Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Craz surf setup tips

I surfed goofy yesterday with 9.5” pitch and 5.5” roll and the wave was awesome.

What I have found to be the best trick for getting consistency is set up the wave how you want it with all the bags full, using the Cruise function, and get the wakeplate around 15% and port surfplate at 65% for goofy and 55% for natural foot.

Then I switched into autowake to see what my pitch and roll was with the wave how I liked it, then set the pitch and roll in the autowake menu to those values.

Then I could just leave it in Autowake and it would stay the same always!

The pitch was about the same for both sides, but the roll was slightly different.

Also I find that it’s better to fill all the bags manually first, before you engage Autowake, otherwise it won’t always fill everything, even if you have amplitude set to 100.....

I also surf at around 11-11.2mph, but my son who is 85# surfs at 12mph.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stazi; 07-24-2018 at 02:39 PM.
    2017 Moomba Craz

So you guys are making me nervous. I posted a thread about ordering a Cruz and how we like to surf but if you buy a new boat that is advertised as being a surf boat, then have to add in lead sacks and change out the bags...?? That's extremely concerning! I guess I'm in for a trial ride before I sign on the dotted line.

Sounds like Moomba needs to go to a side wakeplate (wakegate) like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by wired1236 View Post
    So you guys are making me nervous. I posted a thread about ordering a Cruz and how we like to surf but if you buy a new boat that is advertised as being a surf boat, then have to add in lead sacks and change out the bags...?? That's extremely concerning! I guess I'm in for a trial ride before I sign on the dotted line.

Sounds like Moomba needs to go to a side wakeplate (wakegate) like everyone else.
    That design is patented, so they would have to pay royalties to Malibu if they did.
    The first boats that came out had undersized bags (mine were 650’s). These days they are shipping with 900lb bags instead. Would it be better if they shipped with the biggest bags possible? Sure...but you would loose all storage space and exceed the max weight placards. Nonetheless people upgrade to get the biggest bags they can and don’t care about storage.
    No matter what you order for a boat, you find that most people do upgrades because they want the biggest wave they can get. My buddies brand new G23 surfs no better than my boat with its stock ballast. Could he add bags on top of the Built intanks of course, but again this is an upgrade. And go price out the custom fit bags for a G23 and get back to us.....
    At the end of the day you can buy a Moomba, add bigger bags, lead etc. and still be ahead in both performance and cost of a lot of the other boats out there.
    Even my other buddy’s Axis which probably cost the same as my Craz and has a inferior interior, tower, dash etc, needs bigger bags to compete with my boat, and it comes with the Malibu gates. So it’s up to the buyer and what he values. I have yet to see a turn-key boat that compares with Moomba that gives you the same value for money.

2017 Moomba Craz

Maybe buy a Malibu if you are dead set on the gate option.

Each OEM does it a different way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry_arizona; 07-30-2018 at 02:23 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Everyone else? Besides Malibu and Nautique with NSS, everyone uses some sort of trim plate tab system. Btw, Axis only comes with hard tanks, you have to add plug and play bags to get a decent wave.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    That design is patented, so they would have to pay royalties to Malibu if they did.
    The first boats that came out had undersized bags (mine were 650’s). These days they are shipping with 900lb bags instead. Would it be better if they shipped with the biggest bags possible? Sure...but you would loose all storage space and exceed the max weight placards. Nonetheless people upgrade to get the biggest bags they can and don’t care about storage.
    No matter what you order for a boat, you find that most people do upgrades because they want the biggest wave they can get. My buddies brand new G23 surfs no better than my boat with its stock ballast. Could he add bags on top of the Built intanks of course, but again this is an upgrade. And go price out the custom fit bags for a G23 and get back to us.....
    At the end of the day you can buy a Moomba, add bigger bags, lead etc. and still be ahead in both performance and cost of a lot of the other boats out there.
    Even my other buddy’s Axis which probably cost the same as my Craz and has a inferior interior, tower, dash etc, needs bigger bags to compete with my boat, and it comes with the Malibu gates. So it’s up to the buyer and what he values. I have yet to see a turn-key boat that compares with Moomba that gives you the same value for money.

Agree on all points. I'm not going to pay $100k+++ just to get a gate. I guess it's just disappointing you have to in this case as it's a great way to not list your boat. I'm sure there are many others that feel the same way but I don't want to start that whole conversation. That horse has been beaten enough IMO. Thanks all!

Agree on all points. I'm not going to pay $100k+++ just to get a gate. I guess it's just disappointing you have to in this case as it's a great way to not list your boat. I'm sure there are many others that feel the same way but I don't want to start that whole conversation. That horse has been beaten enough IMO. Thanks all!
    Most of us are running with a list of less than 5° so it not like the old days prior to the wave shaping devices where you were listed at 20°. It’s not even something I really notice anymore.

2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Most of us are running with a list of less than 5° so it not like the old days prior to the wave shaping devices where you were listed at 20°. It’s not even something I really notice anymore.

That's what I'm starting to understand reading more of the posts. Good to hear!

It took me a while to dial the wave in but, I added enzos and lead and my wake is huge. Watched a guy with an axis but the wake was really short. On lake Whatcom there is a guy with a Malibu that complemented the Moomba wake after seeing the rollers I was throwing across the lake.
    2018 Craz, 3000lbs stock ballast, ENZOs, 500lb Lead Ballast, Still chasing the best wave!

If you look at that study comparing Mastercraft Surf tab system to Malibu’s gate system, the surf tabs outperformed the gate system on almost every category.

https://utahwatersports.com/wp-conte...f_Study_06.pdf

I truly believe the Surf Tab systems provide more push and adjustability over the gate system. My buddy at our lake has a 2016 Axis with Gate and his wave is no where close to the wave my old 08 LSV throws with the wakeland mfg surf tab system. He has added more weight to the bow and rear and still can’t throw a decent wave. In addition, the SurfGate system is either deployed or not. There is no adjustability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV