of the separator on later boats? My 2000 MPI motor has one. It looks like an oil filter.

O.K. Now what??? I put Sta-Bil in the tank and replace the fuel filter. I start the boat and it is running a little rough but no where's near as bad as yesterday so I think I fixed it. That is until about 10 min. of idling and then all of a sudden it coughs a little and I see the water coming out the exhaust go from nice and clear to an off white color and the boat starts running really rough. I jump in the boat and check all gauges, they are normal, and I shut it off. The smell of gas is really strong so I check the water coming out the ex. and sure enough, it is loaded with unburnt fuel. Spark plugs, wires, distributor cap???? I guess that is what I change next.

I pull the plugs and plug #2 & 3 are full of gas. These are the 2nd plugs back from the back of the boat on each side of the motor. Plugs 5 & 8 are pretty wet with gas but it doesn't pour out of the plug hole like the others. These are the plugs three holes in from the back on each side of the motor. I am now going to pull the cap.

So for some reason after the motor runs & warms up these plugs are not firing!!!!????

Is it normal for a cap to have this white corrosion on all of the posts?? No wonder it stops firing!!! What causes this??