Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Serious BoatMate trailer issues!!!!!

First time posting. I have a 2002 outback I bought used and it came with the original BoatMate trailer. Well I have been trying to contact BoatMate since yesterday to no response or call back left a voicemail with name and phone number each time. I have wanted to contact them in regards to maybe purchasing a new trailer or seeing what they are willing to do since I believe the issue I am having is a manufacturing defect or more accurately manufacturing neglect. I have searched this forum and have seen they have great customer service but I so far I have not personally experienced that. The problem I am having is that the frame on the trailer while coming back from the lake this past weekend has buckled from rust. The reason I am trying to contact BoatMate is that the rust has developed from a hole that was cut in the frame from factory for the front marker light in front of the fender and was not treated to prevent the rust. The entire inside of the frame is untreated and rusted pretty bad. The kind of rust that has developed to cause this just isnÂ’t something that happened overnight and takes years to get to this point of structural weakness. Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue? In my opinion this is a huge safety issue and needs to be addressed especially if they are not treating raw metal on a boat trailer that is obviously submerged in water quit frequently. Lastly does anyone have a trailer for sale rather buy one that is not being used than buy a new one.
    2002 outback 310hp blue and white

Quote Originally Posted by Der11p02 View Post
    First time posting. I have a 2002 outback I bought used and it came with the original BoatMate trailer. Well I have been trying to contact BoatMate since yesterday to no response or call back left a voicemail with name and phone number each time. I have wanted to contact them in regards to maybe purchasing a new trailer or seeing what they are willing to do since I believe the issue I am having is a manufacturing defect or more accurately manufacturing neglect. I have searched this forum and have seen they have great customer service but I so far I have not personally experienced that. The problem I am having is that the frame on the trailer while coming back from the lake this past weekend has buckled from rust. The reason I am trying to contact BoatMate is that the rust has developed from a hole that was cut in the frame from factory for the front marker light in front of the fender and was not treated to prevent the rust. The entire inside of the frame is untreated and rusted pretty bad. The kind of rust that has developed to cause this just isnÂ’t something that happened overnight and takes years to get to this point of structural weakness. Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue? In my opinion this is a huge safety issue and needs to be addressed especially if they are not treating raw metal on a boat trailer that is obviously submerged in water quit frequently. Lastly does anyone have a trailer for sale rather buy one that is not being used than buy a new one.
    Your trailer is 16 years old. I think the expectation for any kind of warranty is a bit unrealistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Absolutely not unrealistic one bit since the trailer wasn’t properly treated. It was set up for failure since day one.

I just sold my 1998 boat with a Boatmate and it had normal wear and tear and rust on the inside. No different than any other trailer I had. I assume you have the history of the trailer including whether it was used in brackish water and you had a metallurgical study performed and did analysis of other Boatmate trailers of that year to find a common cause. Show us a picture of the area of question as I have never seen a Boatmate trailer with a marker light inserted into the frame but rather the running boards. I too vote two thumbs down.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

The light is not in the frame but in the running board as you stated but the hole is cut for the wiring to pass through and every hole that was cut or drilled for the wiring is rusting pretty bad. I am and engineer for a metal building manufacturer and it is required to tread all exposed metal as to keep it from rusting. Now i understand if it was due to neglect or paint has come off from what ever happened but this is not the case. The inside of the boxed raw metal frame was not treaded or addressed and has since caused this issue. I can provide pictures later when I get the boat off the trailer and stored at a dock till I can get this situation resolved.

Absolutely not unrealistic one bit since the trailer wasn’t properly treated. It was set up for failure since day one.
    If you got 16 years out of what you call an "unproperly treated" trailer, you're doing well. I doubt you're going to get much moral support here or from Boatmate. I think it's an unrealistic expectation to think it should be warrantied.
    2017 Moomba Helix
    Flow 2.0
    AutoWake
    Surf Edition
    WM Rears 1200s
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    Fat Sac 400s (Midship compartments)
    LeadWake bags

OP,

16 years is far beyond reason. I can’t even fathom the question.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

The inside of the boxed raw metal frame was not treaded or addressed and has since caused this issue.
    I would bet money that not a single trailer manufacturer out there treats the inside of the boxed frame.
    read this thread and especially post 14/15. put your wayback hat on and see this was an issue when your boat was new. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=180850
    I have owned 2 trailers- 1 boatmate and 1 metalcraft- and can say that if I received 16 years of solid use out of either I would be happy.

good luck in your quest and guessing you will not find an empathetic ear here.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I've seen some GM trucks rust out quicker than that. 16 years is a pretty long life for a trailer, especially when you don't know the history of it.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnva View Post
    I've seen some GM trucks rust out quicker than that. 16 years is a pretty long life for a trailer, especially when you don't know the history of it.
    My 2002 GMC Sierra has rusting rocker panels and the lower edge of the doors and tailgate. I wonder if GM will warranty this?? LOL

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan