Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Setup 2000 Mobius direct drive for best wake push

Hey all, newbie here, I wanted to get some advice on boat setup for the best possible wake to surf on. My current config is the stock internal ballast as well as 400lb bags on on either side of motor as well as a 400 lb bag at the bow between the seats. Also, I made a diy wake shaper that helps immensely with the shape of wake (note: pic attached shows it much forward then the way we have it now which is farther back).... I do find that in order to get a clean wake I have to drive at about 15mph. I wish I could drive slower but wave is mushy below that. Although the wake seems nice i feel that there isn't any push coming from it... please advise if there is anything I can do to improve it.

thanks.... Fred

I will be attaching pics in next thread...

Interesting that you can't get a clean wake below 15. We only use the stock 400 below the bench and a wake shaper on the non-surf side at the furthest back position (right at the transom). With so little weight, the pocket is short, but it's pretty clean. I've found that a little bit of lean is necessary, even with the wakeshaper. Not a lot though. Maybe try only filling to 300lbs on the surf side of one of your side bags?

Also, if your surf side is the opposite of the driver, you'll need to counter the driver's weight.
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Would love to see your boat!

20180627_093439_resized.jpg20180623_111605_resized.jpg20180627_093555_resized.jpg20180627_100906_resized.jpg20180627_100856_resized (1).jpg

here are the pics...we moved the shaper back as far as we could (not the pic shown) to get the best result so far...

when you say lean...do you mean lean towards the surfer side or shaper side?

You want the boat slightly leaning lower on the surfers side. Having the wake shaper reduces how much lean (or list) is needed. You need a lot of list without the shaper.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

I have a very similar setup and just purchased a 325lbs additional bag for the front that I have yet to try. 03 Mobius LS 800lbs stock ballast plus 2 X 400lbs right where you have them on either side of the engine. One additional variable is the prop, the guy I buy it from upgraded to a 3 blade ACME 1609 13x11.5 which seems to have a good balance of torque and top end. I usually set our Perfect Pass at 14-15 mph. In addition to the new bag for the front I bought a bit larger board to try as well to help with the lower overall push vs the newer/ larger V-drive boats.
    Mckeddie- 2003 Mobius LS in Peoria, AZ

Default Decent wake without the new bag up front yet

Have you checked your speed with GPS? You might be running 11.5 and the speedo is off. Either way, agree that you have to have a little list to the surf side. Deploy your gate on the opposite side-- it should wipe out the opposite wake and allow the surf side wake to "take over". Run up to about 9.5 mph and have a look. Increase speed by .3 -.5 at a time till you see the nice dark face of the wave.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Update- I tried out the new bag up front and it did seem to make much of a difference it terms of push. One big thing that changes were I checked the calibrate on my speedo and it was way off. I thought I was going 15 mph but I was really only going 11 according to a GPS app which I tested on the drive a felt was accurate. The wave seems nice a fairly dialed in at 11-12 mph but I tried a new (to me) 5' Rocket surfboard and it just didn't have enough push for me to let go. I might just need to get a better board to compensate for a persumabley softer DD wake. Thoughts?