Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Boating Etiquette

Lots of people going the wrong direction yesterday. Again, just need to be defensive and get away from the idiots.

It amazes me how many people go full bore in the clockwise rotation (Michigan is counterclockwise)on inland lakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by jcarter20 View Post
    It kills me when I see a brand new $100k boat with no boards on it and a huge ass tube strapped behind. Those are the dipsh*ts who have now driven up the cost of our wake boats to be completely unreasonable.
    keeping in mind the more boats Skiers Choice sells the better volume pricing they are able to offer since they are in a better position buying all the pieces/parts that go into a boat. if they were only building 10 boats a year, imagine the cost of hand laid fiberglas vs the molds they use since they are building more boats for tube pullers.
    we had a few days on the lake that it didn't make sense to surf and was just easier to join the masses with a tube. still a fun day on the water and wait for calmer days to surf rather than getting upset.

but back to the op, there is a general lack of respect for others on the waters anymore and with boat sales ticking up year after year it isn't going to get better.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

[QUOTE=sandm;327815]keeping in mind the more boats Skiers Choice sells the better volume pricing they are able to offer since they are in a better position buying all the pieces/parts that go into a boat. if they were only building 10 boats a year, imagine the cost of hand laid fiberglas vs the molds they use since they are building more boats for tube pullers.
    QUOTE]

Bottom line is the supply and demand. The economy is good, people are spending money, and why wouldn't the boating industry increase prices if the market will bear it. In 2008 a new Supra 22 SSV was roughly $56,000. The starting MSRP of a new 2018 SA 400 is $121,500, which is a 117% increase. I realize that is comparing apples and oranges, because of the vast advances in wakeboats in the last 10 years. However, even taking into account inflation and all the fancy add-ons there is no way the cost of boat should have increased that much. I would have loved to own my second Supra, but couldn't bring myself to spend the extra $25k-$30k. It just sucks for people who are die hard wakeboarders or surfers like myself, and you can't afford a new boat until your too old to do it anymore. Not that I am there yet, but 40 is rapidly approaching for this guy!

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    6 Pump Ballast, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Digital Cruise Pro 3 (paddle wheel)
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

2005 Supra Launch 22SSV - Sold

[QUOTE=jcarter20;327840]
    Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    keeping in mind the more boats Skiers Choice sells the better volume pricing they are able to offer since they are in a better position buying all the pieces/parts that go into a boat. if they were only building 10 boats a year, imagine the cost of hand laid fiberglas vs the molds they use since they are building more boats for tube pullers.
    QUOTE]

Bottom line is the supply and demand. The economy is good, people are spending money, and why wouldn't the boating industry increase prices if the market will bear it. In 2008 a new Supra 22 SSV was roughly $56,000. The starting MSRP of a new 2018 SA 400 is $121,500, which is a 117% increase. I realize that is comparing apples and oranges, because of the vast advances in wakeboats in the last 10 years. However, even taking into account inflation and all the fancy add-ons there is no way the cost of boat should have increased that much. I would have loved to own my second Supra, but couldn't bring myself to spend the extra $25k-$30k. It just sucks for people who are die hard wakeboarders or surfers like myself, and you can't afford a new boat until your too old to do it anymore. Not that I am there yet, but 40 is rapidly approaching for this guy!
    The solution exists: it’s called Moomba.

[QUOTE=jcarter20;327840]
    Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    QUOTE]

I guess the real question should be if your new moomba is better for what you do than your 2005 Supra.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

-good point there too!

Quote Originally Posted by SorryCharlie View Post
    Just wondering how you guys treat other boaters on the lake. I'm on a large lake with plenty of room for boaters. When I'm just riding around or pulling a tube, I try to stay away from boats that are pulling skiers or surfers, etc. I also try to go behind the boat that's pulling instead of crossing their path from the front. I just got really irritated last weekend because a couple of boats flew right across our front and had plenty of room to go around us. Of course our surfer fell because of the wakes just created. Maybe I'm wrong here, but seems like alot of boaters don't have any courtesy at all.
    Fully agree and agree with many of the other comments. People are idiots and clueless. We had someone tailgating us while pulling a surfer. The rider fell and the other boat was within 20' of running her over. I had to power turn and head directly back at the boat following us to get them to veer off course. They though the whole thing was a joke.

Frequently cut off, people going the wrong direction, clueless of what is going on around them, people flying through no wake zones. We have begun complaining directly to the sheriff department. We can provide boat description, tag #'ers, and event details to them and they will follow up. This past weekend was the first weekend I have seen the patrol boat take any action.
    Derek & Poppy
    2010 Mobius LSV Sandrock/Fossil
    Gravity III ballast, wake plate, Z5, LEDs from Oznium (cup holders, helm, transom)
    Exile SX65M Cabin Speakers w/ Exile XM 15.4
    Exile SXT9Q Tower Speakers w/ Exile XM 30.2
    Exile 12" sub w/ XM12.1
    Exile ZLD MKII

[QUOTE=larry_arizona;327856]
    Quote Originally Posted by jcarter20 View Post

I guess the real question should be if your new moomba is better for what you do than your 2005 Supra.

Absolutely it is. I have 2 small kids and it has twice the amount of storage as the Supra did. Since I am getting more into surfing now, the bimini board storage is awesome. The autowake is a huge upgrade, the 6 pump ballast system, the capability to add much more ballast, the surf tabs, a cleaner and better wakeboard wake, gatorstep flooring....are just a few upgrades that I love. In my opinion (at least so far) Moomba is the best value for what you get on the market. I have buddies with other "entry level" boats and I would not trade my new Craz for any other brand. So did I need a Supra...No, but I do like the extra bling they have.

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    6 Pump Ballast, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Digital Cruise Pro 3 (paddle wheel)
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

2005 Supra Launch 22SSV - Sold

[QUOTE=jcarter20;327859]
    Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post

Absolutely it is. I have 2 small kids and it has twice the amount of storage as the Supra did. Since I am getting more into surfing now, the bimini board storage is awesome. The autowake is a huge upgrade, the 6 pump ballast system, the capability to add much more ballast, the surf tabs, a cleaner and better wakeboard wake, gatorstep flooring....are just a few upgrades that I love. In my opinion (at least so far) Moomba is the best value for what you get on the market. I have buddies with other "entry level" boats and I would not trade my new Craz for any other brand. So did I need a Supra...No, but I do like the extra bling they have.
    Perfect!!!

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

We stay off the water completely on the major holidays. Kind of sad really but there is usually no good water all day (after 10 am) so no big deal. We avoid the danger of the idiots and the extra cop patrols. Most of all, we avoid the ramp where idiots reign. Have a safe day today everybody. We'll be at a kids' event then hanging out by the pool.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!