Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

One more....the surf tab settings are deep in the computer. Is there a way to change these "on the fly"? Or do I have to stop the boat each time to adjust?

If your boat has stock bags in rear, they are most likely 650's and you will most likely have to switch to 1100's or Enzo's in order to ever have a decent wave. At 165 lbs. you should not need a shaper or extra ballast based on what you posted that you already have. The lakes I frequent are anywhere from 40 ft. to 150 ft. deep where we surf. I have heard that depth does make a difference in that it at least needs to be 15-20 ft. deep or more. Try this... next time you are at the lake, fill your ballast to 100% everywhere. Set cruise at about 10.7 mph and put wakeplate all the way up. Watch it, because after you accelerate, wakeplate will return to 50% or to your last setting if boat hasn't been turned off. Have port (regular) surf tab set at 0%. After reaching 10.7 mph, begin changing surf tab 5% at a time, watching what wave does each time you change it. At 30-40% you should see a pretty good (Steep but not very long) wave forming. This is where I have to ride with a small crew in order to have enough push. You will notice as you increase the percentage, the wave will become not as steep and longer with each increment you change it. My guess, for your weight (and depending on which board you are riding), you will probably be satisfied at about the 55-70% range. Also, once you get a nice wave rolling, you will notice that speeding up or deploying wakeplate down in different increments will change wave also. Generally more speed or wakeplate further down means less steep and longer wave. I think once you try the initial steps I recommended you will be able to play with the speed and wakeplate and adjust it to a wave you will love. Remember, If you have 13 people in the boat, like I did on the 4th, you need more surf plate and more wakeplate. I was able to surf with wakeplate almost all the way down and port surf tab at 55% at 11.2 mph with all that weight in the boat and remember, I weigh 275! Also, there is only the one place to adjust surf tab percentages. It is easy to go up as someone is surfing, but if you go too far, you have to go all the way past 100%, back to 0% and back up. Usually when doing this you will lose your wave and have to start over (unless you are really good and really fast!). Just takes time to get it all down.
    Last edited by hawgtitan; 07-22-2018 at 06:46 PM.
    2016 Moomba Craz
    2014 Chaparral H2O 21 Sport
    1997 Sea Ray 175 Sport

You need at least 15 feet of water to make any decent waves to surf on. Sorry but that’s the truth any shallower than that and the lack of depth seriously affects the way the water is pushed under the boat to create a wave.

Also it is very easy to change the surf tab amount while on the fly if you are either in regular driving mode or in Cruise. You cannot change it while you are in autowake. To access it you have to press the right most button that lets you look at the ballast levels and then you use the up or down buttons that corresponds to the plus minus carats, and that will change the amount of deployment each surf tab deploys, individually, depending if you have the surf switch to the left or to the right.
    The right surf tab is for surfing natural foot, a.k.a. the left (port) side of the boat, and the left surf tab is used for when you surf goofy on the right (starboard) side of the boat.
    The screen will look like this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Default Craz surf setup tips

BTW, I have a 2017 Craz, so I apologize. The screens are totally different.
    Last edited by Stazi; 07-22-2018 at 07:01 PM.
    2017 Moomba Craz

gage.jpg Here is my wave behind my 2016 Craz. Cameral angle helps, but it is pretty nice!
    2016 Moomba Craz
    2014 Chaparral H2O 21 Sport
    1997 Sea Ray 175 Sport

I think the depth of your lake is throwing you off I have a 16 craz when it had stock ballast I surfed at 185 lbs as a beginner and just a couple of people in the boat

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    You need at least 15 feet of water to make any decent waves to surf on. Sorry but that’s the truth any shallower than that and the lack of depth seriously affects the way the water is pushed under the boat to create a wave.

Also it is very easy to change the surf tab amount while on the fly if you are either in regular driving mode or in Cruise. You cannot change it while you are in autowake. To access it you have to press the right most button that lets you look at the ballast levels and then you use the up or down buttons that corresponds to the plus minus carats, and that will change the amount of deployment each surf tab deploys, individually, depending if you have the surf switch to the left or to the right.
    The right surf tab is for surfing natural foot, a.k.a. the left (port) side of the boat, and the left surf tab is used for when you surf goofy on the right (starboard) side of the boat.
    The screen will look like this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This is really helpful. thanks. The shallow water is an issue, but even when I get to the max depth of 25' in my lake the wave is just ok. The 'best' I can make it is when I really list the boat with almost all the ballast and all the people on one side. I wonder if I can upgrade my screen, yours looks easier than mine to adjust.

did I see a ballast bag on your rear seat? Is that the trick? more ballast in the rear? If I put more in front I'm afraid I'll swamp the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by bpaul1033 View Post
    did I see a ballast bag on your rear seat? Is that the trick? more ballast in the rear? If I put more in front I'm afraid I'll swamp the boat.
    More ballast in the rear will definitely ramp up the wave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

I am running a '18 Craz and I have noticed that the boat needs more roll and pitch then autowake suggests, at least for bigger people. I made a good wave one day that had push in the back of the wave and I could move up the wave without pumping and just pushing down on the front of my board. Figured it would be easy to recreate and we were not able to do it last weekend. So I know your frustration where you bought a new surf boat, expected to flip some switches and surf. Turns out building a wave is more of an art form then the videos show.

When we slammed it out and had most people in the back with the pitch close to 10 and the roll above 3 we saw tons in the back of the wave.

When we slammed it and it was 9 on the pitch and 2.5 on the roll the wave only had good push up front near the swim step and was really weak in the back.

We have been doing a ton of experimenting to find the best wave and are getting closer. We tried some of the 11+ speed setting that some people are recommending but found it hard to stay with the boat and the back of the wave did not have the push we wanted.
    2018 Craz, 3000lbs stock ballast, ENZOs, 500lb Lead Ballast, Still chasing the best wave!